The Student Room Group

Moving abroad with student debt

Say I want to move abroad, will SLC make me repay my debt?

If I don't, what will they do? Call Interpol and arrest me?

Just curious.
Call Interpol and arrest me? - No. Debt is a civil matter, not a criminal matter. The worst they could do is harass you and interest would accrue on your loan. Don't think it's exactly moral, but that's up to you to decide.
Reply 2
Original post by symptom
Call Interpol and arrest me? - No. Debt is a civil matter, not a criminal matter. The worst they could do is harass you and interest would accrue on your loan. Don't think it's exactly moral, but that's up to you to decide.

Thanks for the reply
Original post by scythe2003
Thanks for the reply

Np 😺 btw IANAL!
Original post by Ford Gang
Brother, how are you expecting to get anywhere in debt?

It's not real debt.
Reply 5
Brother, how are you expecting to get anywhere in debt?

So you are telling me people who have student debt can't move abroad? If I find a job in America/Nigeria/China whatever SLC won't let me leave the country?
So you are telling me people who have student debt can't move abroad? If I find a job in America/Nigeria/China whatever SLC won't let me leave the country?

You can, they're talking bs.
But you need to pay off your debts

No legal obligation to AFAIK.
Reply 8
Original post by symptom
You can, they're talking bs.

Ah ok :P

I'm curious though, say if someone wanted to move abroad, and has no intention of coming back, does that mean that theoretically they could get away with paying back their debt? Morality aside

Seems a bit unfair someone could run away with taxpayers money like that (though I have read on another thread that they could sell your debt to private companies who will treat your debt as commercial debt and demand full payment in one go which is obviously bad)
Ah ok :P

I'm curious though, say if someone wanted to move abroad, and has no intention of coming back, does that mean that theoretically they could get away with paying back their debt? Morality aside

Seems a bit unfair someone could run away with taxpayers money like that (though I have read on another thread that they could sell your debt to private companies who will treat your debt as commercial debt and demand full payment in one go which is obviously bad)

I think that with normal loans, if you apply and don't pay back (as in signing up with no intention to), it would be classed as fraud - and therefore criminal. But with student loans I don't see how you could treat it as a "commercial loan" since you are a private individual, not a business. And I also don't see how it would even be economically viable to sue someone in a different country (or even if that is legally possible).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending