The Student Room Group

Further math problem

I am in yr 12 and am studying further math independently. So far I've completed FP1. I was thinking if I am applying for Unis in a couple of months do I either do AS further math or just do A Level further math at the end of year 13. The problem is how do tell Unis I have been studying further math by myself If I can't even put it as a qualification that i am doing.
Are you not able to take the a level exam off site at the end of the year?
Reply 2
Just like the rest of your qualifications, you can put the result for A level Further Maths as pending when you apply. The difficulty will be in getting a predicted grade.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Itz_tj
I am in yr 12 and am studying further math independently. So far I've completed FP1. I was thinking if I am applying for Unis in a couple of months do I either do AS further math or just do A Level further math at the end of year 13. The problem is how do tell Unis I have been studying further math by myself If I can't even put it as a qualification that i am doing.

You can sit the exam at private centres (in fact, if your school runs the course, it might accept outside candidates to sit the exam). There is a fee for this. You won't have a predicted grade, but if you are actually going to sit the exam you can put it down. Else, you could describe the extra work you have done on your personal statement, but I would opt for formalising it if you can to get the full credit for your efforts.
Hi there,

I had exactly this problem when I was applying in year 12 as well so I can tell you how it went from my experience. I think it depends a lot on which course you're applying for and where you're applying to. I wanted to do ChemEng and I applied to unis ranging from Cambridge to Surrey. I wanted to do A-Level further maths but I didn't have the luxury due to the size of my school and them therefore not being able to accommodate it for me. I ended up, like you, having to study it independently. I made it clear to my uni's to which I was applying what the situation was and I think it's a positive thing from their perspective as it would mean you're going out of your way in bridging the gap between A-level and UG, showing how keen you are, despite how things are.

In my experience I would advise you not to make your life more complicated than it otherwise has to be, admissions is very much a game sometimes. Unless you're applying to a course which requires further maths I would be reluctant to sit an exam in it as it just adds more work to your plate - with that being said if you're looking to go into any numerate discipline you should absolutely learn the content as from my experience idk how I would have coped with my maths course otherwise last term. If you decide to not sit an exam there is no point adding it to your UCAS, but do let your uni's know your reading around the edges - it reflects well on you as an applicant.

Of course, I don't know the ins and outs of your story with further maths as it could be quite different to mine but that was the logic I had when I applied and even despite not sitting an exam in further maths I'm now starting my Lent Term in Cambridge doing ChemEng via NS so it seemed to work for me. Obviously whether or not you decide to sit an exam is a big decision so don't just take my word for it but talk it through with your parents, teachers etc... people around you that you trust. I hope this provides some clarity as I remember being in your same position and being rather perplexed, best of luck with your application. :smile:

P.S just to clarify if you ARE applying to a course that REQUIRES further maths, definitely try and do the exam and you should fully disclose it to them, unless you have a good reason (in which case see above)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Dylan8421
Are you not able to take the a level exam off site at the end of the year?

I am able to to take a level further maths in school at the end of year 13 but my school doesn't do an exam for as further maths.
But its just whats the point if I get the grade after applying for uni if i cant even show for it
Reply 6
Original post by Mark_Brown
Hi there,

I had exactly this problem when I was applying in year 12 as well so I can tell you how it went from my experience. I think it depends a lot on which course you're applying for and where you're applying to. I wanted to do ChemEng and I applied to unis ranging from Cambridge to Surrey. I wanted to do A-Level further maths but I didn't have the luxury due to the size of my school and them therefore not being able to accommodate it for me. I ended up, like you, having to study it independently. I made it clear to my uni's to which I was applying what the situation was and I think it's a positive thing from their perspective as it would mean you're going out of your way in bridging the gap between A-level and UG, showing how keen you are, despite how things are.

In my experience I would advise you not to make your life more complicated than it otherwise has to be, admissions is very much a game sometimes. Unless you're applying to a course which requires further maths I would be reluctant to sit an exam in it as it just adds more work to your plate - with that being said if you're looking to go into any numerate discipline you should absolutely learn the content as from my experience idk how I would have coped with my maths course otherwise last term. If you decide to not sit an exam there is no point adding it to your UCAS, but do let your uni's know your reading around the edges - it reflects well on you as an applicant.

Of course, I don't know the ins and outs of your story with further maths as it could be quite different to mine but that was the logic I had when I applied and even despite not sitting an exam in further maths I'm now starting my Lent Term in Cambridge doing ChemEng via NS so it seemed to work for me. Obviously whether or not you decide to sit an exam is a big decision so don't just take my word for it but talk it through with your parents, teachers etc... people around you that you trust. I hope this provides some clarity as I remember being in your same position and being rather perplexed, best of luck with your application. :smile:

P.S just to clarify if you ARE applying to a course that REQUIRES further maths, definitely try and do the exam and you should fully disclose it to them, unless you have a good reason (in which case see above)

Thank you, this helped me clear my doubts a bit more.
Right now I am planning to do Computer Science at Cambridge (hopefully) . It states that for Cambridge that further maths is strongly recommended for the course. And my school also couldn't accommodate the course due to the number of peoples who applied for it. I have talked with my parents and they didn't mind getting me a tutor for further maths. I will end up sitting the exam that I applied for but the problem is my school won't let me sit the a level maths course since I am not part of the further maths class in school. However I already completed year 2 maths almost and hopefully will just carry on doing further maths. My predicted grades will only come for CS, Math AS level, Economics AS level. I wont get one for further maths since I will putting it as pending. Oh and I am also doing a EPQ related to AI and machine learning. I just really hope I can still go Cambridge at the end but the application process does scare me.
Original post by Itz_tj
I am able to to take a level further maths in school at the end of year 13 but my school doesn't do an exam for as further maths.
But its just whats the point if I get the grade after applying for uni if i cant even show for it

they dont normally require a grade in FM but they do like the fact that you do further maths so you can just do it and tell them in your personal statement, you can also attach FM as a pending grade although you wont have a predicted grade for it
Reply 8
Original post by Itz_tj
Thank you, this helped me clear my doubts a bit more.
Right now I am planning to do Computer Science at Cambridge (hopefully) . It states that for Cambridge that further maths is strongly recommended for the course. And my school also couldn't accommodate the course due to the number of peoples who applied for it. I have talked with my parents and they didn't mind getting me a tutor for further maths. I will end up sitting the exam that I applied for but the problem is my school won't let me sit the a level maths course since I am not part of the further maths class in school. However I already completed year 2 maths almost and hopefully will just carry on doing further maths. My predicted grades will only come for CS, Math AS level, Economics AS level. I wont get one for further maths since I will putting it as pending. Oh and I am also doing a EPQ related to AI and machine learning. I just really hope I can still go Cambridge at the end but the application process does scare me.

You could ask your school if they would enter you for AS FM this Summer -or take it or A level Maths elsewhere as a private candidate.
Reply 9
Original post by EOData
You could ask your school if they would enter you for AS FM this Summer -or take it or A level Maths elsewhere as a private candidate.

My school does not offer as Further Math as It teaches it all in yr 13.
It is just that do I neeeed to take A level math, I don't really mind taking it now since I have 4 months to prep but I am going to be taking it at the end of year 13 anyway so it's just that what is the point in actually taking it now. I don't mind paying the fee but wouldnt it be better if I just did the A Levels for maths and further maths at the end of yr 13. If I am going to be putting the status for Further maths as pending, I can put my as grade for math, comp and econ and explain that I will be taking A Level Math and A level Further math at the end of year 13.
But do Uni's say otherwise?
Do I need to take A level Math by the end of this year?
And no I don't mind the fee for the exam too much.
Reply 10
Original post by Itz_tj
My school does not offer as Further Math as It teaches it all in yr 13.
It is just that do I neeeed to take A level math, I don't really mind taking it now since I have 4 months to prep but I am going to be taking it at the end of year 13 anyway so it's just that what is the point in actually taking it now. I don't mind paying the fee but wouldnt it be better if I just did the A Levels for maths and further maths at the end of yr 13. If I am going to be putting the status for Further maths as pending, I can put my as grade for math, comp and econ and explain that I will be taking A Level Math and A level Further math at the end of year 13.
But do Uni's say otherwise?
Do I need to take A level Math by the end of this year?
And no I don't mind the fee for the exam too much.

They don't need to 'offer it' to let you take it - as long as they are registered with the relevant exam board, which they clearly are, then they can let you sit the exam there if they want - try asking the Exams officer if you are interested. It's just an option you might want to take up to prove to universities that you are serious about FM.

You don't need to take A level Maths this Summer,

Quick Reply

Latest