The Student Room Group

is there any route to medicine if you have bad grades?

hello, i'm last years s6 leaver currently taking a gap year and i REALLY want to do medicine. i always got discouraged by teachers which is why i was indecisive as they told me it was impossible. i understand how difficult and competitive it can be and i'll do anything to be a doctor.

i've combed through google and the only routes available are access to medicine - which gap year takers aren't eligible for, wider access program which i'm also not eligible for and the choice to take graduate medicine, but to do that i need to take an undergraduate course for which the requirements are good grades by the end of HIGHSCHOOL. I've currently applied to college, and as far as i'm aware its impossible for college students to progress onto medicine in scottish universities.

i really need help, i can't find anyone else in the same situation as me - trying to get into med from college. my school never helped me with college and career paths, they only gave a damn about the people applying to uni. Compared to the entry requirements i have bad high school grades only because i lacked motivation, surely there must be some other way to make up for it? I haven't sat many highers, especially ones needed for uni and i hear they don't allow resits so i'm not sure if i can get into a medical course by getting the grades in college. i know i'm capable of achieving A's. any suggestions or advice would be helpful, thank you.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What about dentistry instead? Then you can focus on the teeth and not the whole body Plus get paid like a king.
Reply 2
Original post by Mmummy
What about dentistry instead? Then you can focus on the teeth and not the whole body Plus get paid like a king.

i have thought about about but is it easier to get into than medicine?
Reply 3
Original post by sa999

Well my brother got into It and he ain’t all that bright. Can you pull the grades off?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sa999

No, it’s more competitive than medicine and requires the same grades anyway.

Were you seriously going to consider dentistry just because it might have been easier to get into? That’s a very flawed idea and begs the question to whether you’re as committed to medicine as you say you are.
Reply 5
Original post by Mesopotamian.

Were you seriously going to consider dentistry just because it might have been easier to get into? That’s a very flawed idea and begs the question to whether you’re as committed to medicine as you say you are.

i haven't considered it because of how easy it is to get into, but only because its my second career option next to medicine.
Original post by sa999
i haven't considered it because of how easy it is to get into, but only because its my second career option next to medicine.

Have you done work experience for either?
Reply 7

Original post by Mmummy
Well my brother got into It and he ain’t all that bright. Can you pull the grades off?

i can pull the grades off but i still really want to do medicine :/
Reply 8
Have you done work experience for either?

nope, i did work experience in s4 but back then i didn't know i wanted to do medicine
Original post by sa999
nope, i did work experience in s4 but back then i didn't know i wanted to do medicine

You need to do more work experience and if you’re considering dentistry then you’d need work experience for that too.

As for your grades, have you considered Access courses or BTECs (or whatever the Scottish equivalents are).
Hi there.

May I ask which A levels your currently studying. Some med schools have very little emphasis on GCSE grades e.g. Newcastle has no GCSE requirements and Exeter only requires grade 4 in English and Maths so you could apply to both of these if you're studying Bio and Chem A level I believe.

For your A levels you'll need 3 A grades on your first sitting or B's if you're a contextual student. Performing well on UCAT and even having work/ volunteering experience can significantly increase your chances of getting an interview to get a place.

Best wishes
Reply 11
You need to do more work experience and if you’re considering dentistry then you’d need work experience for that too.

As for your grades, have you considered Access courses or BTECs (or whatever the Scottish equivalents are).

thank you, and yes i've considered access courses but they don't accept gap year takers. BTECs in scotland are HNCs, i'm currently on the path to one but would they take me to medicine?
Original post by sa999
thank you, and yes i've considered access courses but they don't accept gap year takers. BTECs in scotland are HNCs, i'm currently on the path to one but would they take me to medicine?

You need to check with the medical schools you want to apply to whether they’ll accept the qualification you’re doing. For example, some medical schools accept BTECs which have a certain amount of credits in chemistry and biology. This information can be found listed on their websites usually or you can contact admissions to check.
Reply 13
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

May I ask which A levels your currently studying. Some med schools have very little emphasis on GCSE grades e.g. Newcastle has no GCSE requirements and Exeter only requires grade 4 in English and Maths so you could apply to both of these if you're studying Bio and Chem A level I believe.

For your A levels you'll need 3 A grades on your first sitting or B's if you're a contextual student. Performing well on UCAT and even having work/ volunteering experience can significantly increase your chances of getting an interview to get a place.

Best wishes

i have a higher at A but its ESOL, something that isn't really strong. I'm taking college to get higher maths and chemistry and then moving on to HNCs (BTECs) but im not sure if its enough for glasgow
Original post by Mmummy

Dentistry has very similar requirements, it is also more competitive. Just going into dentistry because you can’t do medicine isn’t a very good idea either
Reply 15
You need to check with the medical schools you want to apply to whether they’ll accept the qualification you’re doing. For example, some medical schools accept BTECs which have a certain amount of credits in chemistry and biology. This information can be found listed on their websites usually or you can contact admissions to check.

i will do that, thank you sm <3
Original post by sa999
i have a higher at A but its ESOL, something that isn't really strong. I'm taking college to get higher maths and chemistry and then moving on to HNCs (BTECs) but im not sure if its enough for glasgow

A levels are the only way to standard undergraduate medicine. I'd just advise you to work your very best to help keep your options open for applying for Glasgow's access course however please don't get your hopes up about this yet as it is possible that you may be rejected.

Best wishes.
A levels are the only way to standard undergraduate medicine. I'd just advise you to work your very best to help keep your options open for applying for Glasgow's access course however please don't get your hopes up about this yet as it is possible that you may be rejected.

Best wishes.

Really?! I thought BTECs or Access courses were also accepted by some schools?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 18

Best wishes.

if i achieve the correct highers (A levels) in college, would it still be possible for me to get into undergraduate medicine?
Really?! I thought BTECs or Access courses were also accepted by some schools?

Oh yes I do apologise access courses do exist but they're even more competitive. I don't think BTECs are allowed as a direct route to undergrad medicine though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending