The Student Room Group

Should I study Animal Care A-Levels?

Hi, I am an aspiring vet and I have to take Biology, Chemistry, and one other A-Level of my choice for my A-Level options. I would like to take Animal Care/Studies as I really love animals and it would be a great A-Level to take on the side of both my Sciences in my opinion. However, I don't know exactly what it's like and would love some opinions from others who have taken this subject at college/sixth form etc.
What's your opinion on this subject?

Scroll to see replies

No, it is not facilitating, vet med is a very competitive course and you want to come across as intelligent as possible in university applications.
Reply 2
Original post by EternalKnight_02
No, it is not facilitating, vet med is a very competitive course and you want to come across as intelligent as possible in university applications.

So do you suggest I not to this subject? Have you or anyone else you know done this for A-Levels?
Reply 3
Have you found a college that offers both Science A levels and a course like this? I think you may struggle to do so.

There is no A level in Animal care - it would have to be a Level 3 BTEC in Animal Management or something similar. If you look at the brochure about the BTEC https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Animal-Management/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/A0162d_BTECLantra_Animal_Management_comparison_chart_final_web.pdf it does not suggest it it a good qualification for aspiring vets but suggests animal groomer, animal keeper, lab tech or animal nurse. I suspect it is not academic enough to be a good option for aspiring vets.
Reply 4
Original post by EOData
Have you found a college that offers both Science A levels and a course like this? I think you may struggle to do so.

There is no A level in Animal care - it would have to be a Level 3 BTEC in Animal Management or something similar. If you look at the brochure about the BTEC https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Animal-Management/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/A0162d_BTECLantra_Animal_Management_comparison_chart_final_web.pdf it does not suggest it it a good qualification for aspiring vets but suggests animal groomer, animal keeper, lab tech or animal nurse. I suspect it is not academic enough to be a good option for aspiring vets.

Ah, okay. The college that I am applying for offers this but it must be a BTEC or something like that. I will have to consider another option to take. I am honestly not sure in which option to take.
Original post by TylerJNunn
Ah, okay. The college that I am applying for offers this but it must be a BTEC or something like that. I will have to consider another option to take. I am honestly not sure in which option to take.

Hi! Universities consider all a level options for vet med excluding citizenship studies, critical thinking, general studies and global perspectives.

I personally did geography!
Reply 6
Original post by flamingolover
Hi! Universities consider all a level options for vet med excluding citizenship studies, critical thinking, general studies and global perspectives.

I personally did geography!

Hey, thanks so much for the help. Would I be able to do a subject such as Photography if I were to consider it?
Hey, thanks so much for the help. Would I be able to do a subject such as Photography if I were to consider it?

Hi there

I think Photography A level would be fine for vet med. BTEC Photography probably wouldn't be accepted though.

Best wishes.
Reply 8
Hi, I am an aspiring vet and I have to take Biology, Chemistry, and one other A-Level of my choice for my A-Level options. I would like to take Animal Care/Studies as I really love animals and it would be a great A-Level to take on the side of both my Sciences in my opinion. However, I don't know exactly what it's like and would love some opinions from others who have taken this subject at college/sixth form etc.

Hi, as others have said it is not a facilitating subject. I have got offers for vet med for 2022 entry with chemistry, biology and history if thats any help. I was told that they like sciences, english, maths, humanities and languages ideally. However, email some unis you like the look of to double check:smile:
Reply 9
I've had a quick look and at least one university (Bristol) would accept BTEC Animal Management, as long as you got an A in A level Chemistry
Reply 10
Original post by EOData
I've had a quick look and at least one university (Bristol) would accept BTEC Animal Management, as long as you got an A in A level Chemistry

Thanks so much for your help!!
Reply 11
Original post by erin0193
Hi, as others have said it is not a facilitating subject. I have got offers for vet med for 2022 entry with chemistry, biology and history if thats any help. I was told that they like sciences, english, maths, humanities and languages ideally. However, email some unis you like the look of to double check:smile:

Thank you so much for your help. I honestly love this website, it's really helping me!
Reply 12
Original post by erin0193
Hi, as others have said it is not a facilitating subject. I

Both of you are wrong about this. We got rid of 'facilitating subjects' in about 2017. We have Informed Choices now, which is a totally different thing, and designed to get rid of this silly TSR idea aroud 'prestige' with A levels.

FYI :smile: If your uni choices allow a free third choice (i.e it doesn't have to be a science/maths), then choose whatever you enjoy the most and will do well at (this is usually one and the same thing).

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 20.26.10.png

You would be able to do it yes. I don’t believe any unis discriminate on subjects not on their excluded list. Personally I recommend choosing something more academic so geography, history, psychology, pe, maths or physics (not that I’d really suggest maths and physics unless you love them)
You might find that the lots of successful applicants will have their 3rd A level as maths or a third science (especially to Cambridge). I’m not sure how well respected Photography A level is, but you could technically meet the entry requirements for courses. Ideally you want to choose a 3rd subject you enjoy and are certain of getting a top grade in.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Both of you are wrong about this. We got rid of 'facilitating subjects' in about 2017. We have Informed Choices now, which is a totally different thing, and designed to get rid of this silly TSR idea aroud 'prestige' with A levels.

If you insist, but 'informed choices' sound like a euphemism for facilitating subjects to me.

A statement on the UCAS website for Vet med.
Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons

‘The requirement for other subjects varies a little from university to university, but either one or two subjects from chemistry, physics, or mathematics should be offered. Some universities may accept a third A level in a non-science subject, but it must be an academically sound subject.’

While I think animal care is a good subject for wanting to help animals, I fear it will not be considered academically sound enough to put you in real competition with other applicants.

This is only my personal advice, ultimately do what you enjoy!
I think you stand a better chance of getting offers from the most competitive courses if you don’t take the Animal Care course, and choose a more traditionally academic subject as your 3rd A level.
If you insist, but 'informed choices' sound like a euphemism for facilitating subjects to me.

It isn't me who insists...it's the facts.

'Informed Choices' is the name which the Russell Group chose to use for this initiative. I don't think they were aiming for euphemism.

I agree that an Animal Care BTEC is not a good choice at all.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest