The Student Room Group

Vet School Interview

Hello!! I have my veterinary interview for Edinburgh in a few weeks, and I'm wondering about how long our answers should be? I don't want to ramble on too much haha
Hey there! Congrats on your interview!
The Edinburgh interview follows a bit of an MMI system in that they have 3 stations that are each 10 minutes. In addition to these stations they also have an additional skills test that goes over things such as drug calculations, data interpretation and observational skills.

In regards to the length of your answers, as unhelpful as it is it kinda does just depend on the question... Some questions warrant a bit more explanation and potentially even anecdotes and those might take a bit longer to talk through. However, others might be a bit more straight forward. I will say that you don't need to worry about filling the whole 10 minutes! Haha that would be excessive. When you finish answering the first question of the station they will continue asking follow up questions and trying to get a bit more information.

A good rule of thumb is if you start repeating yourself or just rewording things that you have already said then you are probably talking a bit too much. However, if (like I mentioned above) you use a personal anecdote to answer a question and that ends up taking a bit longer, don't worry! In fact, any stories or examples that you can give are GREAT! The interviewers are talking to many qualified candidates each day (and you're one of them!!!!) so providing any personal details goes a long way in making you a memorable candidate.

I hope that helps a bit! Below is a link to our website that has a few more tips and tricks for the interview!

https://www.medicmind.co.uk/medicine-ucas-guide/topic/veterinary-medicine-interviews/

Best of luck
Dottie
Medic Mind
Reply 2
Original post by Medic Mind
Hey there! Congrats on your interview!
The Edinburgh interview follows a bit of an MMI system in that they have 3 stations that are each 10 minutes. In addition to these stations they also have an additional skills test that goes over things such as drug calculations, data interpretation and observational skills.

In regards to the length of your answers, as unhelpful as it is it kinda does just depend on the question... Some questions warrant a bit more explanation and potentially even anecdotes and those might take a bit longer to talk through. However, others might be a bit more straight forward. I will say that you don't need to worry about filling the whole 10 minutes! Haha that would be excessive. When you finish answering the first question of the station they will continue asking follow up questions and trying to get a bit more information.

A good rule of thumb is if you start repeating yourself or just rewording things that you have already said then you are probably talking a bit too much. However, if (like I mentioned above) you use a personal anecdote to answer a question and that ends up taking a bit longer, don't worry! In fact, any stories or examples that you can give are GREAT! The interviewers are talking to many qualified candidates each day (and you're one of them!!!!) so providing any personal details goes a long way in making you a memorable candidate.

I hope that helps a bit! Below is a link to our website that has a few more tips and tricks for the interview!

https://www.medicmind.co.uk/medicine-ucas-guide/topic/veterinary-medicine-interviews/

Best of luck
Dottie
Medic Mind

Thank you so much, this was super helpful!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending