The Student Room Group

GCSE Triple Science

Hi,
I was wondering if you guys could help me out. So basically, I need to buy a revision guide for Triple Science (AQA) but I am stuck on which one to get. Our school hasn't recommended any to us. So any suggestions would be appreciated.
Many Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
CGP. Triple is separate for each one eg biology. Chem, physics, not just one guide like double.
Original post by LegoSlayer
CGP. Triple is separate for each one eg biology. Chem, physics, not just one guide like double.

Thanks for replying. My friend has collins and says it is really good but is the cgp one better? Did you get good grades by using this book? Thanks
Original post by Anonymous48
Thanks for replying. My friend has collins and says it is really good but is the cgp one better? Did you get good grades by using this book? Thanks

CGP is more entertaining which helps to keep your interest. And overall better I’d say. Yeah I got 9s in physics, biology, chemistry and computer science using them. I’d say CGP is less good for humanities/ arts but great for sciences.
Original post by LegoSlayer
CGP is more entertaining which helps to keep your interest. And overall better I’d say. Yeah I got 9s in physics, biology, chemistry and computer science using them. I’d say CGP is less good for humanities/ arts but great for sciences.

Thanks for your response. You said that they are not good for humanities. I am doing Geography (AQA) and History (Edexcel). If you have done those 2 GCSE's, which books did you use? Thanks for the help
Thanks for your response. You said that they are not good for humanities. I am doing Geography (AQA) and History (Edexcel). If you have done those 2 GCSE's, which books did you use? Thanks for the help

Have you asked your teachers what they recommend? Are the school books no good?
Original post by Muttley79
Have you asked your teachers what they recommend? Are the school books no good?

Our teachers gave us a variety of options but I do not know which is the best out of the one's that they have suggested to us
Our teachers gave us a variety of options but I do not know which is the best out of the one's that they have suggested to us

Ask .. look at each of them - what suits YOU may not suit others.
Original post by Muttley79
Ask .. look at each of them - what suits YOU may not suit others.

Ok, Thanks. In your opinion, which one do you think is the best/ which did you use?

collins > CGP. the collins books are much more concise and condensed, and they only tell you exactly what you need to know
Ok, Thanks. In your opinion, which one do you think is the best/ which did you use?

I'm a teacher and there was nothing when I did my GCSEs :smile:

Sorry, I didn’t do those, so can’t say. As another poster said, what’s good for me might not be good for you, so have a look at the different guides.
Original post by apples983
collins > CGP. the collins books are much more concise and condensed, and they only tell you exactly what you need to know

Really, you are like the 1st person to say that. Did you get good marks by using those books instead of CGP's?
Really, you are like the 1st person to say that. Did you get good marks by using those books instead of CGP's?

my grades have gone up a lot since switching from CGP to collins, i like them because they have lots of practice questions and the information is easy to understand, but thats just my opinion ofc
also collins books dont have those unnecessary stupid infuriating jokes like cgp does
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi,
I was wondering if you guys could help me out. So basically, I need to buy a revision guide for Triple Science (AQA) but I am stuck on which one to get. Our school hasn't recommended any to us. So any suggestions would be appreciated.
Many Thanks

Hey,
I used CGP when I was in school, more so because that is what everyone else was using. It worked well for me: I got 9's in all three at GCSE (I took mine in 2019).
If you are on AQA I'd suggested looking at the specification as well because it is more concise than any of these revision guides, you might have to watch a few youtube videos where you do not understand something.

I saw your post about geography, I didn't take history so I can't be much help there. I had the CGP guide but I don't think it was of much use to me because the specifics varied from what my teachers taught me at school. I'd looked at the spec and wrote active recall question and answers based off of it. Our school ended up giving us a massive pack similar to what I'd had and it was a lot more useful. I still have my document (it covers only section A I think) but I can email it to you if you would like. I got in a 9 in geography as well.

For science, physics and maths tutor also do great notes but just make sure that you are using these resources as refershers as reading is very passive and will not help with retention. I have a lot of advice on my instagram, I'll put the link below. Check through the biology highlight specifically as you can apply the advice to a number of subjects.
https://www.instagram.com/productivise_/

Feel free to ask me any more GCSE related questions. I got 9's across EBAC apart from in english langauge (7) and 3 A*'s at A-level. I'd be more than happy to help.

Quick Reply

Latest