The Student Room Group

would this be ok? need urgent advice on antidepressants

my other post got deleted because it was against the rules so i won't go into detail. long story short, my mood is extremely low right now. i regret going off my medication (nearly 2 months ago). however, i still have my old medication which i can start taking again.

but i need to know if fluoxetine/prozac will still be effective if i only take it every other day instead of every day? i just want to avoid at least some of the side effects (they always discourage me and cause me to give up on meds). my next appointment is in about two weeks, i don't want to make another one just for this. i just want my 'dark' thoughts to go away
I don't think you should take medical advice from the internet, please get in contact with your GP or pharmacist about it maybe even just ring them up, you don't want to risk anything
Reply 2
Original post by nostxlgic
I don't think you should take medical advice from the internet, please get in contact with your GP or pharmacist about it maybe even just ring them up, you don't want to risk anything

sometimes medical students are more knowledgeable than some doctors/pharmacists.i don't even necessarily meed advice from a medical student, just someone on antidepressants?
i'll consult this with my shrink in two weeks, as well, i just don't wanna talk to him rn
Original post by Ciel.
sometimes medical students are more knowledgeable than some doctors/pharmacists.i don't even necessarily meed advice from a medical student, just someone on antidepressants?
i'll consult this with my shrink in two weeks, as well, i just don't wanna talk to him rn

Fair enough, but I don't know how it worked for you but when I first started fluoxetine it took at least 2 weeks for me to start feeling better so you may as well wait? Plus your doctors will know you better than someone on TSR. Then again I can't stop you and if it helps it helps but just be aware I guess
(edited 2 years ago)
Prozac has the longest antidepressant half-life. It is used to help people wean off other ones because of the long half-life. I am not a doctor but take that as you will. :smile:
If you are having those thoughts, you really shouldn't be going back on an antidepressant without someone keeping an eye on things as they can make those thoughts worse initially. As for taking it every other day, you will just risk getting withdrawal symptoms in between doses, potentially without the benefits. Please speak to someone and don't just self-medicate, Ciel. Hope tings improve for you soon :hugs:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Sabertooth
Prozac has the longest antidepressant half-life. It is used to help people wean off other ones because of the long half-life. I am not a doctor but take that as you will. :smile:

thanks
Original post by black tea
If you are having those thoughts, you really shouldn't be going back on an antidepressant without someone keeping an eye on things as they can make those thoughts worse initially. As for taking it every other day, you will just risk getting withdrawal symptoms in between doses, potentially without the benefits. Please speak to someone and don't just self-medicate, Ciel. Hope tings improve for you soon :hugs:

i don't live alone so it should be alright. i don't remember it making things worse last time so it should be ok..
maybe i'll just take it every day initially, until my next appt and then see if i can take it every other day.
thanks
Original post by Ciel.

When you are able and feel comfortable doing so, you really need to speak with whomever prescribes your meds and tell them that they weren't working for you and why/how you weren't happy with them. They can go over things with you, e.g. symptoms, side effects, non-effects etc. and increase/decrease dosage or frequency or even alter the regimen. This is particularly important if side effects are the reason that you stop taking the medication. It can take a while to get things in place that work for you, but it's important to feedback that it isn't working for you and that you aren't happy. I wish you good luck with it.
Reply 8
Original post by BlueChicken
When you are able and feel comfortable doing so, you really need to speak with whomever prescribes your meds and tell them that they weren't working for you and why/how you weren't happy with them. They can go over things with you, e.g. symptoms, side effects, non-effects etc. and increase/decrease dosage or frequency or even alter the regimen. This is particularly important if side effects are the reason that you stop taking the medication. It can take a while to get things in place that work for you, but it's important to feedback that it isn't working for you and that you aren't happy. I wish you good luck with it.

tbh i've tried lots of different ones. fluoxetine/prozac makes me sleepy/tired/emotionally numb (hence why i was thinking of taking it every other day) but it actually makes me less depressed, too (at least that was the case last time). so yeah kinda scared to try anything new
Original post by Ciel.
tbh i've tried lots of different ones. fluoxetine/prozac makes me sleepy/tired/emotionally numb (hence why i was thinking of taking it every other day) but it actually makes me less depressed, too (at least that was the case last time). so yeah kinda scared to try anything new

That’s completely understandable. Maybe at least have the conversation? You don’t have to change anything if you don’t want to (if you’re actually happy-ish with what you were doing before), and you can make it clear the reasons you don’t want to or are scared to, but they might offer some new solutions that aren’t a drastic change.
Reply 10
That’s completely understandable. Maybe at least have the conversation? You don’t have to change anything if you don’t want to (if you’re actually happy-ish with what you were doing before), and you can make it clear the reasons you don’t want to or are scared to, but they might offer some new solutions that aren’t a drastic change.

yeah, i'll speak to my doctor during my next appointment
Original post by Ciel.
yeah, i'll speak to my doctor during my next appointment

I appreciate it can be hard to speak with them. Just try and remember that the doctor is there to work with you to make things better for you and they won't know if you're not happy or if you're having side-effects (or no effects) if you don't tell them. Best of luck.
Like others have said, please speak to a pharmacist or wait till your GP appointment.

If your aim is to avoid side effects, you may be better off taking a lower dose every day rather than skipping a day. But please confirm this with a pharmacist or a GP first!!
Reply 13
I appreciate it can be hard to speak with them. Just try and remember that the doctor is there to work with you to make things better for you and they won't know if you're not happy or if you're having side-effects (or no effects) if you don't tell them. Best of luck.

i just don't want to experiment with anything new
Original post by micholate9
Like others have said, please speak to a pharmacist or wait till your GP appointment.

If your aim is to avoid side effects, you may be better off taking a lower dose every day rather than skipping a day. But please confirm this with a pharmacist or a GP first!!

i don't think it's possible to not experience side effects on psych meds tbh.. i always get side effects even on a low dose

Quick Reply

Latest