The Student Room Group

4th Alevel Choice Help: Psychology, Further Maths, RS or Physics?

Hi! I am currently in year 11 and will be submitting my A-level choices soon. I want to study biological sciences - preferably biochemistry or biomedical sciences in uni. I am thinking about applying to US as well (with UK).
I have my three solid choices for A-level in mind: Math, Biology, Chemistry, and I could not decide whether psychology, further math, religious study or physics would be better as a 4th option.
I think further math helps build a strong mathematical foundation for uni, but psychology also seems like a great pair with my three choices and university subject preference, whilst providing chances to consolidate my essay skills. Which is the same for RS, although it is not related with my choices and subject preference, I really enjoy it, it “stands out” and could stretch my essay ability even more than psychology. And physics... very interested but not sure if it relates at all...
Some background information: gcse predictions 9 for math, bio, Chem, physics, RS - so it shouldn’t be too bad to choose them as A-Levels
It would be really helpful for you to drop down some thoughts, advices or suggestions! Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ducks_domain
Hi! I am currently in year 11 and will be submitting my A-level choices soon. I want to study biological sciences - preferably biochemistry or biomedical sciences in uni. I am thinking about applying to US as well (with UK).
I have my three solid choices for A-level in mind: Math, Biology, Chemistry, and I could not decide whether psychology, further math, religious study or physics would be better as a 4th option.
I think further math helps build a strong mathematical foundation for uni, but psychology also seems like a great pair with my three choices and university subject preference, whilst providing chances to consolidate my essay skills. Which is the same for RS, although it is not related with my choices and subject preference, I really enjoy it, it “stands out” and could stretch my essay ability even more than psychology. And physics... very interested but not sure if it relates at all...
Some background information: gcse predictions 9 for math, bio, Chen, physics, RS - so it shouldn’t be too bad to choose them as A-Levels
It would be really helpful for you to drop down some thoughts, advices or suggestions! Thanks!

Why are you taking 4 A-Levels?
Original post by 5hyl33n
Why are you taking 4 A-Levels?

I think it would be very interesting to take another subject, and I could have a wider knowledge in general.
I think it would be very interesting to take another subject, and I could have a wider knowledge in general.

3 A-Levels require a lot of work. Taking 4 is even more difficult, regardless of what GCSE grades you have received. Not to mention, universities only require 3 A-Levels.

Remember, AAA will always look better than AABB.

Have you considered taking an EPQ instead?
Some background information: gcse predictions 9 for math, bio, Chem, physics, RS - so it shouldn’t be too bad to choose them as A-Levels

I did maths, biology, chemistry and physics & applied for biological sciences at uni. I’m my personal experience I hated maths and it took too much time so I dropped it as soon as I could. On the other hand, physics is very very useful in my opinion, it helped with my other subjects much more than any others.

However, 4 subjects is definitely a LOT of work and I would not recommend. Doing 4 subjects for a year gave me a lot of metal strain and stress, I wouldn’t do it unless you really needed to.
Since you are considering STEM at university further maths or physics would probably be the most useful when applying.
If you have ever considered engineering, physics, maths or are unsure about what you want to do at university consider taking another A level to allow for more flexibility.
Also don't listen to people saying it's a lot of work. That's true but you can just drop an A level if you need to so it's basically 0 risk if you take a 4th A level.

Things might change at A level, take it from someone who wanted to apply for medicine at the beginning of year 12 and is now dropping Biology in year 13 :biggrin:.
Original post by What The Cluck
Since you are considering STEM at university further maths or physics would probably be the most useful when applying.
If you have ever considered engineering, physics, maths or are unsure about what you want to do at university consider taking another A level to allow for more flexibility.
Also don't listen to people saying it's a lot of work. That's true but you can just drop an A level if you need to so it's basically 0 risk if you take a 4th A level.

Things might change at A level, take it from someone who wanted to apply for medicine at the beginning of year 12 and is now dropping Biology in year 13 :biggrin:.

You’re right about dropping but a lot of my friends kept their 4th a level out of guilt or just because they thought they’d regret it.

It’s entirely up to how well you know yourself, in all honestly. If you know that you can easily let go of subjects then by all means go ahead but if you tend to be a hesitant person then you might struggle dropping.

Quick Reply

Latest