The Student Room Group

Reapplication

I am currently holding a place for Philosophy at Durham. I am considering a very late reapplication with the same PS and references as I used last year, in the hope that I get all my offers again and have extra time to pick my university more carefully. Will it disadvantage me that I’ve already applied to each university and turned them down? Also, will using the same personal statement and references put me at a disadvantage?
Original post by Bsr1402
I am currently holding a place for Philosophy at Durham. I am considering a very late reapplication with the same PS and references as I used last year, in the hope that I get all my offers again and have extra time to pick my university more carefully. Will it disadvantage me that I’ve already applied to each university and turned them down? Also, will using the same personal statement and references put me at a disadvantage?

Reapplying won't disadvantage you by itself, no. Using the same PS is fine, but the unis might have hoped that you did something related to your degree in your gap year. (If you didn't, don't stress to tenuously connect something unrelated.)
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Reapplying won't disadvantage you by itself, no. Using the same PS is fine, but the unis might have hoped that you did something related to your degree in your gap year. (If you didn't, don't stress to tenuously connect something unrelated.)

Thanks very much, that’s good to hear. Just so you know, I’ll be reapplying to universities I rejected with the same Ps + references - will this affect my chances?
Reply 3
Original post by Bsr1402
Thanks very much, that’s good to hear. Just so you know, I’ll be reapplying to universities I rejected with the same Ps + references - will this affect my chances?

The fact that they were universities I rejected, I mean.
Original post by Bsr1402

Universities don’t hold grudges
Original post by Bsr1402

As above, they won't care one jot. However you are not guaranteed an offer the second time around so there is inherently a little bit of risk even when applying with achieved grades.
Reply 6
As above, they won't care one jot. However you are not guaranteed an offer the second time around so there is inherently a little bit of risk even when applying with achieved grades.

Thank you all I really appreciate your responses. One more URGENT thing - I am withdrawing from Durham and reapplying back there straight away - how would they view this? Would this disadvantage me?
Original post by Bsr1402
Thank you all I really appreciate your responses. One more URGENT thing - I am withdrawing from Durham and reapplying back there straight away - how would they view this? Would this disadvantage me?

Only Durham could answer this for sure but if it's a change of subject I very much doubt they'd care.

NB. It's unusual; students usually either just internally swap courses if they've happy with the uni, or withdraw and apply elsewhere if it's the uni that isn't right. But I understand why you are doing it.
Reply 8
Only Durham could answer this for sure but if it's a change of subject I very much doubt they'd care.

NB. It's unusual; students usually either just internally swap courses if they've happy with the uni, or withdraw and apply elsewhere if it's the uni that isn't right. But I understand why you are doing it.

I see. It is actually for the same subject, which I assume would be a bit different. But could this not be passed off as me wanting to me allocated to a new college instead of wanting to reject the university ad a whole? Do you think they would look down upon my application in this case?
Original post by Bsr1402
I see. It is actually for the same subject, which I assume would be a bit different. But could this not be passed off as me wanting to me allocated to a new college instead of wanting to reject the university ad a whole? Do you think they would look down upon my application in this case?

In that case why not just temporarily withdraw and then re-enrol if the applications don't shake out? You don't need to waste a choice on it.
Reply 10
In that case why not just temporarily withdraw and then re-enrol if the applications don't shake out? You don't need to waste a choice on it.

Is this to say that I could withdraw my place, reapply to universities including Durham for the same course, wait to see if I get offers and then re - enrol if I don’t get offers? How long can I withdraw for before I can longer re-enrol?
Original post by Bsr1402
Is this to say that I could withdraw my place, reapply to universities including Durham for the same course, wait to see if I get offers and then re - enrol if I don’t get offers? How long can I withdraw for before I can longer re-enrol?

No, if you are allowed to temporarily withdraw then you wouldn't need to include Durham in your UCAS application. You would still be a student there, albeit one who was taking leave from their studies.
Original post by Bsr1402
How long can I withdraw for before I can longer re-enrol?

I can't answer this, it depends on Durham's regs on temp withdrawals. You'd also need to have a look at the permissible reasons for a temp withdrawal.

I am getting the sense that you are trying to have your cake and eat it, IE. apply elsewhere but but still have the safe option of continuing on your current course. You need to decide which is your priority.
Reply 12
Original post by Bsr1402

Seems risky given the deadline is tomorrow. I assume it’s a deferred offer you hold currently?
Reply 13
No, if you are allowed to temporarily withdraw then you wouldn't need to include Durham in your UCAS application. You would still be a student there, albeit one who was taking leave from their studies.

I can't answer this, it depends on Durham's regs on temp withdrawals. You'd also need to have a look at the permissible reasons for a temp withdrawal.

I am getting the sense that you are trying to have your cake and eat it, IE. apply elsewhere but but still have the safe option of continuing on your current course. You need to decide which is your priority.

Just to clear things up, I am not currently on the course at Durham, but I am holding a place there for a September start. You have sensed right, though. I think applying elsewhere is my priority right now, but Durham is one of the only universities I would consider going to for my course, so if I am to reapply I think I will take the risk and put it down as one of my options. Thank you very much for your help so far by the way.
Original post by Bsr1402
Just to clear things up, I am not currently on the course at Durham, but I am holding a place there for a September start. You have sensed right, though. I think applying elsewhere is my priority right now, but Durham is one of the only universities I would consider going to for my course, so if I am to reapply I think I will take the risk and put it down as one of my options. Thank you very much for your help so far by the way.

Okay, so you are not enrolled at Durham, but you hold a deferred place there for Sept 2022? In that case, ignore everything about temp withdrawals.

Referring back to post #6 above, there's always going to be some element of risk in doing this, but unis don't hold grudges and aren't going to feel put out by you wanting to reapply elsewhere and including them again.

Honestly if Durham is one of the only uni's you'd consider for your course, then a last minute app for the chance at other similarly positioned unis seems risky, even if Durham had been quite encouraging that you were likely to get another offer.
Note: if you're holding a deferred place with Durham then only THEY can withdraw your deferred application. You can't do this yourself.

You need to ring them TODAY to find out how you can get your deferred place withdrawn so that you can reapply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending