The Student Room Group

Northern Ireland Social work application 2022

Hi, was wondering if anyone else has applied for social work and still hasn't heard anything? I recently left my law degree to apply for social work so I'm a bit nervous however I was giving a interview for social work when I first applied a few years ago but turned it down as I felt I was really young compared to everyone else!

Scroll to see replies

I’ve applied and just received e-Mail requesting permission to share the uploaded video between universities.
Reply 2
Original post by lovely locks
I’ve applied and just received e-Mail requesting permission to share the uploaded video between universities.

Yes, hopefully we get emails about interviews soon! They seem to have done away with the essay and are only doing the interview online which is good!
Hi I applied last year for 2021. Unfortunately I passed the interview but there was to much demand for places and I wasn't successful. They changed the process last year where everyone who met the entrance criteria or was likely to meet criteria got an interview no need for a second personal statement. I'm currently first year at uni but I know my heart lies still in social work so I'm trying again!
Reply 4
Original post by beefcurry
Hi I applied last year for 2021. Unfortunately I passed the interview but there was to much demand for places and I wasn't successful. They changed the process last year where everyone who met the entrance criteria or was likely to meet criteria got an interview no need for a second personal statement. I'm currently first year at uni but I know my heart lies still in social work so I'm trying again!

Aw, that's unfortunate! I applied for ulster university at Belfast met so I'm hoping it flies in and we get interviews soon! Does anyone know how much spaces are available?
Last year there was just over 200 places between the 2 year and 3 year applicants. I believe there was over 1000 applicants.
Swc dungannon has approx 16 places
Bmc Belfast has possibly 30
And the rest is magee and Queens.
Reply 6
Thats so scary! I only applied for bmc as I'm not a fan of the university class atmosphere! Hopefully more people want the uni experience and want to goto qub/uu
The interview will be the decider
Last year offers where given to those who scored over 36 out of 50. Some people under that got placed on the waiting list who scored less than this and offers where made up to September. It's crazy competitive. Many people apply to all 4 places.
Reply 8
Yes I applied 3 years back and got a interview but when I went to the open night they were really solid on the fact most successful applicants are mature students and people who have came from other professions so it put me off. I have plenty of experience, I lived in India for a year and worked in a foster home and have 10 years youth work experience so hopefully that helps. Thank god they have lowered it to 36 when I was applying it was 43!
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm older lol the offers in 2021 had a younger vibe but everyone has something to offer. I had alot of experience as well but I know nerves got the better of me. It was a 10 minute video interview and I know I let myself get rattled as it was weird filming myself and not talking to anyone.
Hey, they told me the same I previously worked in Thailand for a few summers and they told me they only accept people who have a lot of life experience so it put me off, I’m now 23. My friend grew up in the foster system and she got accepted but they said they made an exception due to her knowledge and experience with the system. They usually aim to only accept mature students because it’s a mentally challenging course and it’s not a course to go to if you want the university experience of partying etc because it’s full on
Hey I’m also applying straight from school it seems so competitive I applied for both queens and ulster
When are people hearing about interview ?
Reply 13
Original post by Lilyloo4232
When are people hearing about interview ?

They said they are being held feb/march, so you could get contacted anytime right up to end of March
Johston001 I saw your post about interviews on the other thread which I started last year. My interview last year was on the 14th of Jan so they where earlier last year. You record yourself answering the question you recieved 48 hours before and upload it to a drive. I don't want to say anything further as we where specifically asked not to share any details.
I'm guessing you can re make your video interview as many times as you like before submitting it?
Reply 16
Has anyone heard anything yet about interviews?
Original post by Johnston00
Has anyone heard anything yet about interviews?

Nothing yet!
Reply 18
Original post by SWapplicant
Nothing yet!

Its such a long process!! Hopefully we hear something soon as they did say interviews are February and March!
Original post by Johnston00
Its such a long process!! Hopefully we hear something soon as they did say interviews are February and March!

From looking at previous threads it looks like it will be the summer before we know if we got accepted

Out of interest how many people here applying are male? I was talking to a social worker and he told me there was only 6 men in his class of 100 so slightly anxious about that haha!

Quick Reply

Latest