The Student Room Group

New hamster. Worried.

Got a new hamster on Sunday, about 3-4 months old. Seems to be settling in alright, couldn't tolerate being held at first but it OK now, running in the run (for a couple of hours last night). But doesn't appear to be eating at all and drinks very little and only when I put the bottle to her mouth. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do?
Original post by Amb/conf
Got a new hamster on Sunday, about 3-4 months old. Seems to be settling in alright, couldn't tolerate being held at first but it OK now, running in the run (for a couple of hours last night). But doesn't appear to be eating at all and drinks very little and only when I put the bottle to her mouth. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do?

I'll call our expert @CoolCavy
Reply 2
Not eating is a normal response to stress in hamsters, he'll settle in soon.
Reply 3
Original post by TipTapp
Not eating is a normal response to stress in hamsters, he'll settle in soon.

I hope so, but I'm very worried he'll dehydrate or starve.

Hamsters are desert animals. They require little water.
I’ve never had a hamster but maybe putting on some ‘calming music for hamsters’ (In YouTube) can help your hamster settle in? :smile:
Reply 6

How long has it been since you got him?
Reply 7
Original post by sciencegcsesss
I’ve never had a hamster but maybe putting on some ‘calming music for hamsters’ (In YouTube) can help your hamster settle in? :smile:

Ah yes, blare unknown noses into the poor thing's ear to calm him....
Reply 8
Original post by TipTapp
How long has it been since you got him?

I said in the post it was Sunday but it was actually Saturday, so this is the third day.
Reply 9
Original post by Sabertooth
Hamsters are desert animals. They require little water.

True.
Original post by TipTapp
Ah yes, blare unknown noses into the poor thing's ear to calm him....

Okay no need to be sarcastic about it. I was just trying to help and I said that I wasn’t completely sure. But I do not want to digress from the point of the thread.
I would ease off handling personally, I would work on hand feeding him a few treats and see if he builds up trust that way. Handling straight away can stress them out as they need time to build that bond :yep:
I wouldn't worry too much about eating, hamsters do cache food so as long as you are providing plenty he will eat when he is hungry.
In terms of water this was something that really stressed me out when I got my third little boy. He didn't seem to know what a bottle was. I found leaving a few drips on the end of the spout sort of let him know water comes out of it and he got the hang of it.
If you are really concerned you could put in a small amount of cucumber (rich in water), be moderate with it though as too much can cause diarrhea

Original post by Muttley79
I'll call our expert @CoolCavy

Thanks for the tag :hugs:

hi! For the water maybe add a dish in such as a tea light holder. They only drink about 1-2 teaspoons of water a day. If you are worried about dehydration hold her and gently pinch the skin in the neck area and if it stays up she’s dehydrated if it sinks quickly then she’s fine (like the skin on the back of your hand)

I feed my hamster 1-2 tablespoons of food every 3 days so again not a huge amount of food. Hamster will not starve themselves. Maybe check her teeth to ensure her mouth can open enough to eat and drink. Maybe add some whimzees or similar things to encourage her to chew.

Try giving her treats to see if she’ll eat them
Reply 13
Original post by CoolCavy
I would ease off handling personally, I would work on hand feeding him a few treats and see if he builds up trust that way. Handling straight away can stress them out as they need time to build that bond :yep:
I wouldn't worry too much about eating, hamsters do cache food so as long as you are providing plenty he will eat when he is hungry.
In terms of water this was something that really stressed me out when I got my third little boy. He didn't seem to know what a bottle was. I found leaving a few drips on the end of the spout sort of let him know water comes out of it and he got the hang of it.
If you are really concerned you could put in a small amount of cucumber (rich in water), be moderate with it though as too much can cause diarrhea

Thanks for the tag :hugs:

Tried hand feeding but she doesn't appear to be interested. Drinks about that amount of water but it if I put the bottle to her mouth.
Reply 14
Original post by flamingolover
hi! For the water maybe add a dish in such as a tea light holder. They only drink about 1-2 teaspoons of water a day. If you are worried about dehydration hold her and gently pinch the skin in the neck area and if it stays up she’s dehydrated if it sinks quickly then she’s fine (like the skin on the back of your hand)

I feed my hamster 1-2 tablespoons of food every 3 days so again not a huge amount of food. Hamster will not starve themselves. Maybe check her teeth to ensure her mouth can open enough to eat and drink. Maybe add some whimzees or similar things to encourage her to chew.

Try giving her treats to see if she’ll eat them

I put a wooden chew toy but she doesn't appear to be interested. Plus now the cat is on her case 😩
I put a wooden chew toy but she doesn't appear to be interested. Plus now the cat is on her case 😩

My hamster completely ignores wooden chew toys. Whimzees are basically dog dentastix. I also have a mineral block but they are really salty so I don’t leave it with her all the time. I also have cats. Put the cage away from the door. I occasionally spray perfume near the door to hide the smell. Try to not let the cats in the room with the hamster at all otherwise they’ll pick up the scent. At the beginning put some clothes or soemthing outside the door. I say this because my cats ripped up the carpet trying to get in! Definietly check the hydration levels

Quick Reply

Latest