The Student Room Group

Holocaust Memorial Day

It is 77 years since the Auschwitz-Birkenau death factory was liberated by the Russian army.

As the number of survivors dwindles it is up to us to remember what happened to the Jews of Europe.
IHM2022.jpg
RIP all those who tragically perished - whether Jewish, Homosexual, disabled or Gypsy

I hope this day serves as a humbling reminder to those who compare pandemic restrictions to the Third Reich

RIP to all those persecuted and killed
Six days before the liberation of Auschwitz, one of my ancestors was transferred from there to Buchenwald. He died either in Buchenwald or most likely on a forced march from there, as the prisoners were moved in advance of the liberation of the camp.

His younger sister and younger brother had not been arrested because they were at school when he was arrested along with his older sister, mum and dad, and these three died in Auschwitz. The younger sister gave a testimony which is at the Shoah Memorial in Paris, without which I would be unaware of what happened to these four ancestors, and later on found out about a fifth.

Five of the six million who died.
Reply 5
Original post by mondays child
Six days before the liberation of Auschwitz, one of my ancestors was transferred from there to Buchenwald. He died either in Buchenwald or most likely on a forced march from there, as the prisoners were moved in advance of the liberation of the camp.

His younger sister and younger brother had not been arrested because they were at school when he was arrested along with his older sister, mum and dad, and these three died in Auschwitz. The younger sister gave a testimony which is at the Shoah Memorial in Paris, without which I would be unaware of what happened to these four ancestors, and later on found out about a fifth.

Five of the six million who died.

I am so sorry for your loss.

May their names be for a blessing.
Original post by the bear
I am so sorry for your loss.

May their names be for a blessing.

Thank you. I hope to visit the memorial in Paris again later this year.

Quick Reply

Latest