The Student Room Group

I’m mentally crippling

I’ve been so positive since the start of January but things are starting to slip again and I don’t want that, not again.
Reply 1
Emotions will fluctuate. They must. How strange if they didn't!

Care to share more of what you're experiencing?
Reply 2
Original post by IOPerry
Emotions will fluctuate. They must. How strange if they didn't!

Care to share more of what you're experiencing?

Everything seems to be okay, work, studying, family and friends, but then all of a sudden it all becomes too much and I feel alone.
Original post by Anonymous
Everything seems to be okay, work, studying, family and friends, but then all of a sudden it all becomes too much and I feel alone.

Even though everything seems to be okay, what's making it not okay for you?

Why do you feel alone?

When do you start feeling it all becomes a bit too much?
(edited 2 years ago)

The important part is recognising it and then applying a coping mechanism (I appreciate, easier said than done!). For example, does exercise help? Taking your dog for a walk? Getting outside? I mention these, as exercise definitely helps me, but everyone is different.

Also, don't be afraid to seek professional help, as they will be able to assist in recognising the signs and developing coping mechanisms/strategies. I wish you luck with it.
Reply 5
Original post by KA_P
Even though everything seems to be okay, what's making it not okay for you?

Why do you feel alone?

When do you start feeling it all becomes a bit too much?

Things start okay and then get difficult.
I feel alone because I feel as though I have no one to turn to, nobody understands what’s going on. It all becomes too much when I think about what needs doing, which at the moment is a lot.
Reply 6
Original post by BlueChicken
The important part is recognising it and then applying a coping mechanism (I appreciate, easier said than done!). For example, does exercise help? Taking your dog for a walk? Getting outside? I mention these, as exercise definitely helps me, but everyone is different.

Also, don't be afraid to seek professional help, as they will be able to assist in recognising the signs and developing coping mechanisms/strategies. I wish you luck with it.

I’ve actually been trying meditation. The positive mindset really makes me feel good. Though things start going wrong and reality starts to catch up.

I don’t think I could seek professional help, not because I don’t have access or am scared to, but because everyone thinks I’m okay and just have the occasional mood swing.
Reply 7
I’ve actually been trying meditation. The positive mindset really makes me feel good. Though things start going wrong and reality starts to catch up.

I don’t think I could seek professional help, not because I don’t have access or am scared to, but because everyone thinks I’m okay and just have the occasional mood swing.

I am doing my best in meditating (and/or prayers, if you're religious) too! And they have been really helpful for maintaining my sanity and moods, so it's good to hear that you are trying to practice it.

Honestly, professional help goes a long way. It doesn't have to be a psychiatrist necessarily, could be a counsellor or coach. For instance, for people with BPD, DBT therapies and workbooks are a good way for figuring out what coping mechanisms work well for them and if there needs to be any alteration in their mindset or habits to improve their overall well-being. You don't need to have any problems to have some sort of consultation ya' know :yes:

Hi there.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling at your best.

Is there anyone in your life you feel you comfortable enough to talk to? A close friend, teacher, parent or family member, neighbor.

If not we're here to listen to you :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by wifd149
I am doing my best in meditating (and/or prayers, if you're religious) too! And they have been really helpful for maintaining my sanity and moods, so it's good to hear that you are trying to practice it.

Honestly, professional help goes a long way. It doesn't have to be a psychiatrist necessarily, could be a counsellor or coach. For instance, for people with BPD, DBT therapies and workbooks are a good way for figuring out what coping mechanisms work well for them and if there needs to be any alteration in their mindset or habits to improve their overall well-being. You don't need to have any problems to have some sort of consultation ya' know :yes:

Thanks I’ve been trying to figure out a way to track the things that make a good day as opposed to bad.
Guess you could just say I’m just shy about talking about it aloud or even on tsr (hence the anon)
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling at your best.

Is there anyone in your life you feel you comfortable enough to talk to? A close friend, teacher, parent or family member, neighbor.

If not we're here to listen to you :smile:

Hi,
I talk to various people but not directly about my problems, maybe I’m scared of being judged? I just also feel like nobody will quite understand me.
Thank you.
Thanks I’ve been trying to figure out a way to track the things that make a good day as opposed to bad.
Guess you could just say I’m just shy about talking about it aloud or even on tsr (hence the anon)

That sounds like a good plan budding already mate! :thumbsup: I am always keeping mine open as well. It takes time but it sure is worth it.

About being shy though, maybe you can look up tips, care plans, and whatnot on the Internet that might be relevant and/or useful to you meanwhile? Being semi-prepared at least makes me less shy in social situations :yep:
I’ve been so positive since the start of January but things are starting to slip again and I don’t want that, not again.

You can get support and there is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by wifd149
That sounds like a good plan budding already mate! :thumbsup: I am always keeping mine open as well. It takes time but it sure is worth it.

About being shy though, maybe you can look up tips, care plans, and whatnot on the Internet that might be relevant and/or useful to you meanwhile? Being semi-prepared at least makes me less shy in social situations :yep:

It definitely is worth it, hopefully I’ll see that it pays off!

Im actually very talkative just shy about opening up I think, but I’ll definitely look into how I can change that :smile:
Original post by TriplexA
Do you feel comfortable discussing it on here as your anonymous?

We can't directly help you but sometimes knowing someone's listening helps.

Thank you, you’re right it is reassuring to know that somebody is listening.

I guess I just don’t know how to deal with multiple things at once and worry that I’ll never achieve what I want.
Original post by Analyst89
You can get support and there is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest