The Student Room Group

Math straight line graphs question (gcse)

what does finding the exact coordinates of the point of Intersection of 2 lines mean or in other words how do I find the point of intersection of 2 intersecting lines?
Reply 1
Original post by Nasa1726
what does finding the exact coordinates of the point of Intersection of 2 lines mean or in other words how do I find the point of intersection of 2 intersecting lines?

The point of intersection of 2 lines is where the two lines meet.
For example say we had two straight lines y=2x+5 and y=3x-2 you can equate them and solve for x, this is the x coordinate where the lines meet( x=7 in this case). You can then substitute this value back into either of the original lines to get y coordinate( i would sub it into both to make sure you get the same value) which in this case would be y=19 so the coordinate of the point of intersection is (7,19).

Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by Skiwi
The point of intersection of 2 lines is where the two lines meet.
For example say we had two straight lines y=2x+5 and y=3x-2 you can equate them and solve for x, this is the x coordinate where the lines meet( x=7 in this case). You can then substitute this value back into either of the original lines to get y coordinate( i would sub it into both to make sure you get the same value) which in this case would be y=19 so the coordinate of the point of intersection is (7,19).

Hope this helps

Did you equate them based on the fact that they're intersecting on the same point or is it just how its done?
Reply 3
Original post by Nasa1726
Did you equate them based on the fact that they're intersecting on the same point or is it just how its done?

Yes, they are equated because they are intersecting.
Reply 4
alright thank you both

Quick Reply

Latest