The Student Room Group

Is my driving instructor ripping me off

so I've had 4 hours of lessons with this instructor and I haven't been able to start driving the car yet. The first two lessons he just parked the car and talked about theory and the other two lessons he had me sit in the driver's seat and teach me how to adjust my seat and mirrors. I feel like the lessons are moving a bit too slow and I would prefer to at least started to drive around and move the car. Does anybody agree with this or am I being a bit dramatic?

Scroll to see replies

well did you tell him its moving to slow? its more effective than just feeling it

i drove the car on my first lesson but it doesn't surprise me that an instructor might not default to letting someone drive right off the bat especially since lots of people are nervous about it
Original post by PimBird123
so I've had 4 hours of lessons with this instructor and I haven't been able to start driving the car yet. The first two lessons he just parked the car and talked about theory and the other two lessons he had me sit in the driver's seat and teach me how to adjust my seat and mirrors. I feel like the lessons are moving a bit too slow and I would prefer to at least started to drive around and move the car. Does anybody agree with this or am I being a bit dramatic?

It does seem a bit slow.
Yes, he may not let you drive far (if at all) on your first lesson as he would be showing you all the controls and everything else. But he should be at least letting you drive a short distance on your second lesson, even if it isnt far.
Id speak to him first. And if you still feel its too slow then id look into changing.
Reply 3
Original post by HoldThisL
well did you tell him its moving to slow? its more effective than just feeling it

i drove the car on my first lesson but it doesn't surprise me that an instructor might not default to letting someone drive right off the bat especially since lots of people are nervous about it

I told him the lessons were too slow and that If I was only getting 2 lessons a week it wouldn't be effective for me. He kind of shrugged it off and said it's because I'm a slow learner. But I don't understand how he would know I'm a slow learner if he's never given me the opportunity to drive the car. Additionally I've also had another lesson with an instructor and during my first lesson he let me drive on the roads and go around round abouts. So I'm just wondering if I should change to the other instructor or whether or not this is just the typical learning procedure? Thanks for your response btw
Reply 4
When I learnt to drive (8 years ago, mind you), on my first lesson I did maybe 75% of the driving, and he did the other 25%, and for all the other lessons after that I did all the driving. I can understand this isn't how every instructor would do it, but 4 lessons in I would expect to be doing lots of driving.
If you've spoken to him and he's just shrugged you off, then I suggest voting with your feet and changing instructors.
I told him the lessons were too slow and that If I was only getting 2 lessons a week it wouldn't be effective for me. He kind of shrugged it off and said it's because I'm a slow learner. But I don't understand how he would know I'm a slow learner if he's never given me the opportunity to drive the car. Additionally I've also had another lesson with an instructor and during my first lesson he let me drive on the roads and go around round abouts. So I'm just wondering if I should change to the other instructor or whether or not this is just the typical learning procedure? Thanks for your response btw

If you have spoken to him and it isnt improving then id go elsewhere.
I know different instructors go at different rates, but he should be letting you drive by now. And speaking to him obviously hasnt worked. Deffo go elsewhere.
Reply 6
Your driving Instructor should be asking you how you would like to achieve your session goals - and checking the pace of session is ok.

This will just be the first of a many lessons and a lot of money. Find someone new now.

You need to get on with your Instructor and be on the same page so you will be whizzing through your test very soon
Reply 7
Original post by Emma:-)
It does seem a bit slow.
Yes, he may not let you drive far (if at all) on your first lesson as he would be showing you all the controls and everything else. But he should be at least letting you drive a short distance on your second lesson, even if it isnt far.
Id speak to him first. And if you still feel its too slow then id look into changing.

I completely agree. Also I've had 2 double lessons with him which adds to 4 hours total. So I think I'll definitely switch instructors. Thanks for your response btw.
That is too slow. It depends on the instructor some will let you drive on the first ever lesson others won't but on the second lesson you should be driving. Yeah if you had previous lessons and told the second instructor about what you did then obviously he's going to let you drive, they aren't going to repeat what you learnt before. You should definitely get another instructor, this one could just be wasting your time to get more money from you. A lot of them are like that cos they're fully booked now cos of the lockdowns and no one being able to get professional lessons. There's a backlog of people wanting to start driving for the first time or continue with lessons.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymusy
That is too slow. It depends on the instructor some will let you drive on the first ever lesson others won't but on the second lesson you should be driving. Yeah if you had previous lessons and told the second instructor about what you did then obviously he's going to let you drive, they aren't going to repeat what you learnt before. You should definitely get another instructor, this one could just be wasting your time to get more money from you. A lot of them are like that cos they're fully booked now cos of the lockdowns and no one being able to get professional lessons. There's a backlog of people wanting to start driving for the first time or continue with lessons.

I think you're right and I should definitely change my instructor if he continues to teach at this pace. Also he charges £60 for a double lesson which I find completely useless
It does sound a little slow, in my first lesson we went over adjusting the seats, mirrors, where things are on the car basic knowledge etc and then practiced starting and stopping the car safely and maybe driving around the block but from lesson 2 onwards I was driving the whole time including leaving my house and driving to wherever we would be learning that week.
I think you're right and I should definitely change my instructor if he continues to teach at this pace. Also he charges £60 for a double lesson which I find completely useless

That's expensive unless your learning automatic, the cheapest 1 hour manual lesson you can get nowadays is £24 so a 2 hour lesson should be double that, £60 is too much unless you're rich and the instructor is good. Definitely change your instructor, 4 hours and no driving yet is ridiculous.
Reply 12

Are you serious? Instant red flag. How are you paying for lessons and you haven't even drive the car yet in 4 lessons! The adjusting of the seat and mirrors was briefed over in the first 5 minutes of my first lesson.
Reply 13
One of the benefits for having dual controls is so the Instructor can take over the problems with the clutch and let a new learner just focus on say steering (and act as back up brake) You can check with the DVSA to see if the person is a trainee instructor or authorised driving instructor:

https://www.gov.uk/find-driving-schools-and-lessons
DVSA Customer support 0300 200 1122
(Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm)

Your experience her is rather odd, and it would be interesting to know how you found them?
It sounds like the Instructor is going verbatim through the DVSA syllabus?

I hope you can find a new Instructor and get rolling as soon as possible
Original post by Muttly
One of the benefits for having dual controls is so the Instructor can take over the problems with the clutch and let a new learner just focus on say steering (and act as back up brake) You can check with the DVSA to see if the person is a trainee instructor or authorised driving instructor:

An trainee instructor MUST display a pink badge in the windscreen while giving tuition and qualified instructor (ADI) must display a green badge. But this person does not sound like an instructor at all - but they are certainly ripping you off and should be reported to the DVSA
Reply 15
I’ve only just started learning to drive but I drove on my first lesson so it does seem slow to not be driving after 4 hours of lessons
I got to 2nd gear in my first lesson. I would've lost patience with him by now.

Yes, he's ripping you off. Like most people here, I also started driving right from the first lesson. Talking about mirrors etc. does not need 2 hours. And who is he to judge whether you're a slow learner or not when he doesn't even know you very well and hasn't let you drive the car.
Old thread, but yes, I was driving after a 30 min briefing on the basics during my first lesson.

I drove on the first lesson as most people often do. We spent around 10 minutes sat talking about driving position and how to adjust everything and 15mins on safety e.t.c and then began. My instructor was still very thorough even with this amount of time. You are not being dramatic at all ahaha it'll take ages to pass with this instructor. I would suggest that you find someone else.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending