The Student Room Group

Are forums dieing?

Is it fair to say that using the internet to browse forums is now an old fashion thing? Does it appeal to the younger generation anymore? Do people wish to sift through random threads or do they prefer something quick and in their face like the several social platforms available to them that are in compact app form?
Nah, TSR is goin strong.
What the hell does "dieing" mean?
we're just in our own special world, plenty of us
Original post by black tea
What the hell does "dieing" mean?

You might be outside of the "young generation", the word can be used to mean something has sort of fell off or just that the people are slowly losing interest in it. For example, Facebook became Meta, why? Well, because in a sentence: Facebook fell off.
I think forums are currently in a state of compression, rather then dieing. I see forums continuing indefinitely but certainly not in the same way they used to.

More mobile friendly, social media platforms are where most internet chit chat happens nowadays.
Original post by mnot
I think forums are currently in a state of compression, rather then dieing. I see forums continuing indefinitely but certainly not in the same way they used to.

More mobile friendly, social media platforms are where most internet chit chat happens nowadays.

I agree. The issue with forums has to be the lack of attachment, you can't get close to people in a space with so many other people and why would anyone use private message on a forum website, right?
Original post by Head Honcho.
You might be outside of the "young generation", the word can be used to mean something has sort of fell off or just that the people are slowly losing interest in it. For example, Facebook became Meta, why? Well, because in a sentence: Facebook fell off.

You might want to learn to spell...
all the forums i used back in the day are gone now or barely alive still. i think social media killed them off; especially facebook groups and discussion boards like reddit and also disccord i think tsr still survives because there doesn't seem to be an alternative and also so many people go to uni now
(edited 2 years ago)
Some have, some haven't. But remember that this is TSR we’re talking about.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by black tea
You might want to learn to spell...

I assumed you would forgive any spelling mistake given the setting of this discussion... but sure I will learn to properly spell
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by yeet_21
all the forums i used back in the day are gone now or barely alive still. i think social media killed them off; especially facebook groups and discussion boards like reddit and also disccord i think tsr still survives because there doesn't seem to be an alternative and also so many people go to uni now

True, I think only one more generation left to keep forums going but that is very unlikely to happen
I agree. The issue with forums has to be the lack of attachment, you can't get close to people in a space with so many other people and why would anyone use private message on a forum website, right?

Well PMs are still widely used among consistent & active users. I just don’t think forums are as attractive to new users & tbh general questions & discussions that forums used to lend themselves to are easily facilitated on the big social media platforms which also have more engaging content alongside that.

forums still have a place, just a smaller one.
TSR is a place to be

This place is great :smile:
I assumed you would forgive any spelling mistake given the setting of this discussion... but sure I will learn to properly spell

The inability of forum users to spell may be the cause of their decline.
TSR is the Queen of forums. immortal
Reply 16
Is it fair to say that using the internet to browse forums is now an old fashion thing? Does it appeal to the younger generation anymore? Do people wish to sift through random threads or do they prefer something quick and in their face like the several social platforms available to them that are in compact app form?

You obviously don't think so, as you are using a forum to ask a question with the expectation of responses...

Quick Reply

Latest