The Student Room Group

Failing year 12 and it’s only Jan

Hello,
I’m a current year 12 studying Biology,Spanish and maths. I’ve recently completed my mocks and received UDU in these subjects. I’m aware I’ve done horribly and is currently rethinking whether these subjects are right for me.

At the start of year 12 I wanted to do optometry but I’ve recently been interested in medicine and changed my mind. I would be able to get into maybe 1 or two unis with these subjects to study medicine if I do well, however it is very limited since I don’t do chemistry.
I was wondering as to whether I should redo year 12 with other subjects including chemistry and perhaps do a foundation year at uni. However if I were to do so would it still count as me doing a two year course?
My mental health is down the drain. Revision techniques I used for GCSEs arnt working but I want to do medicine so badly.
Could anyone please give me advice on what to do anything could help.
Thank you for taking the time to read this
Have a good day
Alyssa year12

Scroll to see replies

Bbz, if you're getting Us in maths and biology, you can't turn that around in the short term.

If you really want to do university, it might be an idea to quit VI Form before any exams, take some time out and do something else - get a job that will give you some time to think things over. Then go back when you're ready and you know what you want to do and have a new approach.

Be realistic - you aren't getting anywhere near medical school on your current trajectory, and thinking you can pull it out of the bag isn't realistic at all. You need at least a year, a lot of advice, a new college, different subjects if you want to do this.
Reply 2
Hi,
Firstly, Biology and Maths are tough A levels so its not a surprise that you got U's in those. As you are in Year 12, you have more mocks coming up so you should continue revising but at this rate, you have to be realistic about what you want to do in the future. Foundation year at uni still counts as a year and it is about getting used to the basics of your uni course if you don't have enough UCAS points for your first year.
For now, continue revising and I would advise when it comes to revision, you need to find out which technique works for you. I am a visual learner so I revise that way. Try different methods and hopefully you should find one that suits you.
Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by zingy1
Hi,
Firstly, Biology and Maths are tough A levels so its not a surprise that you got U's in those. As you are in Year 12, you have more mocks coming up so you should continue revising but at this rate, you have to be realistic about what you want to do in the future. Foundation year at uni still counts as a year and it is about getting used to the basics of your uni course if you don't have enough UCAS points for your first year.
For now, continue revising and I would advise when it comes to revision, you need to find out which technique works for you. I am a visual learner so I revise that way. Try different methods and hopefully you should find one that suits you.
Good luck.

Thank you for the reply!
Someone just I advised I should quit sixth form and that there’s no way I can do medicine. Which is very understandable at my current position. I will continue revising though but do you think I should just completely scrap the idea of med and find something else?
Reply 4
Original post by Trinculo
Bbz, if you're getting Us in maths and biology, you can't turn that around in the short term.

If you really want to do university, it might be an idea to quit VI Form before any exams, take some time out and do something else - get a job that will give you some time to think things over. Then go back when you're ready and you know what you want to do and have a new approach.

Be realistic - you aren't getting anywhere near medical school on your current trajectory, and thinking you can pull it out of the bag isn't realistic at all. You need at least a year, a lot of advice, a new college, different subjects if you want to do this.

Thank you for the reply!
I know I’m not gonna go study medicine at this point and quiting sixth form isn’t an option for me.I mentioned medicine because it appealed to me later on after I chose my subjects but I agree realistically I won’t get in. So are u saying I shouldn’t study for mocks coming up and wait till the end of the year and do other subjects instead of wasting my time studying for a levels that I won’t need?
Original post by Alyssa055
Thank you for the reply!
I know I’m not gonna go study medicine at this point and quiting sixth form isn’t an option for me.I mentioned medicine because it appealed to me later on after I chose my subjects but I agree realistically I won’t get in. So are u saying I shouldn’t study for mocks coming up and wait till the end of the year and do other subjects instead of wasting my time studying for a levels that I won’t need?

I'm not a medic, but you really should look into what the situation is with medical school and re-takes. Even if you do really, really well from now on, if you're going into mocks on a UDU - what do you realistically think you can turn that into? DBD? CBC? Those will barely get you into any university on any course and it should be telling you that in your current frame of mind, in your current mode of learning, with the methods you're using, you aren't going to be a good university student.

If you are in trouble on Biology and Maths, there is no real reason to believe that you're going to do much better at Chemistry at the moment. It's not really clear that you'd do well at any subjects right now - which is why I think you need the time out.

If leaving isn't an option (parents, whatever) then you need a complete change in the way you're doing things - because what you are doing now clearly isn't working, and it doesn't sound to me like it's a matter of working hard - you clearly aren't engaging properly with the subject and your learning methods aren't working. Putting more hours in on the same methods just isn't going to work.
Reply 6
I'm not a medic, but you really should look into what the situation is with medical school and re-takes. Even if you do really, really well from now on, if you're going into mocks on a UDU - what do you realistically think you can turn that into? DBD? CBC? Those will barely get you into any university on any course and it should be telling you that in your current frame of mind, in your current mode of learning, with the methods you're using, you aren't going to be a good university student.

If you are in trouble on Biology and Maths, there is no real reason to believe that you're going to do much better at Chemistry at the moment. It's not really clear that you'd do well at any subjects right now - which is why I think you need the time out.

If leaving isn't an option (parents, whatever) then you need a complete change in the way you're doing things - because what you are doing now clearly isn't working, and it doesn't sound to me like it's a matter of working hard - you clearly aren't engaging properly with the subject and your learning methods aren't working. Putting more hours in on the same methods just isn't going to work.

Yeah your right thank you. I think it’s more of a matter with me doing well in GCSEs with such minimal revision and thinking the same would work for a levels but clearly it didn’t. But your absolutely right I will reconsider everything perhaps try changing things too
Yeah your right thank you. I think it’s more of a matter with me doing well in GCSEs with such minimal revision and thinking the same would work for a levels but clearly it didn’t. But your absolutely right I will reconsider everything perhaps try changing things too

Hope it works out for you. I think the thing to do is speak to your college about starting again next year (at the minimum) at least if you have a plan in place it might make it easier to sell to your parents.
Reply 8
Hope it works out for you. I think the thing to do is speak to your college about starting again next year (at the minimum) at least if you have a plan in place it might make it easier to sell to your parents.

Will do! Thank you for the advice
Hello,
I’m a current year 12 studying Biology,Spanish and maths. I’ve recently completed my mocks and received UDU in these subjects. I’m aware I’ve done horribly and is currently rethinking whether these subjects are right for me.

At the start of year 12 I wanted to do optometry but I’ve recently been interested in medicine and changed my mind. I would be able to get into maybe 1 or two unis with these subjects to study medicine if I do well, however it is very limited since I don’t do chemistry.
I was wondering as to whether I should redo year 12 with other subjects including chemistry and perhaps do a foundation year at uni. However if I were to do so would it still count as me doing a two year course?
My mental health is down the drain. Revision techniques I used for GCSEs arnt working but I want to do medicine so badly.
Have a good day
Alyssa year12

hello there is a really good website for a level biology called medic mind i would suggest checking it out good luck
(edited 2 years ago)
You said you did well in your GCSEs "with minimal revision". Why did you do so little revision for them? Was it because you knew you would sail through them all, or that you did not want to revise that much? If it's the latter, and you have little interest in actually studying, then maybe you ought to be looking at other career paths which don't require so much effort in the form of studying.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by markova21
You said you did well in your GCSEs "with minimal revision". Why did you do so little revision for them? Was it because you knew you would sail through them all, or that you did not want to revise that much? If it's the latter, and you have little interest in actually studying, then maybe you ought to be looking at other career paths which don't require so much effort in the form of studying.

“Minimal revision” as in I was doing well in my subjects and it didn’t require a lot of revision for me to understand and recall information. Like lessons would be enough time for me to absorb and understand the content and me going over it for 20 minutes a few days later was all I needed to perform well.
Hey, I’m in year 12 as well. As you’ve not taken chemistry, it’d be very difficult to get a place into a medical school. Maybe you could look into similar healthcare careers like biomedical science (which can lead into medicine). Since you’ve taken maths though, why not also consider an alternative career into accounting/economics, business/consulting/marketing etc. We still got a good few months until our mocks, you could get tutoring for your subjects and set a new revision plan which works best for you. For biology, I find, along with my notes, flashcards and past paper questions helpful. For maths, there are many useful videos that cover the spec, TLMaths and examsolutions are both great, as well as doing plenty of practice questions. I’d definetly let your teachers know about the current situation, so that they can spend more time assisting you. There are plenty of revision techniques you could try, i.e the Pomodoro technique, although again you should what’s best for you. It’s also a good idea, for whatever career you decide to do, to find some work experience, even if it’s online.
Reply 13

This comment is a little harsh and unrealistic. Yes you can improve your grades to get to where you want to be. You may not go to the top schools in th coutry, but that doesnt always matter. For me personally, Biology is just memrising the key defintions for each topic, then trying to link different topics together with possibly the blurting technique. You can get there :smile:

Im in the same position as Alyssa yet I have my mocks arriving, can you by any chance share you timetable of your day that you dedicate towards revision? e.g. wake up at 5am revise etcetc
Hello,

Have a good day
Alyssa year12

Hi, my name is Molly and I’m also a Y12. My advice is to firstly take care of your mental health but also stick with your a levels, at least until the end of y12 and you get your mock results. I was getting solid Es and Ds in some of my subjects and one day it just clicked and now I’m getting Bs. It didn’t just click on its own, it took a lot of hard weekends revising but it is possible to turn it around, especially since it’s we have 1 and 1/2 years left before a levels.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Vardarax
Im in the same position as Alyssa yet I have my mocks arriving, can you by any chance share you timetable of your day that you dedicate towards revision? e.g. wake up at 5am revise etcetc

you should not need to be getting up at 5am to revise. That is not sustainable.
Make use of you free periods at school/college. Make sure you fully understand each topic when it is completed - try exam questions for that topic at the time.
Hey there,

My name is Arthur James and I am a professor at Reading College. Unfortunately I have some bad news for you.
You should honestly drop out of sixth form if that is actually how you performed in your mock exams. It is almost impossible to increase those grades over the course of a year and a half.

However, what I feel you should do instead is enter your self into a BTEC equivalent of these subjects. These BTEC's are much more practical based than A-Level Examination and for people struggling, like yourself, they can really see improvement on their BTEC grades over their A-Level grades.

Sorry this is not the answer you may have wanted to hear,
Yours sincerely,

Arthur James
Professor at Reading College
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ReadingMum
you should not need to be getting up at 5am to revise. That is not sustainable.
Make use of you free periods at school/college. Make sure you fully understand each topic when it is completed - try exam questions for that topic at the time.

okay thank you, got a test tomorrow so just trying to do exam questions

is there like a main site that colleges get their exam questions from? e.g. physics and maths tutor
Original post by Vardarax
okay thank you, got a test tomorrow so just trying to do exam questions

is there like a main site that colleges get their exam questions from? e.g. physics and maths tutor

you should be visiting the specific exam boards for your subjects - they have past papers on there, often with marking schemes.

Quick Reply

Latest