The Student Room Group

Want to give up in university

Hi,

I am studying Biology at uni. So far, I hate my course, I hate my exams, I don't mind my friends (in fact they're amazing ppl!) and I really want to drop out. I am only a first year but already feel that I can't cope with my life anymore. I am always busy: I am either at work or at university or at a driving lesson e.t.c and I cannot keep up with it all.

I've asked my university for help but I feel that they aren't taking me seriously. Why do I need to be 'very' mentally ill to receive help? Why can't I receive help early on when I know I might face a crisis later on in my course?

I am really struggling to stay happy and feel that my life isn't worth enjoying anymore. I feel empty and don't enjoy many things I used to anymore. I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression by my GP and know that something hasn't felt right with my for a long time.

Whoever is still reading, thank you so much for sticking around. I never used to feel like this about my education. I used to care about it a lot, but nowadays I don't care about what grade I get or what my parents think about me in terms of my education. My A-levels didn't go to plan so I feel that my disappointment has something to do with my feeling so empty about my life.

Finally, my question is: what do I do? I don't care about anything anymore :frown:
It sounds like you are overcommitted. Before you drop out of uni, at least try putting the driving lessons on hold, and unless you have no choice financially, cut your work hours right back, preferably to nothing during term time. Full time university study is equivalent to a full time job, and not an easy one. Your university can't make extra hours in the day for you - if your main problem is that you feel you don't have time for everything but it's because you have taken on so much extra stuff that you actually don't have time for everything, you don't need help (at least not as a first stage), you need to reduce your commitments so that you do have time.
Please seek help as soon as you can.

You need someone to seriously listen to your concerns about being unable to cope.

Try samaritans.

If you do not one day something will send you over the edge and you may do something you cannot come come back from.

First you need a breather from this endless activity of being busy.

Put off your driving lessons to the summer break.

Work wise how much do you really need to earn to survive.

Do you really hate your course or is it more you feel you have too much to do that is making you so unhappy and unable to cope.

The problem is this unrelenting push to get everyone into university at 18.

Perhaps you went too soon before you knew what you really wanted.

Was this course a second choice of what you really wanted to do because of A levels?

Perhaps if you really know that you have made a mistake then you should make a plan to leave.

So if you leave could you get some work to support yourself?

Where would you live.

Could you consider a quality apprenticeship that would allow you to work explore what you like and which would support you financially.

This then would give you time to make better plans for you.

Do not worry about how this appears to anyone.

When you are deeply unhappy only you will be at the misery party.

It takes strength of character to admit your made a mistake.

Its okay to be human.
Reply 3
Original post by skylark2
It sounds like you are overcommitted. Before you drop out of uni, at least try putting the driving lessons on hold, and unless you have no choice financially, cut your work hours right back, preferably to nothing during term time. Full time university study is equivalent to a full time job, and not an easy one. Your university can't make extra hours in the day for you - if your main problem is that you feel you don't have time for everything but it's because you have taken on so much extra stuff that you actually don't have time for everything, you don't need help (at least not as a first stage), you need to reduce your commitments so that you do have time.

Original post by LouiseRu
Please seek help as soon as you can.

You need someone to seriously listen to your concerns about being unable to cope.

Try samaritans.

If you do not one day something will send you over the edge and you may do something you cannot come come back from.

First you need a breather from this endless activity of being busy.

Put off your driving lessons to the summer break.

Work wise how much do you really need to earn to survive.

Do you really hate your course or is it more you feel you have too much to do that is making you so unhappy and unable to cope.

The problem is this unrelenting push to get everyone into university at 18.

Perhaps you went too soon before you knew what you really wanted.

Was this course a second choice of what you really wanted to do because of A levels?

Perhaps if you really know that you have made a mistake then you should make a plan to leave.

So if you leave could you get some work to support yourself?

Where would you live.

Could you consider a quality apprenticeship that would allow you to work explore what you like and which would support you financially.

This then would give you time to make better plans for you.

Do not worry about how this appears to anyone.

When you are deeply unhappy only you will be at the misery party.

It takes strength of character to admit your made a mistake.

Its okay to be human.

Thank you for the advice guys, I think I need to cancel my driving lessons. I want to work because it gives me an opportunity to get out of my house and talk to people. I also am currently living with my parents and want to move out into accommodation next year because of space problems.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I am studying Biology at uni. So far, I hate my course, I hate my exams, I don't mind my friends (in fact they're amazing ppl!) and I really want to drop out. I am only a first year but already feel that I can't cope with my life anymore. I am always busy: I am either at work or at university or at a driving lesson e.t.c and I cannot keep up with it all.

I've asked my university for help but I feel that they aren't taking me seriously. Why do I need to be 'very' mentally ill to receive help? Why can't I receive help early on when I know I might face a crisis later on in my course?

I am really struggling to stay happy and feel that my life isn't worth enjoying anymore. I feel empty and don't enjoy many things I used to anymore. I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression by my GP and know that something hasn't felt right with my for a long time.

Whoever is still reading, thank you so much for sticking around. I never used to feel like this about my education. I used to care about it a lot, but nowadays I don't care about what grade I get or what my parents think about me in terms of my education. My A-levels didn't go to plan so I feel that my disappointment has something to do with my feeling so empty about my life.

Finally, my question is: what do I do? I don't care about anything anymore :frown:

I think your overloaded is there any thing you can stop doing like the driving lessons (you can always do that later). Just cut out what you can all you really need to do is the classes and Mabel the job but see if you can cut down the hours. If that doesn’t help drop out. There is no shame in dropping out I’m fact in my book it’s to be applauded you have tried something realised it’s not for you and changed tack.There are plenty of jobs out there that don’t require a degree some of them are actually really fun.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for the advice guys, I think I need to cancel my driving lessons. I want to work because it gives me an opportunity to get out of my house and talk to people. I also am currently living with my parents and want to move out into accommodation next year because of space problems.

Do NOT quit driving lessons, then you will be out numberd by people who can drive when it comes to your career, you as then you might possibly be turned away by employers because you might as less reliable as people who can drive and it will be harder to learn the older you get so that is not something you want. It's all right having top grades, being graduated but you need basic skills as well. It upto you at the end of day though
I think the smartest thing to do right now is take some time out from uni. You should look into interrupting your studies, this will give you a mental break and allow you to focus on learning to drive, if you don't want to put that on hold. It will also allow you to recuperate some of the energy you used to have for studying because overworking yourself is possibly the worst thing you could do while at uni. In your time out, you can focus on other things to make you happy, and gain some new accomplishments like learning to drive. Then when you return to your studies, you'll be more motivated and you can see if it was juggling too many things at once or the subject/uni that was making you miserable and go from there. There's no shame in taking some time off, and I can't stress enough how crucial this is when you're struggling mentally, as I also was during my first term at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest