The Student Room Group

Some help please

I’m really struggling what to pick for my A levels so far I have definitely chosen English Lit and Psychology but am torn what to choose next . I could do medical science or biology as I am good at biology and enjoy it but it taking only one science silly ? I could take Business as it opens a wide range of choices but it’s not the most exciting thing.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Niahaf
I’m really struggling what to pick for my A levels so far I have definitely chosen English Lit and Psychology but am torn what to choose next . I could do medical science or biology as I am good at biology and enjoy it but it taking only one science silly ? I could take Business as it opens a wide range of choices but it’s not the most exciting thing.

Do you have anything specific you want to do at a level, I do biology and it's my most enjoyable subject and crosses over quite a lot with psychology also doing biology would open up lots of choices as you'd have done a social science, essay subject and hard science
i do english lit psychology and sociology, what about sociology?
Reply 3
What would sociology open up to me ?
Reply 4
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Do you have anything specific you want to do at a level, I do biology and it's my most enjoyable subject and crosses over quite a lot with psychology also doing biology would open up lots of choices as you'd have done a social science, essay subject and hard science

I’m more interested in the human anatomy in biology not so much the plants part , what Uni courses could I do if only taking bio and psychology not like chemistry with it too
Original post by Niahaf

Do you want to go to uni? Unless you don't, I'd personally say don't take business as it'll teach you skills you can learn easily later on. Biology would give you far more options of what you could take at uni, and if you'd be interested in going down the psychology route would be very helpful.
Reply 6
Original post by oliveraptor6
Do you want to go to uni? Unless you don't, I'd personally say don't take business as it'll teach you skills you can learn easily later on. Biology would give you far more options of what you could take at uni, and if you'd be interested in going down the psychology route would be very helpful.

Yes I would like to go to uni , will English lit be helpful with my application - say I take biology psychology and English - would I get accepted onto psychologist courses or maybe even law and they say for law you just need solid a levels with good grades , as I’m not fully sure what I’d like to pursue at uni
Law you'll be good with anything so long as you get decent grades, but english lit will defo help a lot and get you in the mindset of reading and literary analysis. English lit, psychology and bio is a good mix I reckon, you're defo open to psychology and non maths-heavy biology courses at uni, and you're equally open to law and plenty of other courses.
Reply 8
Law you'll be good with anything so long as you get decent grades, but english lit will defo help a lot and get you in the mindset of reading and literary analysis. English lit, psychology and bio is a good mix I reckon, you're defo open to psychology and non maths-heavy biology courses at uni, and you're equally open to law and plenty of other courses.

Thanks you so much this has helped massively! What type of medical courses would accept bio and psych ? Also the business option is a diploma so the second year it’s just coursework which will relieve the stress and allow me to focus on other subjects that’s why I was considering it and I get to choose 4 along with Welsh back but majority people drop one or even two
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Niahaf
I’m more interested in the human anatomy in biology not so much the plants part , what Uni courses could I do if only taking bio and psychology not like chemistry with it too

Im in Y13 and we spent like 2 weeks on plants but have spent loads of time on human anatomy so I think you would enjoy the course, for uni when I was looking you could do anything in biosciences apart from biochemistry but for biochemistry some will let you do it without chemistry
Original post by Niahaf
Thanks you so much this has helped massively! What type of medical courses would accept bio and psych ? Also the business option is a diploma so the second year it’s just coursework which will relieve the stress and allow me to focus on other subjects that’s why I was considering it and I get to choose 4 along with Welsh back but majority people drop one or even two

I'm not familiar with medicine course requirements sorry, but I'd day its pretty likely that as long as its not a maths heavy course like bioengineering or biotech, you'd be eligible for entry to most bio/medical courses. Defo check that yourself though. Yeah that thing with business sounds good, as English is by no means an easy light workload A-level (but its not awful either). Keep in mind when you're choosing that bio is very content heavy - I always used to think of it as the 'history of the sciences' in that there's a lot to learn (memory over skill application). Bio is still epic though, wish I'd done it myself.
Reply 11
I'm not familiar with medicine course requirements sorry, but I'd day its pretty likely that as long as its not a maths heavy course like bioengineering or biotech, you'd be eligible for entry to most bio/medical courses. Defo check that yourself though. Yeah that thing with business sounds good, as English is by no means an easy light workload A-level (but its not awful either). Keep in mind when you're choosing that bio is very content heavy - I always used to think of it as the 'history of the sciences' in that there's a lot to learn (memory over skill application). Bio is still epic though, wish I'd done it myself.

Okay I will check myself , what did you take as you seem to know your stuff well on option choices
Original post by Niahaf
Okay I will check myself , what did you take as you seem to know your stuff well on option choices

Maths Physics Geography, took further maths too but dropped it before exams (too much minecraft over lockdowns lol, fell really far behind). I'm on a gap year now so have finished school. I've thought quite a bit about what I would have taken if I had more slots which is why I know a little bit about more options.
Reply 14
Maths Physics Geography, took further maths too but dropped it before exams (too much minecraft over lockdowns lol, fell really far behind). I'm on a gap year now so have finished school. I've thought quite a bit about what I would have taken if I had more slots which is why I know a little bit about more options.

Physics and maths ( too smart for me lol ) I think I’ll stick to picking 3 as I want to enjoy it not be stressed. What you gonna do on your gap year I’m intrigued now ?
Original post by Niahaf
Physics and maths ( too smart for me lol ) I think I’ll stick to picking 3 as I want to enjoy it not be stressed. What you gonna do on your gap year I’m intrigued now ?

Done some work for an events agency (walking around at fancy events (Tower Bridge, Tate Modern, Guildhall etc) with drinks and canapés). Now at this architecture firm doing admin stuff mainly. Basically earning some money to travel later this summer.

If you're thinking about taking a gap year, I'd start planning it Christmas of upper sixth or even earlier if possible. I wasted a bunch of time, didn't even start working until November.
Three A-levels sounds good, so much better to be under less pressure and enjoy yourself more. Likely means you'll end up doing better in those subjects as you'll have more time for them. I take it you're doing GCSE's now?
Reply 16
Done some work for an events agency (walking around at fancy events (Tower Bridge, Tate Modern, Guildhall etc) with drinks and canapés). Now at this architecture firm doing admin stuff mainly. Basically earning some money to travel later this summer.

If you're thinking about taking a gap year, I'd start planning it Christmas of upper sixth or even earlier if possible. I wasted a bunch of time, didn't even start working until November.
Three A-levels sounds good, so much better to be under less pressure and enjoy yourself more. Likely means you'll end up doing better in those subjects as you'll have more time for them. I take it you're doing GCSE's now?

Wow sounds busy and exciting I wish u all the luck. Yes I am doing GCSEs now I’m finishing in may for study leave then exams in summer and I’m done it’s flown by and I’ll be very happy to get them over with
Original post by Niahaf

it depends what you want to do. and even if you don't yet, if you don't see yourself having a science based career then what's the point. if your not sure, business opens a lot of doors and it is relatively easy to get good grades, if u stay on top of it
Reply 18
Original post by anastasjla
it depends what you want to do. and even if you don't yet, if you don't see yourself having a science based career then what's the point. if your not sure, business opens a lot of doors and it is relatively easy to get good grades, if u stay on top of it

Good point , I was just thinking having a science goes well with physchology and shows unis I’m academic
Original post by Niahaf
Wow sounds busy and exciting I wish u all the luck. Yes I am doing GCSEs now I’m finishing in may for study leave then exams in summer and I’m done it’s flown by and I’ll be very happy to get them over with

Thanks! Likewise with you, good luck with GCSEs and hope you enjoy the summer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest