The Student Room Group

fastest way to leave home?

stopping me is financial situation. I cant afford rent. Job seeking has started but will easily take months. What's the fastest way I can move out before landing a new job? I am doing a sort of apprenticeship which is less than minimum wage so i can't live off it but if i can do it all remote maybe it's something? Thoughts? Crazy plans welcome.

Scroll to see replies

move in with a partner or friends
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
move in with a partner or friends

Got none of those
Original post by Anonymous
Got none of those

win the lottery? apply for a council house?
stopping me is financial situation. I cant afford rent. Job seeking has started but will easily take months. What's the fastest way I can move out before landing a new job? I am doing a sort of apprenticeship which is less than minimum wage so i can't live off it but if i can do it all remote maybe it's something? Thoughts? Crazy plans welcome.

I'd be tempted to just do an Access to HE course (if applicable to you), then go to University. :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by CletusPotter
I'd be tempted to just do an Access to HE course (if applicable to you), then go to University. :wink:

I've been
I've been

Then I'd be tempted to go back and do a Postgraduate degree?
Reply 7
Then I'd be tempted to go back and do a Postgraduate degree?

Got one of those too!
Got one of those too!

Then I have no other suggestions I'm afraid apart from looking for a council house or completing a Hostel Application Form.
Look for a live in job that comes with free accomodation.
ah man i feel for you bro
2 degrees and on an illegal wage basically
wtf happened
maybe look into au pairing? you could go literally anywhere in the world, I guess it's like being a housekeeper/nanny
Technically it's probably Police custody and then Prison, but obvious drawbacks.
Original post by StriderHort
Technically it's probably Police custody and then Prison, but obvious drawbacks.

Don't do that, you'll end up with a criminal record. Plus prison can actually make it harder to get housed, go speak to your local council instead OP. They'll probably be able to get you housed in a HMO quite easily, going to prison will delay the process. Trust me, I've been there.
Don't do that, you'll end up with a criminal record. Plus prison can actually make it harder to get housed, go speak to your local council instead OP. They'll probably be able to get you housed in a HMO quite easily, going to prison will delay the process. Trust me, I've been there.

Yeah I said it's technically the fastest way to get rehomed, I didn't say it was a good choice :tongue:

But for sake of discussion, if it came down to sleeping rough weakened with hunger on a bitter January night, or committing a minor offence to get a warm bed and meal for the night and prob next few months, I'd prob do It, y'know, rather than die.
Yeah I said it's technically the fastest way to get rehomed, I didn't say it was a good choice :tongue:

But for sake of discussion, if it came down to sleeping rough weakened with hunger on a bitter January night, or committing a minor offence to get a warm bed and meal for the night and prob next few months, I'd prob do It, y'know, rather than die.

Technically a true statement, but a terrible one which is self defeating anyway.

Indeed. I'd do the same thing. Despite the fact that I know that prison is ****.
Technically a true statement, but a terrible one which is self defeating anyway.

Indeed. I'd do the same thing. Despite the fact that I know that prison is ****.

Yeah, again just to clarify, I wasn't giving that as a recommended course of action, just fastest as requested. :tongue:
Original post by yeet_21
ah man i feel for you bro
2 degrees and on an illegal wage basically
wtf happened

What do you mean wtf happened

If rather do the latter !
Yeah, again just to clarify, I wasn't giving that as a recommended course of action, just fastest as requested. :tongue:

Yeah, IKR LOL. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest