The Student Room Group

The course I want to study at the uni I want to go to is full, what should I do?

I want to study Creative Writing at University of Plymouth, however, difficulty in finding a reference has meant that that my application was rather last minute. I got an email from UCAS a few days ago saying that they had removed this choice from my Uni lineup, meaning that I only have 4 options remaining. I desperately want to go to Plymouth, as I love the feel of the Uni, and have some friends down there. What can I do?
Original post by Ludo43
I want to study Creative Writing at University of Plymouth, however, difficulty in finding a reference has meant that that my application was rather last minute. I got an email from UCAS a few days ago saying that they had removed this choice from my Uni lineup, meaning that I only have 4 options remaining. I desperately want to go to Plymouth, as I love the feel of the Uni, and have some friends down there. What can I do?

Just to clarify, what wording did UCAS use about removing that choice? (You can paste it here so long as you don't include any personal details) The reason I ask is that ordinarily course cannot close before the guaranteed consideration deadline, (today at 6pm I think), so it sounds like something odd has happened, (like the course not being run at all).

I'd check with the uni whether course is under review and likely to be running in 2023, and then await decisions from your other choices before deciding what to do.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Just to clarify, what wording did UCAS use about removing that choice? (You can paste it here so long as you don't include any personal details) The reason I ask is that ordinarily course cannot close before the guaranteed consideration deadline, (today at 6pm I think), so it sounds like something odd has happened, (like the course not being run at all).

I'd check with the uni whether course is under review and likely to be running in 2023, and then await decisions from your other choices before deciding what to do.

Here are the important parts of the email below:

"To enable us to process your application, we have had to remove the choice below as the course is not currently available for September 2022 entry:

University of Plymouth (P60) Creative Writing with Foundation (W802) September 2022

However, this choice or a very similar one may still be available on a different start date and/or at a different campus. You may wish to contact the provider to discuss alternative courses."

When I applied, there was nothing to suggest that the course wouldn't be running.
The course has been cancelled.
It happens - not often, but if a Uni decides it is not feasible for whatever reason, they can just pull it from UCAS.
When this happens you do get the option of another choice.
Original post by Ludo43
Here are the important parts of the email below:

"To enable us to process your application, we have had to remove the choice below as the course is not currently available for September 2022 entry:

University of Plymouth (P60) Creative Writing with Foundation (W802) September 2022

However, this choice or a very similar one may still be available on a different start date and/or at a different campus. You may wish to contact the provider to discuss alternative courses."

When I applied, there was nothing to suggest that the course wouldn't be running.

So for whatever reason the course is not running this year. This does happen although unis do try to avoid pulling them in the middle of an application cycle.

You can give Plymouth a call and see what other Creative Writing progs are available. Unfortunately if there is nothing suitable you will have to use that choice elsewhere.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
So for whatever reason the course is not running this year. This does happen although unis do try to avoid pulling them in the middle of an application cycle.

You can give Plymouth a call and see what other Creative Writing progs are available. Unfortunately if there is nothing suitable you will have to use that choice elsewhere.

Thank you so much for your help. I will give them a call ASAP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending