The Student Room Group

subject choices

hi!
im currently in year 12 and study a levels. i take english literature, film studies and geography and I am thinking of university down the line.
i know my a lvl combination is quite a weird one and I’m just worried if my subject choices will limit me too much in terms of what courses and what unis will accept me? does anyone know what i could realistically do with these a levels if i pass with As and Bs, possibly Cs?

for context, I had mocks recently and got A*s in english and film and a B in geography. im also thinking of doing english at the university of york rn :smile:
Why not also consider Cambridge University? They only have 3 applicants per place for Geography!!! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by jammyjamina
hi!
im currently in year 12 and study a levels. i take english literature, film studies and geography and I am thinking of university down the line.
i know my a lvl combination is quite a weird one and I’m just worried if my subject choices will limit me too much in terms of what courses and what unis will accept me? does anyone know what i could realistically do with these a levels if i pass with As and Bs, possibly Cs?

for context, I had mocks recently and got A*s in english and film and a B in geography. im also thinking of doing english at the university of york rn :smile:

There are many courses and universities that accept those grades, and there is UCAS Clearing as a last resort. If one of the courses that you are interested is in English, I don't see why your subject combination would be limiting personally speaking. What kind of employment/industry/subject areas that you are fascinated by?
Original post by thegeek888
Why not also consider Cambridge University? They only have 3 applicants per place for Geography!!! :biggrin:

i think it’s the same for english too

wow, I never even thought of cambridge haha, I’ll definitely look into it! thanks!!
Reply 5

Original post by succubus666
i think it’s the same for english too

Entry requirements are A*AA, not really within OP's range yet.
wow, I never even thought of cambridge haha, I’ll definitely look into it! thanks!!

i got an offer for english at cambridge so if u need any help!
Original post by wifd149
There are many courses and universities that accept those grades, and there is UCAS Clearing as a last resort. If one of the courses that you are interested is in English, I don't see why your subject combination would be limiting personally speaking. What kind of employment/industry/subject areas that you are fascinated by?

thank you for your advice! i kinda assumed it would be limiting because of the looks that teachers have given me when I told them what subjects i do haha, in terms of stuff that I’m fascinated by, i don’t mind studying english or geography at degree lvl (english is preferred) and i guess as a career after uni, im really interested in a career in business at the moment, maybe something in the human resources sector :smile: however im pretty sure this will change because im pretty indecisive, which is why i wanna study english at uni because it is flexible from what I’ve heard online!
Reply 8
thank you for your advice! i kinda assumed it would be limiting because of the looks that teachers have given me when I told them what subjects i do haha, in terms of stuff that I’m fascinated by, i don’t mind studying english or geography at degree lvl (english is preferred) and i guess as a career after uni, im really interested in a career in business at the moment, maybe something in the human resources sector :smile: however im pretty sure this will change because im pretty indecisive, which is why i wanna study english at uni because it is flexible from what I’ve heard online!

That's nice :biggrin: Yep, English degrees are often very flexible. I'm interested in that kind of degree too, except that I'm already graduating from undergrad this; maybe next time I guess. Or I can just do short online courses on them :curious:

You can check out the universities that you are interested in, what are their modules, and how they assess students per module if you want to or free to do as such :smile:

Edit: Understandable that people can't decide on a career choice yet, it's too early and the future changes frequently. All the best mate!
(edited 2 years ago)
i got an offer for english at cambridge so if u need any help!

congratulations on your offer!! how was the application and interview process for cambridge like? and is there anything that you would recommend me to do now in terms of adding things to my personal statement? when it comes to write the personal statement, im unsure of what to generally write to show that im passionate about english other than the generic “i love to read books” kind of stance

sorry if im bombarding you with questions! im just really curious haha:smile:
Original post by wifd149
That's nice :biggrin: Yep, English degrees are often very flexible. I'm interested in that kind of degree too, except that I'm already graduating from undergrad this; maybe next time I guess. Or I can just do short online courses on them :curious:

You can check out the universities that you are interested in, what are their modules, and how they assess students per module if you want to or free to do as such :smile:

Edit: Understandable that people can't decide on a career choice yet, it's too early and the future changes frequently. All the best mate!

that’s so cool, early congratulations on graduating!! thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it :smile:

take care! <3
congratulations on your offer!! how was the application and interview process for cambridge like? and is there anything that you would recommend me to do now in terms of adding things to my personal statement? when it comes to write the personal statement, im unsure of what to generally write to show that im passionate about english other than the generic “i love to read books” kind of stance

sorry if im bombarding you with questions! im just really curious haha:smile:

haha thanks and no worries! maybe you can start this during summer when you write your personal statement. i suggest reading some academic books they don’t necessarily have to be super formal but i included a few and maybe pop to the theatre to watch a drama text you have studied being performed, that’s always nice to include. you do have to take the ELAT when applying for english at oxbridge which is the english literature admissions test but i suggest you start prepping for that in september/october or so. to show your passion start off with why english because clearly you could’ve chosen geography but you chose english! so explain your enthusiasm for the subject and what aspects of english make you want to pursue it at a degree level! i had two interviews and they were enjoyable although it may seem daunting, they can ask you absolutely anything, from your ps to the written work you submit, or even your teacher references. oh and also since you want to study english they will give you pre reading material to look over which will be discussed during the interview too!
hope this helps :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
haha thanks and no worries! maybe you can start this during summer when you write your personal statement. i suggest reading some academic books they don’t necessarily have to be super formal but i included a few and maybe pop to the theatre to watch a drama text you have studied being performed, that’s always nice to include. you do have to take the ELAT when applying for english at oxbridge which is the english literature admissions test but i suggest you start prepping for that in september/october or so. to show your passion start off with why english because clearly you could’ve chosen geography but you chose english! so explain your enthusiasm for the subject and what aspects of english make you want to pursue it at a degree level! i had two interviews and they were enjoyable although it may seem daunting, they can ask you absolutely anything, from your ps to the written work you submit, or even your teacher references. oh and also since you want to study english they will give you pre reading material to look over which will be discussed during the interview too!
hope this helps :smile:

thank you so much!! it helps a ton, i really appreciate it! definitely will follow your advice and consider applying to cambridge :smile:
thank you so much!! it helps a ton, i really appreciate it! definitely will follow your advice and consider applying to cambridge :smile:

yes of course! in year 12 i wouldve never expected for me to actually apply and end up getting an offer! anything is possible :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest