The Student Room Group

Should I have a career plan when I apply for a postgrad degree?

I just finished my undergrad in 2021 in Literature and I do really want to continue with education but I don't have any career plans/aspirations. I tend to always do courses that I find enjoyment in and I chose Literature for that reason and it's always been something that I'm passionate about. So my questions are, should I have a plan? is it a bad idea to not have a plan?
would u rather do an msc or take the money and go travelling or some kind of gap year
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by yeet_21
would u rather do an msc or take the money and go travelling or some kind of gap year

I would have to take out a loan to do it (I live in Scotland) and I'm honestly not a huge traveller, kind of just want to get my life on track and be happy (as cheesy at that sounds) haha
Original post by word_boxed
I would have to take out a loan to do it (I live in Scotland) and I'm honestly not a huge traveller, kind of just want to get my life on track and be happy (as cheesy at that sounds) haha

if you don't know why you're studying post grad you can't get things back on track
Original post by yeet_21
if you don't know why you're studying post grad you can't get things back on track

Yeah I guess so, never know though, it might bring more opportunities and ideas (though expensive ones), thanks for replying btw, I like hearing peoples opinions on this
Original post by word_boxed
I just finished my undergrad in 2021 in Literature and I do really want to continue with education but I don't have any career plans/aspirations. I tend to always do courses that I find enjoyment in and I chose Literature for that reason and it's always been something that I'm passionate about. So my questions are, should I have a plan? is it a bad idea to not have a plan?

Some people are OK with not having a plan and diving head first into anything they find enjoyable. That's perfectly fine if you are able to absorb the potential risks and consequences.

It's up to you. I wouldn't be comfortable in spending another year or two (and the potential income/career progression lost) studying without a rough plan. That's just me and you should lead your life the way you want to.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Id be concerned about losing the opportunity if you can only get funding for one masters degree. This could matter a lot when you look to starting a career.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Some people are OK with not having a plan and diving head first into anything they find enjoyable. That's perfectly fine if you are able to absorb the potential risks and consequences.

It's up to you. I wouldn't be comfortable in spending another year or two (and the potential income/career progression lost) studying without a rough plan. That's just me and you should lead your life the way you want to.

Thanks for the reply! yeah that's something that is also making me hesitate. I generally know that I'd like to pursue this topic in terms of a career but I just have absolutely no idea specifically what haha
Original post by ajj2000
Id be concerned about losing the opportunity if you can only get funding for one masters degree. This could matter a lot when you look to starting a career.

Thanks for the reply, yeah that's something that is making me hesitate too

Quick Reply

Latest