The Student Room Group

Interesting article on modern sex

Personally I long for old fashioned dating and relationships. However, I'm not confident to do so. I don't want to take the risk of failing.

Can anyone relate?

Link to article below.

https://unherd.com/2022/01/the-death-of-intimacy/?fbclid=IwAR0D3h1-wZCgaliKGjfiRPhy2McCTmMT58Ctc3rH78SZQAShsm8jmnBtC4A

Scroll to see replies

Quite a few friends feel the same way.
Mostly older millennials and religious conservatives.
They are quite annoyed with religious dating sites and blind dating events.
Plenty have joined offline matchmaker agencies, social groups like dinnerdates and expensive introductions services exclusively for singles that want to find a compatible spouse & coparent.

Have you heard about Nick Hatter's soon to be launched dating business?
Its designed to combined ways of meeting new single people online and providing the membership with access to courses/relationship coaching & professional feedback data.

Traditional Dating Club is aimed at people 25+ who are genuinely seeking a romantic relationship regardless of job, gender or race.
Potential members are instructed to submit an image of themselves in modest dress, no beachwear or undergarments and must specify that they are looking for long term love.
The founder set up the site (originally named Old Style Dating) as an "antidote to throw-away internet dating culture" and "to bring back old fashioned romance” after her daughter got fed up of modern online dating.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Quite a few friends feel the same way.
Mostly older millennials and religious conservatives.
They are quite annoyed with religious dating sites and blind dating events.
Plenty have joined offline matchmaker agencies, social groups like dinnerdates and expensive introductions services exclusively for singles that want to find a compatible spouse & coparent.

Have you heard about Nick Hatter's soon to be launched dating business?
Its designed to combined ways of meeting new single people online and providing the membership with access to courses/relationship coaching & professional feedback data.

Traditional Dating Club is aimed at people 25+ who are genuinely seeking a romantic relationship regardless of job, gender or race.
Potential members are instructed to submit an image of themselves in modest dress, no beachwear or undergarments and must specify that they are looking for long term love.
The founder set up the site (originally named Old Style Dating) as an "antidote to throw-away internet dating culture" and "to bring back old fashioned romance” after her daughter got fed up of modern online dating.

Interesting. No I hadn’t heard about Nick Hatter. Do you have a link to his initiative?

I’m a millennial, Christian and conservative. So I relate.
ermm I'm too lazy to read all of it haha. Can anyone simplify it down?
Original post by Fruli
Interesting. No I hadn’t heard about Nick Hatter. Do you have a link to his initiative?

A friend in her 30s sent me this link.
Reply 5
Original post by agnos987
ermm I'm too lazy to read all of it haha. Can anyone simplify it down?

If you are too lazy to read then you won’t benefit from this discussion.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
A friend in her 30s sent me this link.

Thanks.
Original post by Fruli
If you are too lazy to read then you won’t benefit from this discussion.

I guess you're right
Original post by Fruli
Personally I long for old fashioned dating and relationships. However, I'm not confident to do so. I don't want to take the risk of failing.

Can anyone relate?

Link to article below.

https://unherd.com/2022/01/the-death-of-intimacy/?fbclid=IwAR0D3h1-wZCgaliKGjfiRPhy2McCTmMT58Ctc3rH78SZQAShsm8jmnBtC4A

Wth is "old fashioned dating and relationships"? Is it like when guys were romantic and had chivalry?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Sidehustle
Wth is "old fashioned dating and relationships"? Is it like when guys were romantic and had chivalry?

How old are you?

No, that’s your interpretation.

It’s when people met not on dating apps, but in person. It was when guys weren’t afraid to ask women out without being accused of inappropriateness. It’s when dating was seen as courtship not a sexual encounter. It’s when people dated with the view to start a relationship and possibly get married. Not date to have sexual encounters. I thought that would have been obvious.
Reply 10
The whole dating app stuff disgusts me, if you want a wife or whatever go out and do it in the real world and not online.
Reply 11
Original post by brjf
The whole dating app stuff disgusts me, if you want a wife or whatever go out and do it in the real world and not online.

I agree. However, the point of the article is highlighting how it’s destroying the confidence of those who just want normal relationships.
Reply 12
Original post by Fruli
How old are you?

It’s when people met not on dating apps, but in person. It was when guys weren’t afraid to ask women out without being accused of inappropriateness. It’s when dating was seen as courtship not a sexual encounter. It’s when people dated with the view to start a relationship and possibly get married. Not date to have sexual encounters. I thought that would have been obvious.

I mean I would date for a long term relationship, but that could be more due to my circumstances. I'm still a teen if that makes any difference. Although, I'm painfully aware that this kinda thinking is much more scarce now
Original post by Fruli
How old are you?

That is none of your business.:naughty:

And your post was rather ambiguous hence why I asked the question. And I approach girls all the time.

That is just your interpretation. I have never used dating apps and I know a lot of guys who don't either. I think its dying out tbh.
Gave up half-way through the article. It was meandering and trite.

Conventional dating has not gone away. There is nothing to stop you from going on a few dates and drifting into a relationship. It is easy to avoid online dating. So I find the entire premise that there was some golden age of dating that we've now lost is flawed. We just have more options if you wish to pursue them.
Reply 15
Original post by Sidehustle
That is none of your business.:naughty:

And your post was rather ambiguous hence why I asked the question. And I approach girls all the time.

That is just your interpretation. I have never used dating apps and I know a lot of guys who don't either. I think its dying out tbh.

Well clearly you didn’t read the article. If you had read it then there would be no ambiguity in my post.

FYI, you aren’t going to benefit or contribute to this discussion in a meaningful way if you haven’t read the article.

Your perception that dating apps are dying out is based on your experiences amongst your circles, which is a limited view, based on the sphere of your circles.

I’ve never used dating apps either but know very much about hookup culture just from listening and learning more about what today’s generation of 20s is up to.
Original post by Crazed cat lady
Conventional dating has not gone away. There is nothing to stop you from going on a few dates and drifting into a relationship. It is easy to avoid online dating. So I find the entire premise that there was some golden age of dating that we've now lost is flawed. We just have more options if you wish to pursue them.

But covid & many of the pandemic restrictions and their direct consequences have drastically altered the dating landscape for most single adults seeking a relationship primarily through offline means.
Reply 17
Original post by Crazed cat lady
Gave up half-way through the article. It was meandering and trite.

You never finished the article because you have already formed your opinion based on your world view.
Reply 18
But covid & many of the pandemic restrictions and their direct consequences have drastically altered the dating landscape for most single adults seeking a relationship primarily through offline means.

Interesting she’s called a ‘cat lady’. How ironic.
I'm not of the legal age to have sex yet but I rather have a **** buddy than a relationship when I get to 16

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending