The Student Room Group

Oxbridge?

I’m predicted to achieve 9988887776 Dist3.
The 6 is for English Language. Are these results good enough for Oxbridge as other people applying seem be be getting mostly 8 and 9s.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iverer
I’m predicted to achieve 9988887776.
The 6 is for English Language. Are these results good enough for Oxbridge as other people applying seem be be getting mostly 8 and 9s.

Oxford has a lot of applicants with 9s and 8s for sure but Cambridge doesn't place as much emphasis on GCSEs, as long as there are a good spread of GCSEs. :smile:

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Reply 2
What are you thinking of applying for?
Reply 3
Original post by Sinnoh
What are you thinking of applying for?

Likely to be medicine, I do know that it has to be something related to science.
Original post by iverer
Likely to be medicine, I do know that it has to be something related to science.

omg same. what are you predicted for the sciences?? also, I'm assuming that you want to do chemistry, biology and another subject at A-Level??
Reply 5
Original post by thegeek888
Oxford has a lot of applicants with 9s and 8s for sure but Cambridge doesn't place as much emphasis on GCSEs, as long as there are a good spread of GCSEs. :smile:

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Thanks, I’ve just checked it out.
After research, I’m assuming that Cambridge is better for medicine and Oxford for law. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Reply 6
Original post by harlz_chalamet
omg same. what are you predicted for the sciences?? also, I'm assuming that you want to do chemistry, biology and another subject at A-Level??

Yep, you are right, maths is the other one. Bio and Che is 8+ and physics is 8M. How about you?
Reply 7
Original post by iverer

If it's medicine then Oxford is out of the question
Original post by Sinnoh
If it's medicine then Oxford is out of the question

But Cambridge surely is not? Especially if she's doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology?
Original post by iverer
Yep, you are right, maths is the other one. Bio and Che is 8+ and physics is 8M. How about you?

ohhh wow that's really good. yeah, the other subject I chose is psychology. I'm predicted a 9 in bio and chem and an 8 in physics. :smile:
Original post by iverer

Oxford is one of the most GCSE heavy unis. I would look at Cambridge medicine instead if I were you - you grades are really good, but for medicine oxford will not be so happy with the 6.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by thegeek888
But Cambridge surely is not? Especially if she's doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ yeah that's true, I don't think Cambridge ever explicitly said that they shortlist for interviews using GCSEs and the average number of A*s at GCSE obtained among applicants & offer-holders was around 2 lower than for Oxford last I checked.
Original post by booklover1313
Oxford is one of the most GCSE heavy unis. I would look at Cambridge medicine instead if I were you - you grades are really good, but for medicine oxford will not be so happy with your 6.

does Oxford pretty much expect all 9s ??
Original post by iverer

Why Oxbridge though? The university is irrelevant for medicine ...

I think it depends on the course and they also look at your GCSEs within the context of your school, but they do really want top grades, so 8s&9s.

9s in Sciences for sure!!! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Muttley79
Why Oxbridge though? The university is irrelevant for medicine ...

Wait really? I thought employment rates and salary would be higher if you graduate from there.
Reply 17
ohhh wow that's really good. yeah, the other subject I chose is psychology. I'm predicted a 9 in bio and chem and an 8 in physics. :smile:

Yours are great too! But for your 3rd option I thought it has to be another science or maths?
Original post by iverer
Wait really? I thought employment rates and salary would be higher if you graduate from there.

No ... all medicine degrees are accredited by the GMC - I'll tag an expert :smile:
Original post by iverer
Yours are great too! But for your 3rd option I thought it has to be another science or maths?

thanks dude!! Nope, the 3rd option can be anything you like. I originally thought the same as you, but apparently you can so i decided to choose a bit of an 'easier' subject :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest