The Student Room Group

how likely is it for CIE to increase grades with a re-mark

I was very upset with the grades i got for english, chem and lit as they are usually my strongest. I think the lowest i have eevr gotten was a 75% for both lit and english. When i wrote the exam i was very comfortable and english gave me a bit of grief but over all i was expecting it to be a 70% at the least. Somehow i scores A's in all three. I was off by 1 mark in chem, 8 marks in english and 2 marks in lit. I have applied for a re-mark but i just wanted to know if it is probable that there may be a change?
Reply 1
Possible but certainly not probable.

If you are 8 marks off the next grade up in a subject I would check to see how close you are to the grade boundary below and think very carefully before risking a review of marking.
Reply 2
Original post by EOData
Possible but certainly not probable.

If you are 8 marks off the next grade up in a subject I would check to see how close you are to the grade boundary below and think very carefully before risking a review of marking.

I was at an 84 for english, which i do realise is quite close to the boundary, but my examainations officer said that it was very unlikely it would go down so i thought there may not be any harm in trying.
Reply 3
Original post by peggypuggy
I was at an 84 for english, which i do realise is quite close to the boundary, but my examainations officer said that it was very unlikely it would go down so i thought there may not be any harm in trying.

They do go down and if you're closer to the boundary below than the one above I would definitely not risk it. Although I haven't a huge experience of CIE reviews of marking, it is mostly with IGCSE English Language (4 years of 120 candidates a year, with about 8 going for a review every year - so around 32 reviews) I have never seen one go up by more than 3 though one did go down 5. Your chances of it going up 8 are extremely small.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by EOData
They do go down and if you're closer to the boundary below than the one above I would definitely not risk it. Although I haven't a huge experience of CIE reviews of marking, it is mostly with IGCSE English Language (4 years of 120 candidates a year, with about 8 going for a review every year - so around 32 reviews) I have never seen one go up by more than 3 though one did go down 5. Your chances of it going up 8 are extremely small.

Oh i see, thanks for the insight, hopefully i wont be marked down. Almost 40 students got an A* for it at my school and most of them were not that good at it (at least not enough for an A*), according to my english teacher who is the HoD so i thought i'd give it a shot.

Quick Reply

Latest