The Student Room Group

Jehovah's Witnesses have officially ruined my LIFE...

Disclaimer: In no way am I trying to disregard religion or alter the way you personally feel about God. However, I am a strong believer in finding self worth, rather than being manipulated by doctrines or other sources that often lead to dissatisfaction, mental instability and general unhappiness in life. Though religion has helped to shape society, it has also been responsible for issues that are present. All of the things I am saying are based on previous experiences, amongst other events that I have witnessed from the organisation. Please respond in a respectful manner, as any negativity will be removed.

Hi everyone.
I am starting this thread to raise awareness of the many mental struggles I have faced as a teen raised in the Jehovah's Witnesses organisation. I am currently an adolescent who is Physically In, but Mentally Out (AKA PIMO). If you are unaware, this is a religion that has rather rigid teachings. You may be familiar with the typical behaviours of the religion i.e not partaking in public holidays, such as Christmas or Birthdays; refusing to take blood transfusions and the debatable door-to-door ministry, in which they try to recruit more members to this so-called religious group.

As outsider LOOKING IN, many are drawn to the positive representations that are shown to them through the publications, or as some prefer to call them "propaganda". The popular teaching that there will be a better future in a paradise on earth is appealing for those who may consider joining the Jehovah's Witnesses. But as an INSIDER looking OUT, I will be able to help answer any queries that you have about Jehovah's.

This is a safe space. Feel free to let your opinions be known in this forum. For those who may feel triggered or uncomfortable with this topic, allow your natural instincts to guide you in the way you would like to go. Do not feel forced to make any rash decisions, neither must you hesitate into choosing what feels right for YOU. You are not alone: there are many unstable people within the organisation who may have contributed to your mixed feelings today. Do not feel guilty.

Thankfully, in this day and age, people are becoming more independent thinkers - seeing the possibly dangerous side of this particular religion - more people are speaking out and waking up. It's time to Hinder the Hindrance. #StopTheShunning #PIMO #EXJW #WakingUp

Scroll to see replies

I hope that you will be able to build a happy and bright future. :smile:
I am not a JW, I grew up around many JWs from all over the spectrum and was taken to kingdom halls many times during my childhood.
A few friends with very strict families married as teenagers, are trapped in terribly unhappy marriages with cousins and still virgins almost eight years later.
Take care of yourself!
I am Christian. And unfortunately all my experiences with Jehovah’s Witnesses have been quite negative
I must be the only one who was willing to talk to them in my street but they were incredibly pushy, rude and dismissive. No conversation to be had. Just a lecture.
I could never be “turned”. I’m comfortable with my faith. But I am willing to talk.
The last two visits were Christmas Day and good Friday.
On Christmas Day even then I was happy to talk. But was snapped at. And at Easter I told them I was in a rush as I was heading to church. Their reply was not to bother as I would burn in hell anyway!
I have a friend who was a Catholic and brainwashed by them whilst grieving her husband. We have an agreement that we will not discuss belief. We could never agree. And how they played on her grief disgusts me.
I can only comment on my own experiences. I’m sure there are good and bad. I’m sorry that it has not been good for you and hope that you find peace. Wether in faith or not
For me now, when I see them coming I’ll do the same as my neighbours and hide!
Original post by londonmyst
I hope that you will be able to build a happy and bright future. :smile:
I am not a JW, I grew up around many JWs from all over the spectrum and was taken to kingdom halls many times during my childhood.
A few friends with very strict families married as teenagers, are trapped in terribly unhappy marriages with cousins and still virgins almost eight years later.
Take care of yourself!

Thanks for the moral support. I genuinely appreciate it. A common falsehood about the Jehovah's witnesses is that they are "living the best life ever". That is absolutely not true. They way that the religion has trained believers to think is most absurd - rather emotionally rigid. They are told to "strip off the old personality" and create a new facade for the people a. in the Congregation b. Non believers, commonly referred to as "worldly", which sounds rather degrading, for a religious group that claims to promote love, they actually show disrespect for people who dont follow their own beliefs and c. Jehovah. Its is TOO MUCH to handle, when you think about it. But with the process, it is a form of indoctrination of look at the religion as a whole combining the teachings and other information. Mental illness is common among them because of the battle with anxiety and fear of not being good enough to Jehovah. As humans, we are not perfect, yet the Jehovah's witnesses try to make humans better themselves so that they are in a better position at Armageddon, which is a WHOLE other topic for another day. It's not until this "waking up process" that most ex JW realised they have been fooled and emotionally manipulated their entire life I am just grateful to have realised this early in life, so I can well and truly lead my best life as an adult.
Original post by Sammylou40
I am Christian. And unfortunately all my experiences with Jehovah’s Witnesses have been quite negative
I must be the only one who was willing to talk to them in my street but they were incredibly pushy, rude and dismissive. No conversation to be had. Just a lecture.
I could never be “turned”. I’m comfortable with my faith. But I am willing to talk.
The last two visits were Christmas Day and good Friday.
On Christmas Day even then I was happy to talk. But was snapped at. And at Easter I told them I was in a rush as I was heading to church. Their reply was not to bother as I would burn in hell anyway!
I have a friend who was a Catholic and brainwashed by them whilst grieving her husband. We have an agreement that we will not discuss belief. We could never agree. And how they played on her grief disgusts me.
I can only comment on my own experiences. I’m sure there are good and bad. I’m sorry that it has not been good for you and hope that you find peace. Wether in faith or not
For me now, when I see them coming I’ll do the same as my neighbours and hide!

Yes, Jehovah's witnesses do not like personalities like yourself, that somewhat dismiss/question/challenge the religion. They typically aim for people who have endured hardships at some point in their life, because the promises and teachings appeal more to them. Perhaps some find happiness within religion, perhaps some dont. But what I DON'T APPRECIATE is the way they force themselves into strangers properties to try and recruit more members for the sake of Jehovahs name, which I am sure is actually their ego and pride, not so much what they deceive themselves into thinking that this "Jehovah God" is telling them. In time people will realise the actual truth, not their false representation of "The True Religion"( yet another name they give themselves). It is all false false false. Thank the universe for the internet: social media and the independent thinkers who voice their honest opinions and experiences, rather than filtering their personality for the sake of what they have fooled themselves into believing is a " religious group". It really isnt.
Original post by apostateestate
Yes, Jehovah's witnesses do not like personalities like yourself, that somewhat dismiss/question/challenge the religion. They typically aim for people who have endured hardships at some point in their life, because the promises and teachings appeal more to them. Perhaps some find happiness within religion, perhaps some dont. But what I DON'T APPRECIATE is the way they force themselves into strangers properties to try and recruit more members for the sake of Jehovahs name, which I am sure is actually their ego and pride, not so much what they deceive themselves into thinking that this "Jehovah God" is telling them. In time people will realise the actual truth, not their false representation of "The True Religion"( yet another name they give themselves). It is all false false false. Thank the universe for the internet: social media and the independent thinkers who voice their honest opinions and experiences, rather than filtering their personality for the sake of what they have fooled themselves into believing is a " religious group". It really isnt.

im a young baptized JW . and as alot of people know we read the bible and jehovah gave us direction to warn people about armagedon when armagedon comes satan will be destroyed . the bible was written thousands of yeas ago and jehovah profisied that we will be treated badly because of jehovahs name and im sorry that people have had bad expirences with some of us
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Since we don't believe in hell, I know that's a lie.
Original post by ruben99
Since we don't believe in hell, I know that's a lie.

How are you able to rebut Sammylou40's comment that some of the JW street teams and doorknockers she has spoken with over the years told her that she would "burn in hell"?
Are you her shadow and always with her 24hrs a day, every day of her life?
Or do you want to deny the fact that some people who do not have a personal belief in the existance of hell or God do use the "burn in hell"/rot in hell/go to hell phrases trying to insult or distress other individuals.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
De-programming yourself from religious indoctrination is one of the hardest things to do. Well done for starting that journey. Always listen to your rational self.

I find it incredulous given the attrition of the pandemic than anyone still believes in God
Reply 9
Yep, I should rephrase.

I can't believe anyone still believes there's a God that cares about humans and who has the power to do anything. All the evidence suggests such a God doesn't exist.
Reply 10
Original post by Saiph
Yep, I should rephrase.

I can't believe anyone still believes there's a God that cares about humans and who has the power to do anything. All the evidence suggests such a God doesn't exist.

There’s plenty of evidence that would suggest that God does exist
Original post by brjf

PRSOM
Original post by Saiph
De-programming yourself from religious indoctrination is one of the hardest things to do. Well done for starting that journey. Always listen to your rational self.

I find it incredulous given the attrition of the pandemic than anyone still believes in God

Several issues with this:

a) JW is not a religious organisation, it's a religious cult, based on academic definitions and as categorized by academics.

b) religion is not necessarily a bad thing, and being religious doesn't imply irrationality.

c) not all religions are monotheistic, or even theistic, so by phrasing this as "I find it incredulous...anybody still believes in God" (note the upper case capital you gave it) you are framing your judgement of all religions and associated culture based on a specifically western form of Christianity. You can't generalise from that one specific form of one religion to all others or the notion of religion in general.
Reply 13
Original post by londonmyst
PRSOM

The most concerning fact that scientists look at the complexity and intricacy of the universe and everything in it and just pin it on an accident
Reply 14
Original post by brjf

A God yes I'd agree. But a God that is super powerful and cares about humans? Nope. Absolutely not.
Reply 15
Original post by Saiph
A God yes I'd agree. But a God that is super powerful and cares about humans? Nope. Absolutely not.

Well then we can just agree to disagree, the evidence is all there you just have to choose whether or not you want to accept it
Reply 16
Original post by brjf
Well then we can just agree to disagree, the evidence is all there you just have to choose whether or not you want to accept it

What evidence?

We've just seen millions of people killed horribly by a virus. Surely your God was powerful enough to prevent that? So either that God is not actually powerful enough to prevent it or that God actually didn't want to prevent it and was happy for all those people to suffer horribly and die.

How about little innocent children getting cancer or other terminal illnesses?

How about innocent people being abused or tortured by others ?

The list is endless.
Hi, I’m not a JW myself but I’ve been raised in a mostly JW family. My dad is disfellowshipped, but my parents are still together, and my grandparents and mum are JWs. I haven’t had the best experience with the organisation, though the individual people I’ve met have all been very friendly, and I have friends who are JWs. Personally, I believed it until I was 10 and fully understand how easy it is to believe what they say, since there is a lot of pressure to remain a Witness if you’ve been brought up as one.

As a young, trans, queer person with mental health issues, the rigidity of the system just isn’t for me. I find it very misogynistic and unaccepting, and baptism comes with a lot of pressure, as leaving is almost impossible after that point - at least, impossible without severe repercussions. The youngest I know to have been baptised was 10 at the time, which I think is honestly insane. Adults can do what they like, but getting a 10 year old to devote her life to God doesn’t seem right to me. I understand that she would’ve undergone a lot of checks to make sure she was ready and mature enough, but even so, she’s not even a teenager. She could completely change her mind in the years to come, and lose her family because of it.

I can understand why JWs are so faithful to their religion, but personally I just can’t believe it myself. I don’t have anything to say for or against them really, because they’re lovely individuals but I do think there are some aspects of the religion that are outdated and potentially somewhat corrupt.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 18
A friend of mine, now deceased, was brought up a JW.
His father turned to alcohol after their teaching of Jesus' return in 1975 failed, many had given up jobs and houses to do full time missionary work.

"In 1966 the Watch Tower Society issued the first of what became a sequence of statements on the importance of a new date—1975—that raised the possibility of that year heralding the beginning of Christ's millennial reign and, along with it, doom for unbelievers.

According to this trustworthy Bible chronology six thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975. So six thousand years of man's existence on earth will soon be up, yes, within this generation." (source)

He got into business, quite dodgy business, and ended up basically hiding from authorities on a campsite in Australia. Someone approached him with the true gospel receiving God's Spirit, he just said "show me your publications", but eventually he saw that they had more than words . . . he ended up calling on God and becoming born again . . . as he spoke in the new language ("tongues") he described it was like the cogs in his mind were re-aligning, he was experiencing the grace of God.
(edited 2 years ago)
Why do they refuse blood transfusion? I saw a film where this happened and the girl died.

Latest

Trending

Trending