The Student Room Group

Could I get into a russel groups via clearing with exceptional grades

My predicted grades are ABC, I was wondering if in the scenario I achieved A*AA or A*AB or higher, how plausible it would be to get a law degree through clearing at a Russel group
Reply 1
highly unlikely, better if you take a gap year and apply for 2023 entry
Perfectly possible honestly I know so many friends who were predicted really low grades last year and then ended up getting AAA or A*AA and now are at prestigious universities some of which are Russel group. Don’t give up you’ve got this 💪
Original post by Anakii
My predicted grades are ABC, I was wondering if in the scenario I achieved A*AA or A*AB or higher, how plausible it would be to get a law degree through clearing at a Russel group

It's definitely plausible that there will be RG or other good unis in Clearing even for Law. At this stage you should just choose the best unis you can get offers from and then on results day you will know where you stand with achieved grades. Then you can make a choice between accepting an offer you hold, phoning other unis with vacancies to see if you can switch unis or take a year out to reapply to "better" unis next year assuming you do achieve A*AA/A*AB
Law at RG is exceptionally competitive and usually Uni will take 'near miss' who are already holding offers to fill any spaces.
RG Unis don't like being in Clearing - especially for a flagship course like Law.

If you do get grades like that - drop your UCAS application for this year and reapply to 5 RG next year.
Original post by McGinger
Law at RG is exceptionally competitive and usually Uni will take 'near miss' who are already holding offers to fill any spaces.
RG Unis don't like being in Clearing - especially for a flagship course like Law.

If you do get grades like that - drop your UCAS application for this year and reapply to 5 RG next year.

Nevertheless a small number of RG unis are in Clearing every year. Even last year with the overinflated TAGs, Sheffield had vacancies at AAA and Exeter had vacancies for LLB Law with Business at their Penryn campus) so it is feasible to think at least some will be in Clearing again this year with exams almost definitely going ahead. Though OP would obviously have more options if they deferred for a year, not everyone wants to do that.
In a normal year, you could probably get into a RG course via Clearing, yes. Whether it would be a bottom of the list one is another matter.

Problem being is we don't really know whether this will be a normal year. So the answer is the same as any other Clearing availability question, IE possibly.

NB. As many have said, decent Law courses will close in Jan, much less get to the point of Clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending