The Student Room Group

How do I start studying my GCSE's early?

Hi I'm a mature student who is going to retake my GCSE's again next year (left it this year due to uncertainty from government of exams continuing). I'm going to be sitting 5 GCSE's: English language, literature, Maths, French and film studies. I'm retaking english again because i want to get into a good uni and wish to teach it as a foreign language which is why i picked french as i'd like to move to france.

Anyways I was hoping if anyone could give some tips on what to do when studying and mistakes to avoid.

Sorry if it sounds a lot I just would like to be able to pass this time and not fail as im paying out me own pocket. So any tips on studying effectively is greatful.

Many thanks.
Reply 1
Do you have a plan for completing the NEA that forms part of the assessment for Film Studies? (e.g. are you taking a distance learning course)?
Are you studying at a college, or just by yourself privately?

If it's the latter, you've chosen subjects which have some practical components, such as speaking. First and foremost, it's imperative that you book yourself into an exam centre which can accommodate these practical components, as not all exam centres will be willing to do so.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Are you studying at a college, or just by yourself privately?

If it's the latter, you've chosen subjects which have some practical components, such as speaking. First and foremost, it's imperative that you book yourself into an exam centre which can accommodate these practical components, as not all exam centres will be willing to do so.

privately
I’d just get the course textbooks they priblysh and start working through them. Look for other items that may help -gcse bite size on the bbc maybe.
Original post by samselfeducation
Hi I'm a mature student who is going to retake my GCSE's again next year (left it this year due to uncertainty from government of exams continuing). I'm going to be sitting 5 GCSE's: English language, literature, Maths, French and film studies. I'm retaking english again because i want to get into a good uni and wish to teach it as a foreign language which is why i picked french as i'd like to move to france.

Anyways I was hoping if anyone could give some tips on what to do when studying and mistakes to avoid.

Sorry if it sounds a lot I just would like to be able to pass this time and not fail as im paying out me own pocket. So any tips on studying effectively is greatful.

Many thanks.

Get the specifications for the GCSEs from the exam boards, these tell you exactly what you need to know fo the exams (they're free). Also, past papers and mark schemes will be available to help you answer questions; though, I'd wait until nearer the exams to use them, if there aren't that many available.

I would look for books/texts that follow the spec, as it makes it much easier to relate to exams and exam technique.

When studying/revising, I would make sure it is useful (well duh!). By which I mean, if making endless notes is good for you - do that. However, if that just takes time, but doesn't aid your knowledge retention or revision, then do something else - maybe flashcards, active recall etc. Nearer exam, definitely utilise past papers, this means the format won't be a surprise when sitting the real things and you'll likely earn yourself a few extra marks by being prepared for the format and how to answer.

Good luck!
Original post by BlueChicken
Get the specifications for the GCSEs from the exam boards, these tell you exactly what you need to know fo the exams (they're free). Also, past papers and mark schemes will be available to help you answer questions; though, I'd wait until nearer the exams to use them, if there aren't that many available.

I would look for books/texts that follow the spec, as it makes it much easier to relate to exams and exam technique.

When studying/revising, I would make sure it is useful (well duh!). By which I mean, if making endless notes is good for you - do that. However, if that just takes time, but doesn't aid your knowledge retention or revision, then do something else - maybe flashcards, active recall etc. Nearer exam, definitely utilise past papers, this means the format won't be a surprise when sitting the real things and you'll likely earn yourself a few extra marks by being prepared for the format and how to answer.

Good luck!

Hi there,

thank you for this it's been a long time since I've had to revise for more than one subject in one year, so thank you for the tips!
Hi there,

thank you for this it's been a long time since I've had to revise for more than one subject in one year, so thank you for the tips!

No worries, for context I just did three A-levels 20 years after graduating from my first degree (so almost 25 years after my original A-levels), so you can definitely approach it all in a more manner-of-fact/business-likeway, i.e. all they can ask me is the spec, so I'll learn that and how they want me to answer questions. Yes, in an ideal world it would be learning all around the subject for the joy of learning and interest in the subject (which I also like to do), but the end goal is passing your exams so you can move on (and hopefully do something you love), so learn how to do that. Best of luck with it.
No worries, for context I just did three A-levels 20 years after graduating from my first degree (so almost 25 years after my original A-levels), so you can definitely approach it all in a more manner-of-fact/business-likeway, i.e. all they can ask me is the spec, so I'll learn that and how they want me to answer questions. Yes, in an ideal world it would be learning all around the subject for the joy of learning and interest in the subject (which I also like to do), but the end goal is passing your exams so you can move on (and hopefully do something you love), so learn how to do that. Best of luck with it.

Thank you glad to know I'm not only one doing this after leaving school,

can I ask what exam centre you did you're exams with if thats ok? I'm thinking on doing it with tutors and exams but want to be able to have multiple choices of exam centres.

Kind regards,

S
Thank you glad to know I'm not only one doing this after leaving school,

can I ask what exam centre you did you're exams with if thats ok? I'm thinking on doing it with tutors and exams but want to be able to have multiple choices of exam centres.

Kind regards,

S

Yes - tutors and exams. I was with Wimbledon, but I needed to do practicals too and London was booked and they were able to fit me in in their Birmingham centre. I would recommend them (as well as taking your money, they seemed like they wanted to help and, importantly, do a good job for you). They have quite a few centres now and seem to understand the varying needs of private candidates.

I used an online provider for course content, but only because I was wary that "real" exams may be cancelled again when I booked and wanted there to be someone who could mark assignments and provide me with a grade. However, in terms of content, the CGP books were far superior and a lot (like A LOT) cheaper!

T & E were good with communication and seems to be on top of the whole process, particularly with Covid disruptions etc.

Hope that helps
Yes - tutors and exams. I was with Wimbledon, but I needed to do practicals too and London was booked and they were able to fit me in in their Birmingham centre. I would recommend them (as well as taking your money, they seemed like they wanted to help and, importantly, do a good job for you). They have quite a few centres now and seem to understand the varying needs of private candidates.

I used an online provider for course content, but only because I was wary that "real" exams may be cancelled again when I booked and wanted there to be someone who could mark assignments and provide me with a grade. However, in terms of content, the CGP books were far superior and a lot (like A LOT) cheaper!

T & E were good with communication and seems to be on top of the whole process, particularly with Covid disruptions etc.

Hope that helps

Thank you, that's actually a happy coincidence then as I've been trying to get more info on tutors and exams. So thanks this has taken stress of my chest now. Also just a couple other questions if you don't mind (sorry being a pain) do they do any exam board? (aqa vs edexcel vs ocr) And just for future reference when picking A-level exams do I need to pick both AS-level exam and A level exam or can I just pick the A level one?

Many thanks and sorry being a pain lol
Reply 11
And just for future reference when picking A-level exams do I need to pick both AS-level exam and A level exam or can I just pick the A level one?

You only need to pick one - AS if you're taking just the AS, A level if you're doing the full A level. No need to take AS exams at all if you're going to do A level exams.
Original post by EOData
You only need to pick one - AS if you're taking just the AS, A level if you're doing the full A Tlevel. No need to take AS exams at all if you're going to do A level exams.

Thanks, that explains things a bit easier.

Thank you for your help :biggrin:
Thank you, that's actually a happy coincidence then as I've been trying to get more info on tutors and exams. So thanks this has taken stress of my chest now. Also just a couple other questions if you don't mind (sorry being a pain) do they do any exam board? (aqa vs edexcel vs ocr) And just for future reference when picking A-level exams do I need to pick both AS-level exam and A level exam or can I just pick the A level one?

Many thanks and sorry being a pain lol

Their web site currently says they do AQA, OCR, Excel and WJEC for GCSE (https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/exam-centre/what-exams-can-I-sit/#gcse).

They have a range of exams and boards for many levels of exam. I would contact them about your needs if you're concerned.
Their web site currently says they do AQA, OCR, Excel and WJEC for GCSE (https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/exam-centre/what-exams-can-I-sit/#gcse).

They have a range of exams and boards for many levels of exam. I would contact them about your needs if you're concerned.

Thank you very much for the help, really appreciate this. :biggrin:
Thanks, that explains things a bit easier.

Thank you for your help :biggrin:

For English: Mr Bruff on youtube

For French: https://www.languagesonline.org.uk/Hotpotatoes/frenchindex.html

For Maths: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports
GCSE Film Studies has close to nothing in terms of help, we get the textbook, some stuff on the exam board website and that is it - I know TSR has some but never clicked on them, I'm doign WJEC but AQA might be different

thank you for the recommendations appreciated
thank you for the recommendations appreciated

I teach Maths so happy to recommend more websites but those passports are a good way to explore what you remember.

Quick Reply

Latest