The Student Room Group

I think this is so wrong

Why is my mum so harsh towards my dreams and my passions? I said I would love to be a singer and she said "you're not a professional are you?" which I obviously know because I know that it's not AMAZING but I have practiced for years and it's taken me so long to be able to actually sing above average now, as before my voice wasn't too good. She had a go at me saying I will never be one and I should give up and that really really hurt inside when my own mother makes me feel worthless and I am passionate about taking this path and this dream but she says it's not my dream when all I ever want to do is stand on a stage and sing in front of people or I listen to music constantly imagining it happening. It's my dream and she can't stop me from following it. She is so nice my brothers and says they're amazing at football as they play for good teams as they were picked to play in those teams and they're only little so it's a kids team but one of them is playing against a premier league team in the half term and all they keep going on about is that they're talented and they'll become rich and that. Why do I have to be put down? I feel so offended and I want to prove my mum wrong. Even my grandmother wants me to try. I just want some opinions and advice please.
Original post by Anonymous
Why is my mum so harsh towards my dreams and my passions? I said I would love to be a singer and she said "you're not a professional are you?" which I obviously know because I know that it's not AMAZING but I have practiced for years and it's taken me so long to be able to actually sing above average now, as before my voice wasn't too good. She had a go at me saying I will never be one and I should give up and that really really hurt inside when my own mother makes me feel worthless and I am passionate about taking this path and this dream but she says it's not my dream when all I ever want to do is stand on a stage and sing in front of people or I listen to music constantly imagining it happening. It's my dream and she can't stop me from following it. She is so nice my brothers and says they're amazing at football as they play for good teams as they were picked to play in those teams and they're only little so it's a kids team but one of them is playing against a premier league team in the half term and all they keep going on about is that they're talented and they'll become rich and that. Why do I have to be put down? I feel so offended and I want to prove my mum wrong. Even my grandmother wants me to try. I just want some opinions and advice please.

I agree she's being rude about it. I imagine it comes from her wanted you to have another career option in case the singing doesn't work out - but not as excuse for her to be mean to you :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I agree she's being rude about it. I imagine it comes from her wanted you to have another career option in case the singing doesn't work out - but not as excuse for her to be mean to you :frown:

Yes, I get that which is completely fine I've told her if it doesn't work out I can always find another career.
Yes, I get that which is completely fine I've told her if it doesn't work out I can always find another career.

What stage of education are you at? If you have exams etc. I wonder if she's worried you won't focus on them as much and therefore another career may be tricker if you don't. Good luck with it all anyway :smile:
Even great singers don't make it into the industry because it is so difficult. It's more of a natural talent and any amount of training won't get you to the level where it would be considered good enough to become a professional if you don't have the initial talent. So to go from below average to professional is probably not going to happen. And if it does then most careers are a short lived dream for a majority of people. I do think you need to seriously consider other careers and put as much effort into something else. There is a big difference between supporting someone to achieve their dreams and enabling them in an ambition that is never going to happen.
I kind of understand where your coming from though my mother didn’t block my dreams I personally understood some professions such as Football and Cricket isn’t realistic even though it’s always been a boyhood dream of mine to play for my boyhood team because I love my football and I’m brilliant at it or to put on the national team cricket jersey of the country my mother was born in. But that’ll never happen a slim glimmer of hope.
Another option....this is...the V. O. I. C. E!

Unfortunately singing is one of the many professions that hardwork doesn't correlate with success at all. In these recent times you mainly need connections and a good producer to make things happen, certain times talented people become "lucky" and fame reaches them and finds them a connection.
I think your mum knows this and that is why she's discouraging you to do otherwise, sometimes it's good to discourage people if you do not think they are doing things right. Also take this cue to not always be the "supportive" friend everyone always want to see in this generation. Close relatives are supposed to tell you what THEY think. However, there's still a chance you'll make it big out there nevertheless, a musician to make it without initial talent us Ed sheeran! and he's still in the limelight today,. However, he didn't just make it through hardwork alone. If you are still strongly attached to pursuing this goal please do go for it with all your heart. What matters in life is being happy at whatever you do anyways! And not who's more successful. Just don't hate your mum for her opinions on the matter, I believe she wants the best for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending