The Student Room Group

Job insight: HO + O Compliance Caseworker, Campaigns and Projects

Any insights on this role from current or past employees - believe it to be in Tax

Can someone without experience apply for HO or should they start at O?
What is the working day like? What are the tasks and duties?
Is it phone based?
Complexity of the job?
Any further insight?

I appreciate anyone that responds and I know there are numerous posts on this particular role but they all seem to have be hijacked by people discussing the wait times after their interview.
Thanks
I'm due to start soon as an O Caseworker. I'm interested in knowing this too!
Reply 2
Original post by sadi109

I’m interested too
Original post by forgotten_woes
Any insights on this role from current or past employees - believe it to be in Tax

Can someone without experience apply for HO or should they start at O?
What is the working day like? What are the tasks and duties?
Is it phone based?
Complexity of the job?
Any further insight?

I appreciate anyone that responds and I know there are numerous posts on this particular role but they all seem to have be hijacked by people discussing the wait times after their interview.
Thanks

Hi, it depends on the business area you'll be allocated to. Some are desk based others a combination of desk work and interventions. You will speak to the customers as well but no cold calling. Ideally, you should start as a band O but if you go through the recruitment process for HO you should be capable of handling HO work. Training and support is offered so don't worry too much. People in HMRC are nice.
Original post by sadi109

What was the interview like mate and what were your SJT score like? Ive applied too but not had an interview yet
Reply 5
Original post by Taxgirl18
Hi, it depends on the business area you'll be allocated to. Some are desk based others a combination of desk work and interventions. You will speak to the customers as well but no cold calling. Ideally, you should start as a band O but if you go through the recruitment process for HO you should be capable of handling HO work. Training and support is offered so don't worry too much. People in HMRC are nice.

I’ve been offered an O position, are there opportunities to progress to the HO position? Or higher positions?
Original post by MJ77
I’ve been offered an O position, are there opportunities to progress to the HO position? Or higher positions?

Hi, there are always opportunities to progress and you'll get all the support if this is what you want to achieve. Ultimately, it lies with you getting to the next level. Congratulations for your job offer!
Reply 7
My brother interviewed for EO compliance in 2019 and got put on reserve list.

Didn't hear anything for 9 months. Then they asked for IDs and once he submitted them within a week they offered him a position.

I don't know if it has changed because now it seems they ask everyone on reserve list for IDs. What do you think?
Reply 8
Hi, there are always opportunities to progress and you'll get all the support if this is what you want to achieve. Ultimately, it lies with you getting to the next level. Congratulations for your job offer!

There always opportunities to progress within HMRC. Customer Compliance Group are always recruiting staff at all grades. As it always up to the individual person if they want to progress.
Reply 9

Hi,

I recently applied for this role but a HEO role. Can you please confirm what you mean by calling customers? Is this a role somewhat similar to Customer Service?
Reply 10
Original post by SLT15
Hi,

I recently applied for this role but a HEO role. Can you please confirm what you mean by calling customers? Is this a role somewhat similar to Customer Service?

No, it's not similar to Customer Services. If you are handling a case, on some projects you might need to put your phone number on the letter so that taxpayers can discuss their case with you for example. It is nothing like call centre or customer services. The role is so varied that I couldn't even tell you what you might end up doing but one thing I can tell you is that it's not a call centre if that's what you're worried about.
Reply 11
Original post by Oleana
No, it's not similar to Customer Services. If you are handling a case, on some projects you might need to put your phone number on the letter so that taxpayers can discuss their case with you for example. It is nothing like call centre or customer services. The role is so varied that I couldn't even tell you what you might end up doing but one thing I can tell you is that it's not a call centre if that's what you're worried about.

Thank god! I was very worried about potentially moving for a customer service role. Thank you for easing my mind about the role. Would you say the role includes working with legislation/gov frameworks as this is what I expected from the role when I applied.
Reply 12
Original post by SLT15
Thank god! I was very worried about potentially moving for a customer service role. Thank you for easing my mind about the role. Would you say the role includes working with legislation/gov frameworks as this is what I expected from the role when I applied.

Hi yes you do work with leg/gov framework.
Hi all,

As some of you have been through the process of applying and getting thro the Compliance Caseworker positions at HMRC, can you please shed some light on the Situational Judgement Test? Any tips or tricks to pass the SJT? Any suggestions will be very helpful. Thank you
Reply 14
Is the HO compliance caseworker role doable on part time hours? Does it provide good work life balance especially when you have young kids to look after? I been told its full on & not doable on part time hours. I dont want to waste my time applying if i wont be able to do my job properly on part time hours.
Reply 15
Original post by Rouge33
Is the HO compliance caseworker role doable on part time hours? Does it provide good work life balance especially when you have young kids to look after? I been told its full on & not doable on part time hours. I dont want to waste my time applying if i wont be able to do my job properly on part time hours.

I’ve heard work life balance is great. I’ve just accepted a formal offer and will be doing part time. I have a 1 year old and I am currently pregnant lol I’ll come back to you in a few months and let you know how it’s going 😆
Reply 16
Original post by Beeray
I’ve heard work life balance is great. I’ve just accepted a formal offer and will be doing part time. I have a 1 year old and I am currently pregnant lol I’ll come back to you in a few months and let you know how it’s going 😆

Awww congratulations! I am in the same boat as you as i am expecting too! :smile: And i have a 3yr old. I currently do 3 days which i want to keep or reduce hours slightly. One person has said to me the role wont be manageable on part time hours but like yourself i heard work life balance is good there. Please do let me know how you get on. I really want to apply but i dont want to unbalance my life and being pregnant would they even consider me as i'll be going on mat leave in summer.
Is ho much harder than the executive officer cases? What’s the difference? Thank you

Quick Reply