The Student Room Group

are my subjects ok for PPE courses HELPPP ASAP

GUYSS SO I NEED SERIOUS HELP ASAP.I don’t do a levels, but I do CBSE and I’m gonna apply to unis in the US or UK mainly, Canada too maybe.My subjects are English Psychology Politics Biology Economics Okay so now: I’m not really fairing well in economics, my overall percentage dropped by 8 cus of it. There are a few reasons for it; 1) The teacher is very biased and wants me to leave it and I get demotivated very easily 2) 11th grade eco is a lot of stats which I’m horrible at however grade 12 eco is mainly macroeconomics with no stats which I know I can do- But I have my 11th finals coming and I don’t want eco to ruin my overall percentage

Anyhow I was thinking of dropping it for sociology but then I’ve heard socio isn’t respected a lot and is seen as a soft subject, I’m scared I have too many soft subjects (not sure how unis view psych and politics) But I know with socio I could get an A* or an A The courses I’m interested in are either International Relations With Public policy or something similar, or clinical Psychology, or environmental sustainability/management. Law is something I’m also looking at but I’m not that sure yet.

I also have the option of leaving eco for either socio of history, however if I’m leaving it I might as well leave it for a subject that’s lighter, history is definitely easier for me than eco but idk I know socio would prolly be easier but I’ll sure I can get an A in history too but it’s gonna be alot of work considering all my subjects are already heavy essay based.

Would dropping eco and taking socio reduce my chances at courses like law or public policy? Are my other subjects well respected? Also I’ve heard universities in US don’t really look at what subjects u have unless ur planning to do medicine or engineering or something and focus on ur grades, SATs and extracurriculars etc. Cus if that’s true I should prolly just leave eco and take socio and get good grades..

So it’s basically take a harder subject and score decent marks or take an easier one and get good grades.However like I said I can get good grades in 12th grade Economics since there’s zero stats but don’t colleges also look at ur 11th final grades cus then Eco can pose a problem. I think colleges in the US look at ur grades from 9th grade around however about UK I think it’s mainly 10th and 12th. Also is it possible that the university might let bad grades in one subject go if my other subjects are all good, like do they also look at what u’ve scored in subjects individually?

Also sorry I’m not sure which forum to post this on I’m kinda new

PLEASEE LMK FAST I gotta let my school know ASAP!!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by soya_bean
GUYSS SO I NEED SERIOUS HELP ASAP.I don’t do a levels, but I do CBSE and I’m gonna apply to unis in the US or UK mainly, Canada too maybe.My subjects are English Psychology Politics Biology Economics Okay so now: I’m not really fairing well in economics, my overall percentage dropped by 8 cus of it. There are a few reasons for it; 1) The teacher is very biased and wants me to leave it and I get demotivated very easily 2) 11th grade eco is a lot of stats which I’m horrible at however grade 12 eco is mainly macroeconomics with no stats which I know I can do- But I have my 11th finals coming and I don’t want eco to ruin my overall percentage

Anyhow I was thinking of dropping it for sociology but then I’ve heard socio isn’t respected a lot and is seen as a soft subject, I’m scared I have too many soft subjects (not sure how unis view psych and politics) But I know with socio I could get an A* or an A The courses I’m interested in are either International Relations With Public policy or something similar, or clinical Psychology, or environmental sustainability/management. Law is something I’m also looking at but I’m not that sure yet.

I also have the option of leaving eco for either socio of history, however if I’m leaving it I might as well leave it for a subject that’s lighter, history is definitely easier for me than eco but idk I know socio would prolly be easier but I’ll sure I can get an A in history too but it’s gonna be alot of work considering all my subjects are already heavy essay based.

Would dropping eco and taking socio reduce my chances at courses like law or public policy? Are my other subjects well respected? Also I’ve heard universities in US don’t really look at what subjects u have unless ur planning to do medicine or engineering or something and focus on ur grades, SATs and extracurriculars etc. Cus if that’s true I should prolly just leave eco and take socio and get good grades..

So it’s basically take a harder subject and score decent marks or take an easier one and get good grades.However like I said I can get good grades in 12th grade Economics since there’s zero stats but don’t colleges also look at ur 11th final grades cus then Eco can pose a problem. I think colleges in the US look at ur grades from 9th grade around however about UK I think it’s mainly 10th and 12th. Also is it possible that the university might let bad grades in one subject go if my other subjects are all good, like do they also look at what u’ve scored in subjects individually?

Your subjects are definitely fine for PPE, I'd go as far to say that they're good subjects to have for it. Where are you applying from? Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by erinwatson
Your subjects are definitely fine for PPE, I'd go as far to say that they're good subjects to have for it. Where are you applying from? Good luck!

from India ahaha i still have an year left until i apply, however i was oscillating between keeping economics or dropping it for socio or history, think im gonna go with socio cus all my other subjects are already a bit heavy. Oh cus a few colleges mentioned they want u to have had taken math and history :I

PPE at Oxford is highly competitive, you want to have at least one of Maths/History (ideally both tbh but I realise that this is not an option for you). What were your 10th grade results? They’re quite important for Oxford PPE. Since you’re not doing maths, I would recommend sticking with economics since the subject has a decent amount of maths and stats. Don’t worry, Uk unis do not ask for your 11th grades. Just get a decent grade in 11th and a good grade in 12th mid terms so that your predicted grade is high. I would recommend dropping biology and picking up history instead, it will make your application better. May I ask why you’re not doing maths? Most PPE applicants have maths to A level, some even have FM. It’s not necessary, but it’s highly recommended. But if you can’t do maths because you don’t like it/are worried about your grade, then I would recommend : English, Psychology/biology, politics, history, economics. Taking maths instead of one of these would honestly reduce your workload lol.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous(
PPE at Oxford is highly competitive, you want to have at least one of Maths/History (ideally both tbh but I realise that this is not an option for you). What were your 10th grade results? They’re quite important for Oxford PPE. Since you’re not doing maths, I would recommend sticking with economics since the subject has a decent amount of maths and stats. Don’t worry, Uk unis do not ask for your 11th grades. Just get a decent grade in 11th and a good grade in 12th mid terms so that your predicted grade is high. I would recommend dropping biology and picking up history instead, it will make your application better. May I ask why you’re not doing maths? Most PPE applicants have maths to A level, some even have FM. It’s not necessary, but it’s highly recommended. But if you can’t do maths because you don’t like it/are worried about your grade, then I would recommend : English, Psychology/biology, politics, history, economics. Taking maths instead of one of these would honestly reduce your workload lol.

I dont really like maths and its a lot of work for me, a reason why i dont want to keep econ is cus 11th grade econ has a lot of stats and im not sure which curricula ur doing but mine doesnt let you use calculators lol if they did id keep eco. The subjects (English, psychology, biology, politics) i have rn i like all of them, the only question is whether i leave eco for either sociology or history. Oxford PPE is definitely very competitive and i wont be able to get in without math even if i have econ lol so why keep it, its not exactly helping increase my options, dropping it wont necessarily reduce them either right, it'll just increase my grade overall. Also im not just looking at unis in the UK, dont unis in the US let u do any course despite ur subjects, i mean sure for medicine and stuff you'll probably have to do a foundation course or something for an year but yea
Reply 5

my 10th was 80% technically it was supposed to be 85% but our like curriculum's board this year had a new way of evaluating, so they'd check your schools average over the past 3 years (non covid years) and if the avg in the current year was way higher they'd reduce it suspecting like the school increased grades since covid and stuff and the curriculums board members couldnt come visit and see how everything is running
my 10th was 80% technically it was supposed to be 85% but our like curriculum's board this year had a new way of evaluating, so they'd check your schools average over the past 3 years (non covid years) and if the avg in the current year was way higher they'd reduce it suspecting like the school increased grades since covid and stuff and the curriculums board members couldnt come visit and see how everything is running

I’m going be very honest with you, you’re unlikely to be a competitive applicant for PPE at Oxford. You can try some other great UK unis though, and also US ones. Just pick whatever subject you like tbh. You would typically need 90% +, ideally 95 in 10th and good subject combinations to just get your foot in the door. You also have to do well on the admissions test and interviews. So, i would say, apply to Oxford, but don’t make your decisions Oxford centric. Focus on other unis that you really want to go to. Most of them won’t have such stringent requirements, so you can just take whatever subject you like.
Reply 7
I’m going be very honest with you, you’re unlikely to be a competitive applicant for PPE at Oxford. You can try some other great UK unis though, and also US ones. Just pick whatever subject you like tbh. You would typically need 90% +, ideally 95 in 10th and good subject combinations to just get your foot in the door. You also have to do well on the admissions test and interviews. So, i would say, apply to Oxford, but don’t make your decisions Oxford centric. Focus on other unis that you really want to go to. Most of them won’t have such stringent requirements, so you can just take whatever subject you like.

okay but how do unis view sociology as a subject? i dont want to have all "light" subjects, i know english and bio are okay, not sure about psychology and politics and socio.

also idk why you thought im planning to apply to oxford, i know i dont have the subjects or the grades so yea.

is it true about the unis in the US not having any specific subject requirements
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending