The Student Room Group

Proportion Math GCSE problem. Help please

If it takes 6 men 4 days to dig a hole 3 meters deep, how long will it take 10 men to dig a hole 7 meters deep?
Original post by Tameema Nawar
6 men dig hole 3 metres deep in 4 days

PLEASE read the Maths forum rules and edit - it is not permitted to post solutions
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
PLEASE read the Maths forum rules and edit - it is not permitted to post solutions

If its not permitted to post solutions then what is the point of asking questions
Original post by JanaALEVEL
If its not permitted to post solutions then what is the point of asking questions

Well, the point of asking questions isn’t to just get the answer handed to you.

You get hints to lead you through - giving you the answer doesn't help. Maybe read the rules yourself?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4919248#post73536822
Reply 5
Original post by 0ptics
Well, the point of asking questions isn’t to just get the answer handed to you.

I didn't want the answer handed to me, I just wanted help in the question
If it takes 6 men 4 days to dig a hole 3 meters deep, how long will it take 10 men to dig a hole 7 meters deep?

So how long would 1 man take to dig a hole 3 metres deep?
(edited 2 years ago)
I didn't want the answer handed to me, I just wanted help in the question

Clearly not. :colonhash:
Reply 8
So how long would 1 man take to dig a hole 3 metres deep?

Are you trying to prove a point or do you genuinely want to help. If it's the latter then my answer is I don't know because I don't understand where to start
Are you trying to prove a point or do you genuinely want to help. If it's the latter then my answer is I don't know because I don't understand where to start

Rude! I'm trying to help :smile:

Think - will it take one man a longer or a shorter time than 6 men?

longer so if we do the ratio between 6 men who took 4 days and 1 man who took x days then its 6x4 which is 24 which means 1 man took 24 days (Is this right?) .
(edited 1 year ago)

at this rate, i would give up helping this person 😭

I'm doing GCSEs myself.
6 men = 4 days
divide by 6 to get one man and then times by 6 to get the number of days it would take
1 man = 24 days
now do the same for 10 men. it's kinda like you're doing the inverse
Original post by harlz_chalamet
I'm doing GCSEs myself.
6 men = 4 days
divide by 6 to get one man and then times by 6 to get the number of days it would take
1 man = 24 days
now do the same for 10 men. it's kinda like you're doing the inverse

Thanks I actually got it
Thanks I actually got it

Then you want the hole 7 metres deep - so you need to think about that.

I tend to get people to think about a hole one metre deep first - that will take less time so ....
yes I did that I got (7x4)/3 = 56 then I used this info to work out the ratio of 1 man who took 56 days to dig a 7m hole with the ratio of 10 men who took x days to dig a hole 7m deep. I eventually got 5.6 by dividing 56 days on the 10 men Thank you
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply