The Student Room Group

Cupcake12's Wellbeing Blog

Hi, I'm Cupcakes12 and I hope that starting this little wellbeing blog - which I intend to update weekly - will help hold me accountable and hopefully I will stick to my new year's resolutions all year. I want to try and stick to them and make them all into new habits. I feel like this could end up being particularly important because later on this year I will be moving away to uni and have to adjust to all that.

My targets:
1. Exercise more.
2. Reduce my screen time on my phone.
3. Read more often.
They are quite vague, however I think that makes them easier to stick to.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Week 1
01/01/22
6 hours 37 minutes screen time

02/01/22
5 hours 44 minutes screen time

03/01/22
3 hours 40 minutes screen time

04/01/22
5 hours 15 minutes screen time

05/01/22
6 hours 1 minute screen time

06/01/22
8 hours 25 minutes screen time

07/01/22
3 hours 53 minutes screen time

Summary
Screen time:
Total screen time - 39 hours 35 minutes
Average screen time - 5 hours 40 minutes
Overall this is not very good, however it should make it quite easy to improve upon. I figured out how to set time limits for the apps which I waste time on (Instagram and YouTube mostly) so hopefully this will be significantly lower next week. In the end I want to get to the point where I am not relying on time limits telling me to stop me wasting my time on these apps and on my phone in general.

Reading:
I didn't read anything for enjoyment this week. I blame that on exams and reading textbooks/revision guides too much. I have been listening to my Harry Potter audio book though.

Exercise:
I didn't go out and do any exercise this week either, I barely left the house apart from to go to school. Whoops.
(edited 2 years ago)
Following! Good luck :biggrin:

Original post by Cupcakes12
Week 1
01/01/22
6 hours 37 minutes screen time

02/01/22
5 hours 44 minutes screen time

03/01/22
3 hours 40 minutes screen time

04/01/22
5 hours 15 minutes screen time

05/01/22
6 hours 1 minute screen time

06/01/22
8 hours 25 minutes screen time

07/01/22
3 hours 53 minutes screen time

Summary
Screen time:
Total screen time - 39 hours 35 minutes
Average screen time - 5 hours 40 minutes
Overall this is not very good, however it should make it quite easy to improve upon. I figured out how to set time limits for the apps which I waste time on (Instagram and YouTube mostly) so hopefully this will be significantly lower next week. In the end I want to get to the point where I am not relying on time limits telling me to stop me wasting my time on these apps and on my phone in general.

Reading:
I didn't read anything for enjoyment this week. I blame that on exams and reading textbooks/revision guides too much. I have been listening to my Harry Potter audio book though.

Exercise:
I didn't go out and do any exercise this week either, I barely left the house apart from to go to school. Whoops.

There were certainly days with lower screen time, so you can do it, good luck! :yep:

I find reading (foe enjoyment) quite difficult too. I might try audiobooks!

I hope you are able to slowly increase the reading and exercise soon :woo:
Reply 3
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Following! Good luck :biggrin:

There were certainly days with lower screen time, so you can do it, good luck! :yep:

I find reading (foe enjoyment) quite difficult too. I might try audiobooks!

I hope you are able to slowly increase the reading and exercise soon :woo:

Thank you! This week already seems to be going better which I'm happy about.
Reply 4
Week 2
08/01/22
2 hours 22 minutes screen time
22 pages of my book read

09/01/22
3 hours 43 minutes screen time - I did also watch a fair bit of Youtube on my laptop as well which doesn't count towards my phone screen time.
2 pages of my book read
52 minute bike ride - 16.58km, 19.2km/h

10/01/22
3 hours 2 minutes screen time

11/01/22
5 hours 39 minutes screen time - I kept ignoring the reminder telling me to get off YouTube because I felt like I earnt it after mocks

12/01/22
4 hours 30 minutes screen time

13/01/22
1 hour 19 minutes screen time

14/01/22
3 hours 42 minutes screen time
6 pages of my book read

Summary
Screen time:
Total screen time - 24 hours 17 minutes
Average screen time - 3 hours 28 minutes
Total time on Instagram and YouTube - 13 hours 1 minute
The problem is I ignore the reminders alot or I listen to them and then feel tempted to go and watch YouTube or other TV on my laptop.

Reading:
Total pages read - 30
Currently I'm reading Mathematics A Very Short Introduction by Timothy Gowers which I actually got free when I went on an offer holder day. I'm quite enjoying it and it's not too difficult to read.
I finally finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (which I have been listening to since September or October) and now I might start Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (my favourite).

Exercise:
I went on a bike ride with my dad, and it was hard work. I am so unfit compared to how I was in about August/September last year. I am trying to get at least as good as I was then, but we'll see how it goes. I maybe also want to try doing some indoor workout videos, but I don't know when I'd fit that into my week. If anyone has any recommendations for workout videos for beginners that would be appreciated.
Reply 5
Week 3
15/01/22
3 hours 6 minutes screen time
5 pages of my book read

16/01/22
1 hour 59 minutes screen time
17 pages of my book read

17/01/22
4 hours 39 minutes screen time

18/01/22
4 hours 48 minutes screen time
23 pages of my book read - this would be a good thing had I not been reading at 4am because I couldn't sleep, but it did work to send me back to sleep after a while

19/01/22
2 hours 21 minutes screen time

20/01/22
3 hours 35 minutes screen time

21/01/22
6 hours 8 minutes screen time - this is bad 😬

Summary
Screen time:
Total screen time - 26 hours 36 minutes, so not as good as last week but still better than week 1
Average screen time - 3 hours 48 minutes
Total time on Instagram and YouTube - 7 hours 49 minutes which is an improvement on last week

Reading:
Total pages read - 45, this is pretty good but I want to try and read a bit more every day instead of just on the weekends like it seems to be at the moment
I started reading Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline (I haven't finished the other book yet but sometimes I just like to mix things up) and it's quite good so far, don't think it'll every live up to the 1st one tho ngl
I also started the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince audiobook this week, I haven't even got to the end of disc 1 yet 🥲

Exercise:
I did none this week unfortunately 😭
Reply 6
Week 4
22/01/22
4 hours 17 minutes screen time
23 pages of my book read - finished my maths book!
31 pages of another book read

23/01/22
1 hour 41 minutes screen time
21 pages of my book read
56 minute bike ride - 16.58km, 17.7km/h

24/01/22
3 hours 31 minutes screen time
18 pages of my book read

25/01/22
3 hours 32 minutes screen time
10 pages of my book read

26/01/22
1 hour 49 minutes screen time

27/01/22
2 hours 31 minutes screen time
10 pages of my book read

28/01/22
4 hours 5 minutes screen time
4 pages of my book read
54 minute bike ride - 17.12km, 19.0km/h

Summary
Screen time:
Total screen time - 21 hours 26 minutes
Average screen time - 3 hours 4 minutes
Total time on Instagram and YouTube - 6 hours 34 minutes
Yay! I feel like this is a real improvement. :smile:

Reading:
Total pages read - 94
I finished my little maths book. I really enjoyed it, now it's finished I've started one by Eugenia Chang. It's one of the ones I got for Christmas or my birthday. I'm also going to restrict myself reading only 1 fiction book, 1 non-fiction book and 1 audio book at a time so I don't get halfway through a book and then forget about it.
I've done loads of reading this week, and it's been sort of evenly spread throughout the week too, which is also fantastic! :biggrin:

Exercise:
I did a bike ride on Sunday. It was the same route as 2 weeks ago but a bit slower, however I'm not bothered about that, I'm just quite proud that I actually went out again. Me and my mum and dad want to take part in a big charity bike ride in the summer some time, my mum was on about making a training plan for it because it's 60 miles, so watch this space I guess. My second bike ride was faster than the one on Sunday, I am very happy that I've managed to do some decent exercise twice this week.

Spoiler

I cannot believe it is already almost the end of January :eek: where has the month gone!
Week 4
22/01/22
4 hours 17 minutes screen time
23 pages of my book read - finished my maths book!
31 pages of another book read

23/01/22
1 hour 41 minutes screen time
21 pages of my book read
56 minute bike ride - 16.58km, 17.7km/h

24/01/22
3 hours 31 minutes screen time
18 pages of my book read

25/01/22
3 hours 32 minutes screen time
10 pages of my book read

26/01/22
1 hour 49 minutes screen time

27/01/22
10 pages of my book read

28/01/22
4 hours 5 minutes screen time
4 pages of my book read
54 minute bike ride - 17.12km, 19.0km/h

Summary
Screen time:
Total screen time - 21 hours 26 minutes
Average screen time - 3 hours 4 minutes
Total time on Instagram and YouTube - 6 hours 34 minutes
Yay! I feel like this is a real improvement. :smile:

Reading:
Total pages read - 94
I finished my little maths book. I really enjoyed it, now it's finished I've started one by Eugenia Chang. It's one of the ones I got for Christmas or my birthday. I'm also going to restrict myself reading only 1 fiction book, 1 non-fiction book and 1 audio book at a time so I don't get halfway through a book and then forget about it.
I've done loads of reading this week, and it's been sort of evenly spread throughout the week too, which is also fantastic! :biggrin:

Exercise:
I did a bike ride on Sunday. It was the same route as 2 weeks ago but a bit slower, however I'm not bothered about that, I'm just quite proud that I actually went out again. Me and my mum and dad want to take part in a big charity bike ride in the summer some time, my mum was on about making a training plan for it because it's 60 miles, so watch this space I guess. My second bike ride was faster than the one on Sunday, I am very happy that I've managed to do some decent exercise twice this week.

Spoiler

I cannot believe it is already almost the end of January :eek: where has the month gone!

Well done on reducing screen time that's great! Also on reading and exercise! 60 miles, blimey, I hope the training goes well!

I know, last day of Jan today, what?? :eek:
Reply 8
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Well done on reducing screen time that's great! Also on reading and exercise! 60 miles, blimey, I hope the training goes well!

I know, last day of Jan today, what?? :eek:

Lol the 60 miles seems ridiculous right now, but last summer I was quite fit and I did a bike ride which was 45 miles ish. We have a 20 mile circular bike ride near where we live which I kinda want to do a double loop of in a day in half term, obviously this is super dependant on the weather because it's quite along time to be outside in the cold.

I am super proud of myself for reducing the screen time so far, I do need to be careful as some days I just really slack off tho.
Reply 9
Week 5
29/01/22
2 hours 18 minutes screen time

30/01/22
1 hour 36 minutes screen time
13 pages read

31/01/22
4 hours 16 minutes screen time - alot of this was reading about the cast of Line of Duty on Wikipedia for far too long because that is a side effect of whenever I decide to start watching a new TV show.
12 pages read - this was non-fiction, the rest of this week was all Ready Player Two

01/02/22
2 hours 44 minutes screen time

02/02/22
1 hour 34 minutes screen time
33 pages read

03/02/22
5 hours 8 minutes screen time - because I watched 4 episodes of Line of Duty 🤦 I need to stop.

04/02/22
4 hours 14 minutes screen time
9 pages read

Summary
Screen time:
Total screen time - 21 hours 50 minutes
Average screen time - 3 hours 7 minutes
Total time on Instagram and YouTube - 3 hours 21 minutes
I really had my ups and downs this week, with some good days and some which were pretty terrible. On Thursday I watched 4 episodes of Line of Duty 😬 which certainly contributed to the such massive amount of time on my phone. I may need to start putting a time limit on BBC iPlayer. My target for now is to get my average screen time under 3 hours per day (21 hours per week in total).

Reading:
Total pages read - 67
This is good, I'm just about 1/2 way through Ready Player Two now.

Exercise:
None this week 😢 so I really need to get in motion a good exercise routine.

Now I've survived the whole of January, expect to see a fabulous January review at some point in the near future 👀.
(edited 2 years ago)
Week 5
29/01/22
2 hours 18 minutes screen time

30/01/22
1 hour 36 minutes screen time
13 pages read

31/01/22
4 hours 16 minutes screen time - alot of this was reading about the cast of Line of Duty on Wikipedia for far too long because that is a side effect of whenever I decide to start watching a new TV show.
12 pages read - this was non-fiction, the rest of this week was all Ready Player Two

01/02/22
2 hours 44 minutes screen time

02/02/22
1 hour 34 minutes screen time
33 pages read

03/02/22
5 hours 8 minutes screen time - because I watched 4 episodes of Line of Duty 🤦 I need to stop.

04/02/22
4 hours 14 minutes screen time
9 pages read

Summary
Screen time:
Total screen time - 21 hours 50 minutes
Average screen time - 3 hours 7 minutes
Total time on Instagram and YouTube - 3 hours 21 minutes
I really had my ups and downs this week, with some good days and some which were pretty terrible. On Thursday I watched 4 episodes of Line of Duty 😬 which certainly contributed to the such massive amount of time on my phone. I may need to start putting a time limit on BBC iPlayer. My target for now is to get my average screen time under 3 hours per day (21 hours per week in total).

Reading:
Total pages read - 67
This is good, I'm just about 1/2 way through Ready Player Two now.

Exercise:
None this week 😢 so I really need to get in motion a good exercise routine.

Now I've survived the whole of January, expect to see a fabulous January review at some point in the near future 👀.

Good plan re the screen time! Well done on the reading :biggrin:

Ooh looking forward to a Jan review :woo:
January Review
Screen time:
January screen time.png
My aim for February is to reduce my average screen time to under 3 hours per day.

Reading:
Screenshot 2022-02-11 192821.png
I'm aiming to read over 200 pages in February, which should definitely be doable. That's still not a whole book though.

Exercise:
3 bike rides this month. I know I can do better, especially if I am training for a big bike ride.

Spoiler

January Review
Screen time:
January screen time.png
My aim for February is to reduce my average screen time to under 3 hours per day.

Reading:
Screenshot 2022-02-11 192821.png
I'm aiming to read over 200 pages in February, which should definitely be doable. That's still not a whole book though.

Exercise:
3 bike rides this month. I know I can do better, especially if I am training for a big bike ride.

Spoiler

Ooh I'm loving the graph and all the stats :woo: keep going with it :dumbells:
Week 6
05/02/22
2 hours 25 minutes screen time

06/02/22
3 hours 50 minutes screen time
13 pages read

07/02/22
2 hours 46 minutes screen time
10 pages read

08/02/22
5 pages read

09/02/22
4 hours 46 minutes screen time

10/02/22
2 hours 10 minutes screen time

11/02/22
2 hours 14 minutes screen time - I am especially proud of this because I was at home ill all day and could've spent hours on my phone but I didn't (I was mostly just watching some tv on my laptop and sleeping tho loool)
25 pages read

Summary
Screen time:
Total screen time - 20 hours 42 minutes
Average screen time - 2 hours 57 minutes - under 3 hours a day!!!!!
Total time on Instagram, YouTube and BBC iPlayer - 8 hours 51 minutes (I've decided to add iPlayer into this category because it's also quite unproductive even tho it feels less like wasting time than Instagram and Youtube)

Reading:
Total pages read - 53

Exercise:
Still really failing at exercise - this has got to be my priority tbh.

I'm really not fussed with how this week has gone, as I've been quite stressed and ended the week being ill (probably with covid despite my negative lateral flows cos my parents have it).
Week 7
12/02/22
1 hour 57 minutes screen time
551 steps - honestly I think that's an overestimate because I was in bed for 80% of the day

13/02/22
1 hour 19 minutes screen time
1220 steps

14/02/22
2 hours 1 minute screen time
10 pages read
1276 steps

15/02/22
2 hours 9 minutes screen time
75 pages read
1488 steps

16/02/22
1 hour 44 minutes screen time
948 steps

17/02/22
1 hour 25 minutes screen time
899 steps

18/02/22
1 hour 40 minutes screen time
16 pages read
951 steps

Summary
Screen time:
Total screen time - 12 hours 15 minutes
Average screen time - 1 hour 45 minutes
Total time on Instagram, BBC iPlayer and YouTube - 5 hours 6 minutes
This is unusually low, that's because I spent alot more time on my computer and watching tv because I was at home all the time, rather than just being on my phone.

Reading:
Total pages read - 101
I've done pretty well with this, it's probably an advantage that I've been ill and it's been half term so I've had more time and also not felt like doing much.

Exercise:
I've decided to also start keeping a record of the number of steps I do in a day, cos that's also exercise and then I can maybe feel less bad about the fact I haven't been working out. This week steps are particularly low because I didn't leave the house at all. However I have a valid excuse because I was ill and spent a few days in bed.

This is a bit of a late update considering it is nearly the end of week 8, however I'm just rolling with it cos I've been super busy lately.
Week 8
19/02/22
2 hours 16 minutes screen time
1336 steps

20/02/22
1 hour 57 minutes screen time
22 pages read
2401 steps

21/02/22
2 hours 38 minutes screen time
51 pages read
7268 steps

22/02/22
3 hours 26 minutes screen time
6280 steps

23/02/22
2 hours 30 minutes screen time
64 pages read
6898 steps

24/02/22
2 hours 59 minutes screen time
66 pages read
5502 steps

25/02/22
4 hours 12 minutes screen time
5364 steps

Summary
Screen time:
Total screen time - 19 hours 58 minutes
Average screen time - 2 hours 51 minutes
Total time on Instagram, BBC iPlayer and YouTube - 7 hours 22 minutes, averageing over an hour per day.
I am impressed that this still managed to be under 3 hours per day screen time on average, because it felt like a pretty bad week in terms of screen time.

Reading:
Total pages read - 203
This was a very good week for reading.
I finished Ready Player Two. It was a really good book, not as good as the first one however I still really enjoyed it alot and would recommend it if you are a fan of the 1st book.
I also started When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit, which is a kids book by Judith Kerr who wrote The Tiger Who Came To Tea. It's quite a sad book, because it is about a girl whose childhood is stolen from her fleeing Nazi Germany in the 1930s. It's nice and easy to read which is great.

Exercise:
Total steps - 35049
Average steps - 5007
I think it's funny you can totally see which are school days based on the amount of steps I do.
I didn't do any proper workouts this week though.

Another significantly overdue update, I am working on doing a February overview - I can't believe fast this month's gone!
Week 9
26/02/22
3 hours 24 minutes screen time
2357 steps

27/02/22
2 hours 17 minutes screen time
48 pages read
1179 steps

28/02/22
4 hours 33 minutes screen time
4898 steps

01/03/22
3 hours 48 minutes screen time
4073 steps

02/03/22
3 hours 19 minutes screen time
40 pages read
7270 steps

03/03/22
2 hours 35 minutes screen time
6217 steps

04/03/22
2 hours 9 minutes screen time
3373 steps

Summary
Screen time:
Total screen time - 22 hours 5 minutes
Average screen time - 3 hours 9 minutes
Total time on Instagram, BBC iPlayer and YouTube - 9 hours 19 minutes - this is quite high because I started watching TV nearly every day on the bus again, which is actually great because it makes my bus time super relaxing and I'm not wasting revision time.
Unfortunately I've slipped above my target of staying under 3 hours, but I am going to get back on track for next week. It's the 4 and a half hours on Monday which really let me down.

Reading:
Total pages read - 88

Exercise:
Total steps - 29367
Average steps - 4195
This is a little bit lower than last week. For March, I've joined a step challenge on the Samsung health app. I don't know if it will motivate me to try and walk more, because I might end up forgetting about it, but we can only try.
February Review
Screen time:
feb screen time.png
I want to try and maintain an average of under 3 hours, which I have mostly been hitting each week. I also want to avoid having any individual days with crazy high screen time.

Reading:
feb reading.png
Absolutely smashed this target! I don't think I really realised how much I'd read tbh. My target for March is going to be to finish 3 books, because so far I've only managed to finish 1 per month, and I have a couple on the go.

Exercise:
This has been going terribly. I genuinely think I haven't done a single proper exercise in the whole month. I want to do at least 6000 steps per day (we are starting small in March because I have not been very successful). I also really need to be doing a workout at least once a week.
following!! these are some really good goals :biggrin:
impressed at how you manage such low screen time, my average is about 10 hours a day :eek:
Original post by niamhdoesmaths
following!! these are some really good goals :biggrin:
impressed at how you manage such low screen time, my average is about 10 hours a day :eek:

Thanks, I've been following your blog too and you've made so much good progress!! You can deffo tell when I've had stressful busy weeks because my screen time goes up alot (like this week lol) but I have to try and keep it at a minimum cos I generally don't have the time to sit procrastinating on my phone. Also it might be the fact I'm not allowed my phone in my bedroom overnight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending