The Student Room Group

Law essay - quick question

In law essays, the question asked whether you agree or disagree to the statement. Do I need to add a paragraph on the opposing argument, or do I not mention the other side at all?

Also, when answering practice questions to send to tutors for feedback, do we have to do the whole referencing thing, because that takes a long time to do, or can we just answer the question in a paragraph to send to them?
Original post by roses_are_rosie
In law essays, the question asked whether you agree or disagree to the statement. Do I need to add a paragraph on the opposing argument, or do I not mention the other side at all?

Also, when answering practice questions to send to tutors for feedback, do we have to do the whole referencing thing, because that takes a long time to do, or can we just answer the question in a paragraph to send to them?

Is this an admissions test, uni, A Level or something else?
I don’t have any knowledge about law essays but if you can be more specific you can figure out who to approach or find model answers on the web.
Original post by sciencegcsesss
Is this an admissions test, uni, A Level or something else?
I don’t have any knowledge about law essays but if you can be more specific you can figure out who to approach or find model answers on the web.

university
university

Oh okay. I’m just an a level student so I may be wrong but the best thing would be to clarify this with your professors
Oh okay. I’m just an a level student so I may be wrong but the best thing would be to clarify this with your professors

ahh ok, thanks for helping out anyway, have a great rest of your day'
ahh ok, thanks for helping out anyway, have a great rest of your day'

No problem. You too :smile:
No problem. You too :smile:

ty :smile:

You absolutely need counterarguments. You can shoot them down and explain why they don't affect your argument, or acknowledge their strength and how this may undermine your argument slightly but that other facts strengthen your side so your argument still has value.

I've never just done a practice question, but I don't see why you wouldn't reference. Takes about 2 minutes to reference a paragraph, after all.
Original post by hopeful-lawyer
You absolutely need counterarguments. You can shoot them down and explain why they don't affect your argument, or acknowledge their strength and how this may undermine your argument slightly but that other facts strengthen your side so your argument still has value.

I've never just done a practice question, but I don't see why you wouldn't reference. Takes about 2 minutes to reference a paragraph, after all.

First of all, thank you for replying to me.

Would having a whole paragraph of counter argument be better or for each paragraph to counter it?

2 minutes?? how do you do it, I've just started uni, so I'm pretty new to referencing. We do oscola, any tips?
If it’s an exam type questions we don’t have to do full odcolo references. We do have to say “as rogers says (2012) or in tigers v Williams. So you do have to acknowledge the source but not do a formal long reference.

Mostly I do one paragraph towards the end with counter arguments. As it flows better. Else you are constantly going back and forth.
First of all, thank you for replying to me.

Would having a whole paragraph of counter argument be better or for each paragraph to counter it?

2 minutes?? how do you do it, I've just started uni, so I'm pretty new to referencing. We do oscola, any tips?

I think you're thinking of it too rigidly. It's whatever feels natural with the questions. If the topic is contentious, and your argument is controversial, feel free to include those counterarguments and shoot them down. If there isn't much, then make do with the few counterarguments that do exist.

Not really. Referencing isn't a skill, just follow the OSCOLA guides. I use the quicker reference.
Original post by Catherine1973
If it’s an exam type questions we don’t have to do full odcolo references. We do have to say “as rogers says (2012) or in tigers v Williams. So you do have to acknowledge the source but not do a formal long reference.

Mostly I do one paragraph towards the end with counter arguments. As it flows better. Else you are constantly going back and forth.

ah I see!

So does that apple to a real exam question as well, since this is just a practice?

Got it, I don't wanna counter myself too much, but I do want to make sure that I acknowledge other arguments.

Also how much cases would you use in a 1500 word essay?

tysm
That applies in our real exams, whether online or in person. You don’t need to fully reference.

But that’s my university. You should ask your tutors..
Original post by Catherine1973
That applies in our real exams, whether online or in person. You don’t need to fully reference.

But that’s my university. You should ask your tutors..

ok ty!

Quick Reply

Latest