The Student Room Group

How badly will this damage my application

I know this might sound like I'm being dumb or ungrateful but genuine question -
My predicted A levels are A*A*A - However my A is in history and I am applying for history
My GCSES are - 5 9's and 5 8's
Will the fact that I do not have an A* in history damage my chances to get into my chosen unis which are UCL LSE Durham Edinburgh St Andrews?
Durham I am applying for liberal arts so hopefully it won't hold as much weight there.
Edit: Requirements are all AAA apart from Durham which is A*AA
(edited 2 years ago)
Go look at the entry requirements for those unis and then you’ll have ur answer
Original post by hxshm
I know this might sound like I'm being dumb or ungrateful but genuine question -
My predicted A levels are A*A*A - However my A is in history and I am applying for history
Will the fact that I do not have an A* in history damage my chances to get into my chosen unis which are UCL LSE Durham Edinburgh St Andrews?
Durham I am applying for liberal arts so hopefully it won't hold as much weight there.

Hi there.

So long as you meet the entry criteria for history at those unis you should be fine.

All the best.
Original post by hxshm

Unless the Uni was specifically asking for A* in the relevant subject, then being predicted an A rather than an A* is going to make little or no difference at all. Don’t overthink it :smile:
Original post by hxshm

Hi! Sorry it’s a bit late, I have the exact same a level predictions as you with an A in history. I got an offer from Oxford this month, so I don’t see why it should negatively impact on your application! I think you should be fine :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by bethwinfield
Hi! Sorry it’s a bit late, I have the exact same a level predictions as you with an A in history. I got an offer from Oxford this month, so I don’t see why it should negatively impact on your application! I think you should be fine :smile:

Congrats on the offer! I really wanted to do oxbridge but thing is I go to a private school and so I basically needed an A* in history to stand a chance due to quotas. Most of my friends that applied history had A*A*A* (one had A*A*A*A*) and all but one got rejected.
Thinking of applying next year with achieved grades since potentially my background would not matter as much then
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hxshm
Congrats on the offer! I really wanted to do oxbridge but thing is I go to a private school and so I basically needed an A* in history to stand a chance due to quotas.

There is no such thing as 'quotas' from independent schools. Where in earth did you get this from?!
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
There is no such thing as 'quotas' from independent schools. Where in earth did you get this from?!

Independent school kids are the real victims here
Original post by gjd800

I was thinking about having a bit of a whip round, actually.
Original post by gjd800

Absolute rubbish - there are FAR more students from Private schools at Oxbridge than the proportion in their Sixth Forms.
Original post by Muttley79
Absolute rubbish - there are FAR more students from Private schools at Oxbridge than the proportion in their Sixth Forms.

(he's taking the piss...)
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79

Hahaha

Re-read what I wrote, but in slow.
Reply 12
I was thinking about having a bit of a whip round, actually.

I'll divert some tiramisu and prosecco
Original post by gjd800
I'll divert some tiramisu and prosecco

I think I've got some organic quinoa in the pantry which went off last month. I'm sure Mrs RC can spare it.

I've been told that some independent schools whose headteachers are most active within the HMC do have an unofficial quota policy for Oxbridge applicants.
Where they will not support Oxbridge applications from students that do not have an A* prediction for the undergrad subject that they are applying for or at least 3* predictions if studying 4 or more a levels.
Original post by londonmyst
I've been told that some independent schools whose headteachers are most active within the HMC do have an unofficial quota policy for Oxbridge applicants.
Where they will not support Oxbridge applications from students that do not have an A* prediction for the undergrad subject that they are applying for or at least 3* predictions if studying 4 or more a levels.

Oh, I read that as he was talking about the universities having a quota for admitting students from independent schools :smile:

Quick Reply