The Student Room Group

Law essay tips

In law essays, is it easier to reference as you go along, or do it all afterwards when the essay is complete and no more edits are to be made?
Original post by roses_are_rosie
In law essays, is it easier to reference as you go along, or do it all afterwards when the essay is complete and no more edits are to be made?

Hi @roses_are_rosie!

This is a good question as you will have to write many essays throughout your law degree and referencing is one of the most crucial parts that throws a lot of students off because of how long it takes to do it.
Personally, I have tried both of these methods you mentioned, it depends really on what you find easier as everyone has their own way of doing it. I found that doing references as I went along was a bit easier for me just because it means that you don't have to worry about leaving it till the end and sometimes when you're short of time because of a deadline closing in, it can be a bit annoying knowing you still have to spend time at the end to go over all the referencing. Another reason for this, is that I tend to find it easy to forget where I found some of my secondary sources from after I write my work and so it is more convenient placing the reference in immediately after using it so that you don't have to try locate where you got it from later- by when I will have probably forgotten already!
When leaving all referencing to the end, although it makes the typing-up part a lot quicker and easy it just personally feels more like a burden to do at the end, so I'd rather get it done with whilst I'm still writing.
Like I said, this is a preference that varies from person to person so I'd recommend you trying both ways and finding out what suits you better.
I hope that helps!

Sarah -ULaw student ambassador
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi @roses_are_rosie!

This is a good question as you will have to write many essays throughout your law degree and referencing is one of the most crucial parts that throws a lot of students off because of how long it takes to do it.
Personally, I have tried both of these methods you mentioned, it depends really on what you find easier as everyone has their own way of doing it. I found that doing references as I went along was a bit easier for me just because it means that you don't have to worry about leaving it till the end and sometimes when you're short of time because of a deadline closing in, it can be a bit annoying knowing you still have to spend time at the end to go over all the referencing. Another reason for this, is that I tend to find it easy to forget where I found some of my secondary sources from after I write my work and so it is more convenient placing the reference in immediately after using it so that you don't have to try locate where you got it from later- by when I will have probably forgotten already!
When leaving all referencing to the end, although it makes the typing-up part a lot quicker and easy it just personally feels more like a burden to do at the end, so I'd rather get it done with whilst I'm still writing.
Like I said, this is a preference that varies from person to person so I'd recommend you trying both ways and finding out what suits you better.
I hope that helps!

Sarah -ULaw student ambassador

Thank you, I've only ever done one essay and im onto my second one, referencing is quite hard for me, and the last time, I did it all at the end, which was a lot!

Also out of curiosity I have heard a split decision on this, but are headings needed in essays: e.g. introduction, conclusion... coz some people says it helps guide the essay a lot more, but some say they don't reccomend and to just go with the essay
ahh thank you!

out of topic, but I swear I see you in a lot of threads haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending