The Student Room Group

What A-Levels should I chose to become a vet?

To become a vet, I will need to take Biology and Chemistry, with Physics or Maths. I have read some people's chats on here and many say that if you want to take Physics, it is also highly recommended to take Maths as well due to Physics being a very maths-heavy subject.

I want to do Physics preferably, but I don't want to struggle with the maths part of it. Should I take all 3 sciences and maths?

I am predicted 7's in Science and a 7 in Maths but I'm not sure if I will get a 7. I suppose if I put enough work into it then I should get a 7 hopefully.

What's your advice???
what uni do you want to go to that requires physics or maths?
Original post by olivejuice241
what uni do you want to go to that requires physics or maths?

I'm aspiring to go to RVC (Royal Veterinary College- London), and that requires Biology, Chemistry, and either Physics or Maths. It's the same with most of the other universities.
having checked the rvc's entry requirements, they're the same as most unis for the five year vet med course. AAA with biology, chemistry and a third subject of your choice. the third subject can literally be anything (apart from general studies or critical thinking). this is the case at most unis - i believe the only school that prefer your third subject to be maths/physics is cambridge? but i might be wrong

since you're aiming for rvc, i figured i'd point out that the rvc website states 'There is no third subject which is preferred by selectors or gives any special advantage in the selection process. Science and non-science subjects are treated equally for the third subject.' so you can pick whichever subject you think you'd enjoy the most and have the best chance at getting the A grade :smile:
No vet uni requires you to take physics or maths as your third subject, except Cambridge and the Scottish ones say they “prefer” it. Your third subject is your choice entirely for all the other unis including RVC, I took psychology. Take what you enjoy and what you think you can get an A in.

Also, do not take 4 A Levels, there is no point. Anyone who says about that is incorrect. Vet unis only want you to reach the minimum grades they require, and do not care if you get higher - i.e. if you get A*A*A* (or more with 4 A Levels) you are not at all going to be placed higher than someone who gets AAA, but if say you took 4 and got AABB when their requirements are AAA, you will be rejected, so it’s better to just take 3 and not risk overwhelming yourself. What is important in vet school applications is work experience and knowledge about the career.

Original post by TylerJamesNunn
I'm aspiring to go to RVC (Royal Veterinary College- London), and that requires Biology, Chemistry, and either Physics or Maths. It's the same with most of the other universities.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5

That isn’t true, as far as I know the only place maths would be beneficial is if you want to go to Cambridge. My third A level was Spanish and I did fine
If you want to take physics take physics. The A level is designed so that someone can still do well in it even if they don't take maths. If you want you could take 4 A levels and just drop one
A graduate I know from RVC vet-med did biology, chemistry, maths, further maths + AS physics.
Original post by mnot
A graduate I know from RVC vet-med did biology, chemistry, maths, further maths + AS physics.

How long ago was that? I expect A levels were modular then ...
Original post by Muttley79
How long ago was that? I expect A levels were modular then ...

Yes. They are a fairly recent graduate but did the 7 year course.
Original post by mnot
Yes. They are a fairly recent graduate but did the 7 year course.

It was a lot easier to study multiple A levels because you had smaller exams more regularly.
Original post by Muttley79
It was a lot easier to study multiple A levels because you had smaller exams more regularly.

They ended up doing all exams in one year so still had a crazy year 13 (bar AS physics) as they changed 6-form & exam boards half way but didn’t want to take an extra year, that said this person was very self-motivated & hard working (far more then i was at 18 😂).
Original post by mnot
They ended up doing all exams in one year so still had a crazy year 13 (bar AS physics) as they changed 6-form & exam boards half way but didn’t want to take an extra year, that said this person was very self-motivated & hard working (far more then i was at 18 😂).

Yes but even so revision was a lot easier because you had discrete chunks to revise for each module ...
To become a vet, I will need to take Biology and Chemistry, with Physics or Maths. I have read some people's chats on here and many say that if you want to take Physics, it is also highly recommended to take Maths as well due to Physics being a very maths-heavy subject.

I want to do Physics preferably, but I don't want to struggle with the maths part of it. Should I take all 3 sciences and maths?

I am predicted 7's in Science and a 7 in Maths but I'm not sure if I will get a 7. I suppose if I put enough work into it then I should get a 7 hopefully.

What's your advice???

You absolutely do not need maths. Unless you are naturally very good at it and enjoy it I would suggest taking a different subject. Had I done maths I don’t think I’d have achieved high enough in other subjects to get into vet med.

I do bio, Chem and geography. You have to enjoy your 3rd choice! You don’t need really fancy subjects. A levels are harder (or at least they were for me) than I had expected. If I’d taken all 3 sciences and maths or even all 3 sciences I don’t think I’d have coped. My school don’t really let anyone take that combination.

I got all of my offers and I didn’t take maths so you don’t need it. If you are applying to a uni that needs it then it’s a consideration. Personally I’d take an easier subject as it’s more likely that you’ll achieve in bio and Chem.

If you are good and really enjoy maths/physics then by all means take them but don’t do it just to apply to veterinary because it’s not neccisary
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by maddie.o412
having checked the rvc's entry requirements, they're the same as most unis for the five year vet med course. AAA with biology, chemistry and a third subject of your choice. the third subject can literally be anything (apart from general studies or critical thinking). this is the case at most unis - i believe the only school that prefer your third subject to be maths/physics is cambridge? but i might be wrong

since you're aiming for rvc, i figured i'd point out that the rvc website states 'There is no third subject which is preferred by selectors or gives any special advantage in the selection process. Science and non-science subjects are treated equally for the third subject.' so you can pick whichever subject you think you'd enjoy the most and have the best chance at getting the A grade :smile:

Thanks so much! I should've looked further into this :smile:
Original post by RambleAmple
No vet uni requires you to take physics or maths as your third subject, except Cambridge and the Scottish ones say they “prefer” it. Your third subject is your choice entirely for all the other unis including RVC, I took psychology. Take what you enjoy and what you think you can get an A in.

Also, do not take 4 A Levels, there is no point. Anyone who says about that is incorrect. Vet unis only want you to reach the minimum grades they require, and do not care if you get higher - i.e. if you get A*A*A* (or more with 4 A Levels) you are not at all going to be placed higher than someone who gets AAA, but if say you took 4 and got AABB when their requirements are AAA, you will be rejected, so it’s better to just take 3 and not risk overwhelming yourself. What is important in vet school applications is work experience and knowledge about the career.

Thank you so much for the help, this has really helped me out!
Original post by AHB27
That isn’t true, as far as I know the only place maths would be beneficial is if you want to go to Cambridge. My third A level was Spanish and I did fine

Okay, thank you so much for the help. I did not realise this.
Original post by flamingolover
You absolutely do not need maths. Unless you are naturally very good at it and enjoy it I would suggest taking a different subject. Had I done maths I don’t think I’d have achieved high enough in other subjects to get into vet med.

I do bio, Chem and geography. You have to enjoy your 3rd choice! You don’t need really fancy subjects. A levels are harder (or at least they were for me) than I had expected. If I’d taken all 3 sciences and maths or even all 3 sciences I don’t think I’d have coped. My school don’t really let anyone take that combination.

I got all of my offers and I didn’t take maths so you don’t need it. If you are applying to a uni that needs it then it’s a consideration. Personally I’d take an easier subject as it’s more likely that you’ll achieve in bio and Chem.

If you are good and really enjoy maths/physics then by all means take them but don’t do it just to apply to veterinary because it’s not neccisary

Okay, thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it! I might take animal care for A-Levels!
If you want to take physics just take it. I took all sciences, am fairly mathematically literate, got all A's. Nothing special, but I did fine without maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending