The Student Room Group

harris westminster- should I go?

Hi,

I did the entrance exams a last week for a place at harris westminster, but I've been looking into it a bit more since then, and I've seen some pretty bad stuff about the school, regarding mental health, horrible teachers, general toxicity, huge workload, homophobia + racism ect. I've seen some other forums on TSR but they are all from years ago. But ive also seen some tiktoks with the reoccurring message of 'don't come here'. please can somebody tell me the honest truth of what it's really like here, because i would love to go but now I'm really not sure.

Thank you:smile:
Original post by Rosie.Edgar
Hi,

I did the entrance exams a last week for a place at harris westminster, but I've been looking into it a bit more since then, and I've seen some pretty bad stuff about the school, regarding mental health, horrible teachers, general toxicity, huge workload, homophobia + racism ect. I've seen some other forums on TSR but they are all from years ago. But ive also seen some tiktoks with the reoccurring message of 'don't come here'. please can somebody tell me the honest truth of what it's really like here, because i would love to go but now I'm really not sure.

helo i am currently in y12 at hwsf and i personally like it a lot !! the people are all really nice, and i enjoy my lessons ♪(^∇^*) i take maths, phys, geog, french and i don't think any of my teachers are horrible at all - my geography teachers are great~~ the workload is definitely a Lot though so if you are unable to handle it then i think try elsewhere. as for homophobia/racism??? i think that is a ridiculous statement lolol there are many clubs and societies, including ones for LGBTQ+ (i go to this one) and POC
Reply 2
ahhh tysm!!! I was really hoping that this was the case, I've been looking at hwsf for a while now and really wanted to go, but this all sort of threw me a bit, so this is great to hear. just hoping I get in now, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of GCSE grades do you really need to get in, from your own experience and other peoples? :smile:)
ahhh tysm!!! I was really hoping that this was the case, I've been looking at hwsf for a while now and really wanted to go, but this all sort of threw me a bit, so this is great to hear. just hoping I get in now, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of GCSE grades do you really need to get in, from your own experience and other peoples? :smile:)

the grade requirements are on their website - six 7s with 7s in your chosen subjects. i know that some people were able to *persuade* their way in even though they didn’t have the required grades so there is that i guess
Reply 4
I have read that unless you get straight A*s or are heading to Oxbridge or Imperial, the school wonmt care about you. Also, during the ucas process those who get an interview to Oxford or Cambridge get 3 mock interviews with internal and external teachers whereas those applying to other universities Like UCl except some mentors who are nice enough. I am aiming for a top university but not a very good one such as Imperial so this scares me. What are your thoughts on this? It would be best to reply today or tomorrow as it is enrolment day
Original post by Beta AA
I have read that unless you get straight A*s or are heading to Oxbridge or Imperial, the school wonmt care about you. Also, during the ucas process those who get an interview to Oxford or Cambridge get 3 mock interviews with internal and external teachers whereas those applying to other universities Like UCl except some mentors who are nice enough. I am aiming for a top university but not a very good one such as Imperial so this scares me. What are your thoughts on this? It would be best to reply today or tomorrow as it is enrolment day

yeah i’m pretty sure it’s true th at oxbridge students get more support but that’s only because they’re early entry , aside from that we all get a lot of support from our mentors (i’m not sure about mock interviews yet though) and if you require more support you can always ask, teachers are very supportive here
Reply 6
Original post by Raspberri
yeah i’m pretty sure it’s true th at oxbridge students get more support but that’s only because they’re early entry , aside from that we all get a lot of support from our mentors (i’m not sure about mock interviews yet though) and if you require more support you can always ask, teachers are very supportive here

Thank you for your reply I think I ma at ease enrolling into Harris Westminister. If I may ask, what grades did you get for your GCSES?

I also am keen to take part in a student council if you guys have any. Have you been apart of it before?(
Original post by Beta AA
Thank you for your reply I think I ma at ease enrolling into Harris Westminister. If I may ask, what grades did you get for your GCSES?

I also am keen to take part in a student council if you guys have any. Have you been apart of it before?(

I got three 7s, four 8s, and three 9s so I didn’t have any issues on enrolment. We have a student council (called “the Senate”) and I have not been part of it, but I think it’s definitely a good opportunity. However, if you want to become part of it you need to be well-known, as it is voted on by every Y12 in the school. We also have form reps too.
Reply 8
Original post by Raspberri
I got three 7s, four 8s, and three 9s so I didn’t have any issues on enrolment. We have a student council (called “the Senate”) and I have not been part of it, but I think it’s definitely a good opportunity. However, if you want to become part of it you need to be well-known, as it is voted on by every Y12 in the school. We also have form reps too.

I see. I will try to get in next year.
Reply 9
Hi,

I know this was written months ago now, but what subjects were you planning to do at Harris?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending