The Student Room Group

Department of international trade trainee scheme 2022

Thread for International Rade Graduate recruitment process 2022

Scroll to see replies

Hello :smile:

I've done terribly on the tests but somehow I passed and am now on the technical skills section with the 3 questions.

Are they expecting us to write about our reasons for applying in the STAR format? I'm not quite sure how to do that.

If there's anyone that has already completed/is currently on the scheme, would love to hear about your experience.
Hi! Congrats for passing the tests :smile: If you're not sure about the structure, or anything else for that matter, I would definitely recommend reaching out to the mailbox and/or hiring manager that is listed on the advert. They are happy to advise, as long as you are not unfairly advantaged!
I have passed the tests also, onto the next stage!
Reply 4
Original post by bluenotebook
Hello :smile:

I've done terribly on the tests but somehow I passed and am now on the technical skills section with the 3 questions.

Are they expecting us to write about our reasons for applying in the STAR format? I'm not quite sure how to do that.

If there's anyone that has already completed/is currently on the scheme, would love to hear about your experience.

Congratulations. What are the questions like? whether you apply STAR technique or not depends on the questions.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Rdavis11
Congratulations. What are the questions like? whether you apply STAR technique or not depends on the questions.

They asked for the STAR format so I definitely think its best to try and fulfil that.
Reply 6
How did everyone get on with their score?
Reply 7
Original post by tommy_97
How did everyone get on with their score?

Told me I did 79% better than other applicants. Not too sure what that means though
Reply 8
Original post by Hello34
Told me I did 79% better than other applicants. Not too sure what that means though

Congrats! Sounds like a great score. Now we just have to wait and see if we get through to the video interviews
Reply 9
what sort of things did you guys have on your CV? I'm applying to the traineehsip. no exp just have studied a level english lit, sociology and philo
Congrats! Sounds like a great score. Now we just have to wait and see if we get through to the video interviews

Thanks.

Literally just handed mine in, and this is single-handedly the longest application I have ever written :indiff: Lets us what happens. Good luck
Original post by ohemaax
what sort of things did you guys have on your CV? I'm applying to the traineehsip. no exp just have studied a level english lit, sociology and philo

I tried to relate the majority of my CV to the success profiles and behaviours (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles) that the civil service say they look for over qualifications and experience.

If its anything like the DIT process we were told the CV is not assessed just used for information purposes, and to focus more on the technical questions.
Original post by Hello34
Thanks.

Literally just handed mine in, and this is single-handedly the longest application I have ever written :indiff: Lets us what happens. Good luck

Can agree with that, I'm not used to writing many 750 word essays just to be considered to be interviewed haha. Just out of interest now the job offer has closed what did you focus on for the challenges of the job. Did you focus on the role in the job description, or the international trade sector and issues you'll face internationally? I tried to incorporate both into my answer but unsure if that was the correct way to go about it.
Reply 13
Can agree with that, I'm not used to writing many 750 word essays just to be considered to be interviewed haha. Just out of interest now the job offer has closed what did you focus on for the challenges of the job. Did you focus on the role in the job description, or the international trade sector and issues you'll face internationally? I tried to incorporate both into my answer but unsure if that was the correct way to go about it.

Hi,

How did everyone try to answer the 3 technical questions? It said to use the STAR method, but I found this very difficult because they were not behaviour/competency type questions. Did people try to give an example or how did you answer? I tried to use a blend.
Original post by Zeeko1
Hi,

How did everyone try to answer the 3 technical questions? It said to use the STAR method, but I found this very difficult because they were not behaviour/competency type questions. Did people try to give an example or how did you answer? I tried to use a blend.

For the first question I didn't really use it, but for the second two questions I merged the STAR method whilst also relating to the listed behaviour traits they listed. But I agree that it was confusing to apply as talking about previous skills/competencies used in the past seemed to contradict the questions asking about the future

I said getting accustomed to the work and terminology, but in my final paragraph wrote about how, regardless of the challenges I'll make a great asset in the UK and internationally. So , I basically did what you did, I tried to incorporate both
Reply 16
For the first question I didn't really use it, but for the second two questions I merged the STAR method whilst also relating to the listed behaviour traits they listed. But I agree that it was confusing to apply as talking about previous skills/competencies used in the past seemed to contradict the questions asking about the future

Right I see, so you gave 2 examples of something that has been challenging and a time where you had to juggle deadlines?
Reply 17
Let us know if/when you hear anything from them
I submitted my additional questions on the 31/01 (just as an update - I have not heard anything else)
What type of scores did you all get on the test? I got a pretty mediocre score but managed to pass and am awaiting a response to the competency questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending