The Student Room Group

Eyesight

Hi,i failed my driving test because i couldnt read the number plate in the dark time ,was very poor light and even tho ,they said is a fail, i tried 2 times... is it normal to fail you even is not your fault?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh no - Yes it is because if you can't read the number plate you may be unsafe to drive the examiner. Your Instructor should have checked this as well when you first started driving?

I couldn't find any restrictions on the eyesight test for DVSA test conditions to be held in daylight. So I would think you still have to be able to read the number plate in fading light. Maybe just get an eyesight test before you go any further?

The Road Traffic Act 1988 gives Legal information for eye sight checks - that the vision (reading a number plate) should be tested in good 'daylight' which is the time half an hour before Sunrise to half an hour after sunset
It kind of is your fault for not wearing glasses or contact lenses to correct your vision when driving
Reply 3
If you can't read something which is 2 and a half car lengths away, extremely small distance, btw, it's dangerous to others and yourself.
It’s not ur fault not all people grow up with glasses and contact because it’s so high and many people can’t afford it you know you should treat ur eyes right as you get older ur eyes sight going to get bad my advice you go to the eye doctor and get you some nice glasses I heard you can get glasses that is affordable now .
This is a quote from the 'DT1' which is the set of instructions that driving examiners use as guidance -

Eyesight: read in good daylight (with the aid of glasses or contact lenses if worn) a registration mark fixed to a motor vehicle and containing letters and figures 79.4 millimetres high at a distance of 20.5 metres (or 20 metres for new style number plates).

If as you say, it was getting dark at the time you tried to read the number plate, then the test should have been terminated for bad light and not recorded as a failure.
Reply 6
I imagine there must be guidance on this as many tests will not be done in good daylight. I believe the standard is not particularly difficult. A bit remiss not to check this out ahead of the test, both for safety and the fact it’s the first thing on the test that if you fail you’re going nowhere
Original post by black tea
It kind of is your fault for not wearing glasses or contact lenses to correct your vision when driving

It was very dark outside at that tine 7o clock in the morning, and very poor lighting
I checkd many times my eyesight with my instructor and i have no problem on daylight, but i don't understand something there was a girl in front of me trying to read that number plate and her examinator said ok let s go in the car she passed how is it possible, i dont think is correct
Original post by slartibartfast4
This is a quote from the 'DT1' which is the set of instructions that driving examiners use as guidance -

Eyesight: read in good daylight (with the aid of glasses or contact lenses if worn) a registration mark fixed to a motor vehicle and containing letters and figures 79.4 millimetres high at a distance of 20.5 metres (or 20 metres for new style number plates).

If as you say, it was getting dark at the time you tried to read the number plate, then the test should have been terminated for bad light and not recorded as a failure.

Yes he said i failed ,I told vin is very dark time ,and he ask me you want me to measure the distance and check again and if you do this and cannot see i will suspend your provisional ,or i put you like a fail ,i choose to fail.. even i know was not my fault was very dark 7'o clock in the morning.. but i don't understand why i haven't recieved an email saying that i failed... he just told me I failed and that's it
Reply 9
He must have been very worried about your standard of eyesight?

Original post by ANA-MARIA DIA
Yes he said i failed ,I told vin is very dark time ,and he ask me you want me to measure the distance and check again and if you do this and cannot see i will suspend your provisional ,or i put you like a fail ,i choose to fail.. even i know was not my fault was very dark 7'o clock in the morning.. but i don't understand why i haven't recieved an email saying that i failed... he just told me I failed and that's it

It would be interesting to know how guidance that says "in good daylight" is consistent with holding tests at 7am in January.

@TheDE -- do you have any thoughts?
Original post by Muttly
He must have been very worried about your standard of eyesight?

I'm not sure,but how can i see in the dark i mean was very poor light 🥺
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Some difficulties with reading and eyesight are compounded many times by poor light.
Original post by ANA-MARIA DIA
It was very dark outside at that tine 7o clock in the morning, and very poor lighting
I checkd many times my eyesight with my instructor and i have no problem on daylight, but i don't understand something there was a girl in front of me trying to read that number plate and her examinator said ok let s go in the car she passed how is it possible, i dont think is correct

Well if the examiner could read the number plate and you couldn't, then clearly there is something wrong with your vision. The girl presumably also managed to read it or else she wouldn't have been allowed to get in the car.

Original post by black tea
Well if the examiner could read the number plate and you couldn't, then clearly there is something wrong with your vision. The girl presumably also managed to read it or else she wouldn't have been allowed to get in the car.

My examiner didn't read the number plate in the end for me , and i haven't recieved an email saying that i failed , do you know why? Because i think after failing you should recieve an email saying that i failed
Reply 15
Could you see any details of the car? You don't actually say?
Reply 16
Seriously - your eye sight has to be very bad not to be able to read a registration plate at the required distance. It might help you to go back to the test centre (don't drive though) with someone of confirmed eyesight. Find a car parked in a similar position and try and read the number plate at a similar time of day (although the mornings are now getting lighter) Keep taking steps toward the car until you can accurately read the plate - then measure how many strides you are away from the back of the car. You will know just how bad your eyesight is - but by sounds of it you will have to go to an opticians. The important thing is to check whether the examiner did revoke your driving licence. If that is the case you will not be able to drive at all and when you reapply for your driving licence you would have to submit medical evidence ie opticians report.

You would be surprised how many people have serious eyesight issues and have no idea it is bad until they learn to drive or have a driving test. If you have lived with defective eye sight you may not even realise this as you accept poor eyesight as normal as you have never known any different.

The practical driving test eyesight test - Govt published material
At the start of your practical driving test you have to correctly read a number plate on a parked vehicle.

If you cannot, you’ll fail your driving test and the test will not continue. DVLA will be told and your licence will be revoked.

When you reapply for your driving licence, DVLA will ask you to have an eyesight test with DVSA. This will be at a driving test centre. If you’re successful, you’ll still have to pass the DVSA standard eyesight test at your next practical driving test.

General guidance
If you cannot read the number plate the examiner will ask you to read a second number plate and if necessary take you a little closer to just over the required distance. If you still have a problem the examiner will then measure the exact distance and check your ability to read a third number plate.

I am genuinely sorry you are clearly quite upset and annoyed over all of this. Your Instructor should have known about this though?
I don't understand how you can have been doing a driving test at 7am - UK driving tests are only done during daylight hours and sunrise is more like 7:45 at the moment even in the extreme south east.
Original post by Muttly
Seriously - your eye sight has to be very bad not to be able to read a registration plate at the required distance. It might help you to go back to the test centre (don't drive though) with someone of confirmed eyesight. Find a car parked in a similar position and try and read the number plate at a similar time of day (although the mornings are now getting lighter) Keep taking steps toward the car until you can accurately read the plate - then measure how many strides you are away from the back of the car. You will know just how bad your eyesight is - but by sounds of it you will have to go to an opticians. The important thing is to check whether the examiner did revoke your driving licence. If that is the case you will not be able to drive at all and when you reapply for your driving licence you would have to submit medical evidence ie opticians report.

You would be surprised how many people have serious eyesight issues and have no idea it is bad until they learn to drive or have a driving test. If you have lived with defective eye sight you may not even realise this as you accept poor eyesight as normal as you have never known any different.

The practical driving test eyesight test - Govt published material
At the start of your practical driving test you have to correctly read a number plate on a parked vehicle.

If you cannot, you’ll fail your driving test and the test will not continue. DVLA will be told and your licence will be revoked.

When you reapply for your driving licence, DVLA will ask you to have an eyesight test with DVSA. This will be at a driving test centre. If you’re successful, you’ll still have to pass the DVSA standard eyesight test at your next practical driving test.

General guidance
If you cannot read the number plate the examiner will ask you to read a second number plate and if necessary take you a little closer to just over the required distance. If you still have a problem the examiner will then measure the exact distance and check your ability to read a third number plate.

I am genuinely sorry you are clearly quite upset and annoyed over all of this. Your Instructor should have known about this though?

I checked my eyesight with my instructor a few times but on daylight and i was fine , but in that morning was very dark that's why i couldnt see.. anyway I thought i failed but today my instructor send me message and he said is not a fail the examiner said the test cannot go ahead because is dark 🙄 and I thought i failed when he said like that ,but now do they have to give me the money back ? Because the test didnt go ahead? I mean he didn't failed me and a haven't recieved any email sayin that i failed, he just said the test cannot go ahead because is too dark , will they give me a refound or do i need to pay for a test again ?
Original post by skylark2
I don't understand how you can have been doing a driving test at 7am - UK driving tests are only done during daylight hours and sunrise is more like 7:45 at the moment even in the extreme south east.

Yes exactly i still don't understand why they allowing having tests so early, was soooo dark outside...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending