The Student Room Group

Help- missed UCAS deadline

unfortunately I missed the deadline by 40 minutes. what would be the appropriate thing to do- should I call up all my uni choices and ask if they will still consider? can I still get offers from unis from now? also how would I know if they absolutely won't consider my application, is there a specific date after which there's no chance of me getting in? what would be my options then?

I applied for Sociology in various unis around London (all require Bs and Cs) if that helps
the deadline only states that unis aren't guaranteed to look at your application but it's most likely that they will, especially for less competitive courses. you definitely can get offers from now, so don't worry about it.
even if you don't get an offer, clearing is also an option, there are lots of great unis who would be glad to accept you then too
nah you're fine, you'll be in the same pile of people who applied right before or on the deadline
Reply 3
Original post by liltokyoghoul
nah you're fine, you'll be in the same pile of people who applied right before or on the deadline

really? how so? Sorry only asking as this is the fist time I'm hearing that this can be the case
Original post by spicycat
really? how so? Sorry only asking as this is the fist time I'm hearing that this can be the case

you only missed it by 40 minutes, the universities are unlikely to separate your application from everyone else. if you were weeks late then it'd be different but you haven't got anything to worry about dw
Reply 5
you only missed it by 40 minutes, the universities are unlikely to separate your application from everyone else. if you were weeks late then it'd be different but you haven't got anything to worry about dw

seriously?? I was always told it was separated into two; those who met the deadline and those who missed it (regardless of how late by). Could I ask if you have experience with dealing with applications or are just assuming, sorry if it sounds like I'm interrogating you just trying to make sure?
unfortunately I missed the deadline by 40 minutes. what would be the appropriate thing to do- should I call up all my uni choices and ask if they will still consider? can I still get offers from unis from now? also how would I know if they absolutely won't consider my application, is there a specific date after which there's no chance of me getting in? what would be my options then?

I applied for Sociology in various unis around London (all require Bs and Cs) if that helps

Have you spoken to ucas to ask if your application was flagged as on time or late?

Ucas have some leniency over the deadline, particularly if you were in the process of trying to submit before the deadline and possible problems with their website could have contributed to a delay.

Universities don’t know when an application was received by ucas. They don’t have the information to judge if an application met the deadline.

They only see if ucas flag an application as on time or late.
seriously?? I was always told it was separated into two; those who met the deadline and those who missed it (regardless of how late by). Could I ask if you have experience with dealing with applications or are just assuming, sorry if it sounds like I'm interrogating you just trying to make sure?

UCAS tend to push the importance of the 6PM deadline quite heavily, so I'd imagine it cannot be guaranteed that you'll be given equal consideration now. I'd email your unis and let them know of your circumstances. Hopefully they won't mind the 40 minutes, but a deadline is a deadline for a reason - you won't always be able to talk yourself out of things, so just bear that in mind for future deadlines.
Best of luck and I hope your application goes well :smile:

This isn’t the case at all.

Ucas have sent all on time applications on to universities as of this afternoon.

Applications flagged as late will start to be sent to us on January 31.
Original post by Indililam1
UCAS tend to push the importance of the 6PM deadline quite heavily, so I'd imagine it cannot be guaranteed that you'll be given equal consideration now. I'd email your unis and let them know of your circumstances. Hopefully they won't mind the 40 minutes, but a deadline is a deadline for a reason - you won't always be able to talk yourself out of things, so just bear that in mind for future deadlines.
Best of luck and I hope your application goes well :smile:

If the application wasn’t marked as on time then the universities won’t be able to see it yet.

Please stop giving OP inaccurate advice.
Original post by PQ
If the application wasn’t marked as on time then the universities won’t be able to see it yet.

Please stop giving OP inaccurate advice.

I didn't realise that late applications, regardless of timings, were not sent out until the 31st, but I'd say that my advice about deadlines is still relevant.

I've also only replied once to this thread; I think you are confusing me with the poster above, but apologies for the inaccurate info and thanks for the learning opportunity :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
Have you spoken to ucas to ask if your application was flagged as on time or late?

Ucas have some leniency over the deadline, particularly if you were in the process of trying to submit before the deadline and possible problems with their website could have contributed to a delay.

Hi. I tweeted them yesterday after missing the deadline and they said this "Hi there, -You can still submit an application form after the deadline, however it will be a case of checking with your choices if they are still accepting application forms."
Do you think I should maybe call UCAS instead to ask if they can mark it at as on time?
Hi. I tweeted them yesterday after missing the deadline and they said this "Hi there, -You can still submit an application form after the deadline, however it will be a case of checking with your choices if they are still accepting application forms."
Do you think I should maybe call UCAS instead to ask if they can mark it at as on time?

They won’t change how your application is marked. Their generic response doesn’t indicate anything about whether your application is classed as on time or late.

You need to ring them tomorrow to ask them HOW it is marked: on time or late.

How it’s marked makes a difference to whether you need to take any further action.
Original post by Indililam1
I didn't realise that late applications, regardless of timings, were not sent out until the 31st, but I'd say that my advice about deadlines is still relevant.

I've also only replied once to this thread; I think you are confusing me with the poster above, but apologies for the inaccurate info and thanks for the learning opportunity :smile:

If OPs application has been flagged as on time by ucas then emailing their universities about missing the deadline is going to be counterproductive.
Original post by PQ
If OPs application has been flagged as on time by ucas then emailing their universities about missing the deadline is going to be counterproductive.

Of course, but OP did submit after the deadline so I assumed that late meant late. I didn't realise that it isn't as cut and dry as it seems. I apologise for the inaccurate advice.
Reply 16
Original post by PQ
They won’t change how your application is marked. Their generic response doesn’t indicate anything about whether your application is classed as on time or late.

You need to ring them tomorrow to ask them HOW it is marked: on time or late.

How it’s marked makes a difference to whether you need to take any further action.

ah ok, i see. but what if they say that all applications which were submitted after 6pm were flagged as late (including mine)? Could I ask if they would consider changing it to be flagged as on time, or would this be useless? If again the say they won't consider, is it then when I would email/phone up my uni choices?
(edited 2 years ago)
ah ok, i see. but what if they say that all applications which were submitted after 6pm were flagged as late (including mine)? Could I ask if they would consider changing it to be flagged as on time, or would this be useless? If again the say they won't consider, is it then when I would email/phone up my uni choices?

Like I said. They take into account your activity on their website at the time the deadline passed.

I have known applicants who finally submitted 2 hours after the deadline flagged as on time. And others who submitted 5 minutes after the deadline flagged as late.

You need to ask them to tell you whether your individual application has been marked as late or on time before you do anything.

They won’t change the status unless you can prove that a technical problem with their website prevented you from submitting on time.

And if it is flagged as late then your universities won’t receive it until Monday so you have plenty of time to decide what to do next
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending