The Student Room Group

Failing alevel economics

I just found out I got 35% in my mock exam (yr13 btw) which is probably a U, extremely disappointed I’m predicted an A and need straight As for all my uni courses :frown:
I did revise, which is why I’m even more shocked and disappointed. I used past papers, cue cards and econplusdal on YouTube I can’t believe this has happened to me, so demotivated rn
Reply 2
Hi, I did the A-Level when it just came out, how do you answer the questions? Whilst it is good you revise I found Econ not to be about regurgitating facts.

When I answered questions I used to define the main term the question used to be about, i.e don't just introduce a concept, try to say what it is before you discuss it.

Graphs are your best friends. You can get loads of marks when using graphs and I always tried to have a graph -- On that note having the graph is not good if you don't explain it, so explain the graph and what it shows and what that means and link it to the problem.

Evaluate - While its good to say something from one side, try to evaluate it i.e if you're answering the question about a sugar tax and you are coming from it on a point where you are against the tax, do a paragraph where you try to poke holes in your arguments i.e

Sugar tax is a regressive tax, so it will burden the less well off more than the more wealthy member of society.........

However, whilst the less wealthy will be burdened more, the people from a lower socioeconomic background tend to suffer more from diseases such as obesity and diabetes. Using the tax to deter them from purchasing less healthy alternative can in turn ease the pressure on health... - link this to economics i.e the deficit?

Conclude
don't introduce new concepts or ideas just try to quickly summarise everything and finish off the essay by saying if its a good idea or not.

I haven't done A-Level economics in more than 4 years so I am a bit rusty but I believe that's how I answered the questions. The other members of TSR are likely more experienced than me and can probably provide you with better examples.

If you can, answer as many past paper questions as you can and give them to your teacher to mark, my teacher was always available for us to do that and I hope yours is available for this. Don't limit yourself to the new spec of A-Levels, also use the old a-level papers if you run out of exam questions.
Reply 3
Just want to add, please ask your teacher about what went wrong with and why the mark was low so you can improve. Your mistakes are good teachers.
Original post by Duzl
Hi, I did the A-Level when it just came out, how do you answer the questions? Whilst it is good you revise I found Econ not to be about regurgitating facts.

When I answered questions I used to define the main term the question used to be about, i.e don't just introduce a concept, try to say what it is before you discuss it.

Graphs are your best friends. You can get loads of marks when using graphs and I always tried to have a graph -- On that note having the graph is not good if you don't explain it, so explain the graph and what it shows and what that means and link it to the problem.

Evaluate - While its good to say something from one side, try to evaluate it i.e if you're answering the question about a sugar tax and you are coming from it on a point where you are against the tax, do a paragraph where you try to poke holes in your arguments i.e

Sugar tax is a regressive tax, so it will burden the less well off more than the more wealthy member of society.........

However, whilst the less wealthy will be burdened more, the people from a lower socioeconomic background tend to suffer more from diseases such as obesity and diabetes. Using the tax to deter them from purchasing less healthy alternative can in turn ease the pressure on health... - link this to economics i.e the deficit?

Conclude
don't introduce new concepts or ideas just try to quickly summarise everything and finish off the essay by saying if its a good idea or not.

I haven't done A-Level economics in more than 4 years so I am a bit rusty but I believe that's how I answered the questions. The other members of TSR are likely more experienced than me and can probably provide you with better examples.

If you can, answer as many past paper questions as you can and give them to your teacher to mark, my teacher was always available for us to do that and I hope yours is available for this. Don't limit yourself to the new spec of A-Levels, also use the old a-level papers if you run out of exam questions.

Thank you, I used graphs and evaluation, I think where I went wrong was not reading questions carefully and just overall gaps in my knowledge, what would you suggest for this?
Original post by Duzl
Just want to add, please ask your teacher about what went wrong with and why the mark was low so you can improve. Your mistakes are good teachers.

Have done this already actually, he showed me my section A (short answer response questions) most of the mistakes are just silly mistakes due to exam pressure. Quite fustrating but will definitely do more timed practice
Original post by TheFlash2024
Have done this already actually, he showed me my section A (short answer response questions) most of the mistakes are just silly mistakes due to exam pressure. Quite fustrating but will definitely do more timed practice

what exam board was this , have mine in one week and I'm a bit concerned about exam pressure aswell
Original post by ellis23456
what exam board was this , have mine in one week and I'm a bit concerned about exam pressure aswell

Edexcel Economics A, what urs?
I just found out I got 35% in my mock exam (yr13 btw) which is probably a U, extremely disappointed I’m predicted an A and need straight As for all my uni courses :frown:

35% is actually highly unlikely to be a U - more like a D. Have you googled the grade boundaries for the paper you sat, assuming your mock was an actual exam board paper?
Reply 9
Thank you, I used graphs and evaluation, I think where I went wrong was not reading questions carefully and just overall gaps in my knowledge, what would you suggest for this?

My Sidth Form provided me with the economics text books and I then referred to both the text books and econplusdal. There’s also danisrevision channel on yt but this is through the old syllabus (most of it is still relevant I think).
Original post by Reality Check
35% is actually highly unlikely to be a U - more like a D. Have you googled the grade boundaries for the paper you sat, assuming your mock was an actual exam board paper?

It was only one paper out of 3 but I compared it % wise to the 2019 grade boundaries, you needed 35.2% for an E
Original post by Duzl
My Sidth Form provided me with the economics text books and I then referred to both the text books and econplusdal. There’s also danisrevision channel on yt but this is through the old syllabus (most of it is still relevant I think).

My teacher doesn’t use textbooks but I will definitely be borrowing one from my classroom. Econplusdal is good too, the only homework my teacher sets is to make notes on his videos
It was only one paper out of 3 but I compared it % wise to the 2019 grade boundaries, you needed 35.2% for an E

Two words: pre pandemic

:smile:
Reply 13

Even if you fail don't worry jobsite will always take you
Go on uplearn heard it’s really good
Original post by Reality Check
Two words: pre pandemic

:smile:

True but I need an A
Original post by kazzers
Even if you fail don't worry jobsite will always take you

I’m not going to fail
Original post by Nadia19
Go on uplearn heard it’s really good

I’ve heard the opposite, I might get a personal tutor though
Reply 18

Check out these notes, A* analysis and evaluation. This has gotten me consistent a*. Edexcel economics A (Alevel) Covers all year 12 content. Some year 13 content

https://www.stuvia.com/bundle/101656/economics-edexcel-a-level-theme-1-1.1-1.2-1.3-1.4-revision-notes
https://www.stuvia.com/bundle/103454/economics-edexcel-a-level-year-12-macroeconomics-content-a-revision-guide

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending