The Student Room Group

what actually happens at prom?

in year 11, everyone's talking about prom and i'm trying to figure out whether or not i want to go. ive heard people say its boring, and i wouldnt know what to wear.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
in the hotel you just talk to people, get photos taken and stuff like that. you usually have aa meal (the food is never great) and they do awards. people then usually go out somewhere after.
dk covid happened so we didn't have prom whilst other schools rearranged theirs but ours didn't unfortunately oh well
Original post by gracieee16
dk covid happened so we didn't have prom whilst other schools rearranged theirs but ours didn't unfortunately oh well

that sucks. my school arranged last years twice lmao, ended up having it in september instead of june/july
Original post by z-u-l-u
in the hotel you just talk to people, get photos taken and stuff like that. you usually have aa meal (the food is never great) and they do awards. people then usually go out somewhere after.

awards for what? our school rents out a hall rather than a hotel but im assuming the same thing will happen
there'll probably be food/a meal of some sort
people wear nice clothes
people will get photos taken
there might be music/dancing, awards, speeches depends on the school/who organises it!
I'd say it's quite a nice thing to go to, as it's a celebration of the end of school and exams, and possibly the last time you'll see some of your classmates :smile:
Reply 6
It depend if you like this sort of social gathering and/or have someone decent to go with. It will tend to be dominated by the attractive set alpha personality folk. I skipped it and in hindsight have no regret
Reply 7
Original post by pr1ncesskenny
awards for what? our school rents out a hall rather than a hotel but im assuming the same thing will happen

like for ours the formal committee made a list of different awards and we all voted. our schools don't organise them so some of them weren't that... tasteful. but like biggest suck up, biggest chav etc. never been to a year 11 one though so might be different.
Original post by pr1ncesskenny
in year 11, everyone's talking about prom and i'm trying to figure out whether or not i want to go. ive heard people say its boring, and i wouldnt know what to wear.

It's what used to be known as an end-of-term disco. Boys down one side, girls down the other... It just has been Americanised now, and costs you/your parents much more money and more of a fuss about it is made. In the end though, it's just the same old slightly rubbish end-of-term party.
It's not fully Americanized if u don't hook up with ur date afterwards :tongue:
Reply 10
Not worth it, proms are completely overrated and overhyped
Nothing important
I wouldn't say mine was boring, but it's probably overhyped. It's a nice final event to see everyone you've spent the last few years with, but pretty expensive (mine cost £38 in 2017 iirc, plus the cost of a suit etc).
Original post by candydiva
It's not fully Americanized if u don't hook up with ur date afterwards :tongue:

haha :smile:
I remember mine being pretty good; basically a chill evening in the garden of a nice country house. Rocked up in a hummer limo which when you're 15 is pretty darn cool.
Original post by Reality Check
haha :smile:

Yeah master took me back to his hotel after the event...unlike most other graduates I wasn't angsting about "will I get to do it?" "will it be good?" "who will know about it?" etc etc.
Idk but either way I'm not going lmao
(edited 2 years ago)
My Year 11 prom was so boring and underwhelming. There was so much hype but on the day it was such a let down.
But i'm still glad I went because it was one of those once in a lifetime opportunities.
hook ups
If you're wondering whether or not you should go, it shows you're unenthusiastic. Prom is a social event ofc so if you've got a nice group of friends (or a date) to go with it would be more enjoyable.

Quick Reply

Latest