The Student Room Group

My UCAS Personal Statement and plagiarism?

I've just sent off my UCAS application, and obviously my personal statement, I read about hundred other personal statements before I wrote my own, and I used a lot of phrases they used, nothing copied and pasted, but thinking back, I phrased something as they did. It's made me really paranoid now, I worked so hard on it and I don't want to get accused of plagiarism just because I worded something they did. I do think I will get accused and when will be notified if I have. Additionally, I used various plagiarism checker to see if I've plagiarized and some say it's 100% unique content while others says anything ranging from 95 to 98%. Please help me. I put so much time and effort into writing my PS and I don't want to get 5 out of 5 rejections. Should I just withdraw my application? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
(edited 2 years ago)
You can look at the UCAS plagiarism checker on you application dashboard on the web app, if there is no plagiarism then it will be blank.
Reply 2
Original post by Sania9518
I've just sent off my UCAS application, and obviously my personal statement, I read about hundred other personal statements before I wrote my own, and I used a lot of phrases they used, nothing copied and pasted, but thinking back, I phrased something as they did. It's made me really paranoid now, I worked so hard on it and I don't want to get accused of plagiarism just because I worded something they did. I do think I will get accused and when will be notified if I have. Additionally, I used various plagiarism checker to see if I've plagiarized and some say it's 100% unique content while others says anything ranging from 95 to 98%. Please help me. I put so much time and effort into writing my PS and I don't want to get 5 out of 5 rejections. Should I just withdraw my application? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Bump
Reply 3

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Reply 4

Bump
Did you take the advice you have already been given in this thread? What was the result?

Hi there.

I believe UCAS has a 30% plagiarism threshold before it's flagged to you and your unis as plagiarism. I think you shouldn't withdraw your application until UCAS do/don't notify you about this.

Good luck.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Thank you for all your replies. I just hope I don't get an outright rejection because I used similar phrases or words as other applicants. UCAS might flag as plagiarism but there's nothing I can do about it. My application's being processed so it's just a waiting game now.
Reply 8

Bump
Reply 9
Should I contact UCAS and find out what's going on?
Reply 10
Original post by Dylan8421
You can look at the UCAS plagiarism checker on you application dashboard on the web app, if there is no plagiarism then it will be blank.

How can I check if I've plagiarized or not?
Reply 11

Bump
Reply 12
How does UCAS pick up plagiarism??
How does UCAS pick up plagiarism??

I don't think anyone on here would know. Just be patient and wait for a response from them, I do understand your concerns however your thread has been answered so there's no point in bumping your thread multiple times a day.
(edited 2 years ago)
How can I check if I've plagiarized or not?

How to do that? What is the web called?
Original post by Dylan8421
Hi, is there any update? I am in the same situation with you rn
Original post by Belleeeparty
How to do that? What is the web called?

There’s a plagiarism section in UCAS hub. Any updates will be there.

As above, there’s a big % leeway allowed before the matter is referred to your choices.

UCAS also discounts common phrases so unless you have actually copied someone, there’s basically no chance of it incorrectly getting flagged. The thread starter will have been fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending