The Student Room Group

university of Birmingham engineering

I've sent off my ucas application at the start of December and I'm still waiting for decisions.
And I wanted to know if in your opinion the university of Birmingham is worth going for engineering in terms of the course and employment opportunities after?
I've also applied to bristol ucl warwick
many thanks
Original post by h.h.
I've sent off my ucas application at the start of December and I'm still waiting for decisions.
And I wanted to know if in your opinion the university of Birmingham is worth going for engineering in terms of the course and employment opportunities after?
I've also applied to bristol ucl warwick
many thanks

depends on the type of engineering but also, Birmingham has connections with JLR and similar companies, which recruit from the uni as ive heard, they also have a careers network and ive seen a lot of posts with people saying they were able to get jobs fairly soon after graduating, however, this is down to how well you do in your degree and if you grasp all the opportunities available to you
Reply 2
Original post by nutellamilkcake
depends on the type of engineering but also, Birmingham has connections with JLR and similar companies, which recruit from the uni as ive heard, they also have a careers network and ive seen a lot of posts with people saying they were able to get jobs fairly soon after graduating, however, this is down to how well you do in your degree and if you grasp all the opportunities available to you

im applying for civil engineering
Original post by h.h.
im applying for civil engineering

pretty sure they have lots of stuff for civil check out their website
What grades did you get?
Reply 5
Original post by the_icy_goldfish
What grades did you get?

I've applied with my predicted grades A*A*A and I have my exams this summer.
I've also applied to Bristol UCL and Warwick.
Original post by h.h.
I've also applied to Bristol UCL and Warwick

Im applying to them unis + Southampton and have received offers from birmingham and southampton for EEE. Have u any offers from your other unis yet.
Reply 7
Original post by MackayS11287
Im applying to them unis + Southampton and have received offers from birmingham and southampton for EEE. Have u any offers from your other unis yet.

I just received my first offer yesterday from Birmingham for engineering. And I also received an offer for computer science from Birmingham (I just applied for computer science just in case I change my mind but I think I'm going for engineering).

Where are you aiming to go?
Original post by h.h.
I've also applied to Bristol UCL and Warwick.

Why not Imperial?
Reply 9
Original post by anonymous #5000
Why not Imperial?

I've heard its kind of hard
Reply 10
Original post by anonymous #5000
Why not Imperial?

What do you think of Birmingham?

many thanks
Original post by h.h.
I just received my first offer yesterday from Birmingham for engineering. And I also received an offer for computer science from Birmingham (I just applied for computer science just in case I change my mind but I think I'm going for engineering).

I am aiming to go to either Warwick or Bristol yet haven’t received offers from them yet. I like how Warwick has a shared first year for all engineering applicants and allows u to choose what type of engineering at the start of the 2nd year plus Warwick has a good reputation, Bristol I’m drawn to due to the social life aspect as well as it being a great university as well. I’m putting Birmingham as insurance and For some reason Southampton doesn’t appeal to me as it isn’t as prestigous and many people from my school plan to go to Southampton and I really want to get as far away as possible from my current situation, however Southampton gives flexibility with its offer ie AAA or A*AB which will act as a good safety net if I firm it however I’m planning on visiting all the unis and maybe my mind will change.
Original post by MackayS11287
I am aiming to go to either Warwick or Bristol yet haven’t received offers from them yet. I like how Warwick has a shared first year for all engineering applicants and allows u to choose what type of engineering at the start of the 2nd year plus Warwick has a good reputation, Bristol I’m drawn to due to the social life aspect as well as it being a great university as well. I’m putting Birmingham as insurance and For some reason Southampton doesn’t appeal to me as it isn’t as prestigous and many people from my school plan to go to Southampton and I really want to get as far away as possible from my current situation, however Southampton gives flexibility with its offer ie AAA or A*AB which will act as a good safety net if I firm it however I’m planning on visiting all the unis and maybe my mind will change.

Original post by h.h.

I chose Birmingham as my insurance as the entry requirements are slightly lower than ucl, warwick, etc however I’ve researched it a lot and I have a high regard for the place and the name certainly entices awe, as at the end of the day it is a Russel group uni( a good one not like Newcastle or Liverpool) and ranked around 90th globally so it’s has reputation and is globally renowned.
Original post by h.h.
What do you think of Birmingham?

many thanks

Birmingham is a good university and I know it's very good for chem eng. That being said, Imperial and UCL have significantly better overall reputations if you decide to go into more generalist roles (finance, consulting etc.) which most engineers tend to end up pursuing. So I'd go with them if I'm honest.

Quick Reply

Latest