The Student Room Group

Life as a STRUGGLING yr13 student!!!

Hi everyone,
I'm a yr 13 student that is struggling with basically everything at this point... so I thought I might as well share my experience of the last hectic months of college and uni applications...I have to warn you I might not be posting updates regularly since I am just very lazy at times 😁. Anyways I hope you will enjoy reading about my struggles!

Background:
A-Levels:
Chemistry
Biology
RS

Aim:
I just want to share my struggles with you a lot and if you have any questions or need any advice I will be happy to help! it's just a chill place to talk about college and life as a student 😊

Favourite subject:
Has to be RS since I do the best in it, I LOVE writing essays and on my last mock was just a few marks from an A* so hopefully I can get an A* in my next mock!

My least Favorite subject:
Hands down CHEMISTRY is probably the WoRsT!!!😒
I have a love-hate relationship with it so hopefully the next few months I won't be terrorised by it...but I have to say I see an improvement in my tests hopefully I want to get an A in the real thing but I could also settle for a B

Please ask any questions you would like to know about my subjects or how I am finding yr 13 or even my revision techniques which I am happy to share if anyone is interested!!!

Have an AMAZING day!! ❤❤❤
Original post by ANOYNOMUS786
Hi everyone,
I'm a yr 13 student that is struggling with basically everything at this point... so I thought I might as well share my experience of the last hectic months of college and uni applications...I have to warn you I might not be posting updates regularly since I am just very lazy at times 😁. Anyways I hope you will enjoy reading about my struggles!

Background:
A-Levels:
Chemistry
Biology
RS

Aim:
I just want to share my struggles with you a lot and if you have any questions or need any advice I will be happy to help! it's just a chill place to talk about college and life as a student 😊

Favourite subject:
Has to be RS since I do the best in it, I LOVE writing essays and on my last mock was just a few marks from an A* so hopefully I can get an A* in my next mock!

My least Favorite subject:
Hands down CHEMISTRY is probably the WoRsT!!!😒
I have a love-hate relationship with it so hopefully the next few months I won't be terrorised by it...but I have to say I see an improvement in my tests hopefully I want to get an A in the real thing but I could also settle for a B

Please ask any questions you would like to know about my subjects or how I am finding yr 13 or even my revision techniques which I am happy to share if anyone is interested!!!

Have an AMAZING day!! ❤❤❤

Share biology revision techniques
Original post by Orangecow
Share biology revision techniques

No problem!👍
My main revision technique is something called blurting (you can find a video on youtube)
Step 1) go over a certain topic eg transport across the cell membrane by reading notes or watching videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MissEstruch (She's really good with A level revision since she is really exam board specific) or https://www.youtube.com/c/AmoebaSisters (they are American but they cover most of what you need to learn its just not exam specific)
step 2) close textbook or laptop and time yourself for 5 to 10 minutes and write down everything you remember about that topic.
step 3) Using a different coloured pen, write everything you have missed out and focus on these points
step 4) repeat again and again until you have recalled everything

NOTE: You can also create a mindmap from the notes and then try the blurting technique from that since its condensed information it is probably best.

Another saviour is Anki: https://apps.ankiweb.net/
I used this for my last mock and it boosted my grade from a C in the last mock to an A (I also used other techniques as well) my brother recommend this to me and it is honestly AMAZING it uses spaced repetition (good summary of spaced repetition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zNHHpXoMM) Just try it for a week or two and you will see how much more you are able to recall.
EDIT: I forgot to add an Anki tutorial video that is great to learn tips and tricks to use Anki effectively: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmPx333n5UQ&t=615s

Another huge thing is...EXAM PAST PAPERS... it's probably one of the most obvious ways to do well but not a lot of people can effectively do it. The main way to use past papers is to ease into doing in exam conditions... so you should start of doing at least one paper open book not timed and then gradually develop towards a timed and closed book exam paper. Also, you NEED to identify where you went wrong because otherwise, it's just a waste of time. It honesty works soo much because you become more accustomed to the mark scheme (which is very specific for AQA and other exam boards)

Finally, try to have fun whilst revising (I know it seems impossible esp when doing mass transport in plants 😒or ANYTHING plant-related) One main way I do this is by teaching something that I need to remember to my sister, one example I did recently was cardiovascular diseases which I wrote up notes and quickly made a PowerPoint with a few pictures (key to use images rather than paragraphs as it instigates active recall) which can aid me so I know what I need to mention. Don't put effort into the PowerPoint just needs to be plain with some pointers for you.

Hopefully, all this info helps I know that the last one may seem a bit odd but is defiantly worth trying!
Good luck!!! ❤❤❤
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Where is the struggle?
Original post by lizziie
Where is the struggle?

im also a struggling year 13 and gonna apply for uni with my grades this christmas but im still unsure what to do? im thinking english, i love reading and writing and studying books and im predicted a B which im happy with. but im still unsure
Original post by lizziie
Where is the struggle?

I'm coming to that now...
I just had an interview today so it was very stressful... I got to college a little early so that I could do my homework before the lesson. I ended up spending last night trying to memorise everything about the university and tried to find ANY information about the possible questions that could be asked. Luckily I was able to find a few clues... my interview was during my lunch break so I spent most of my time in a room college let me use to go over everything! That made me soo much more nervous since I felt like I knew nothing.

Interview:
I think overall it went better than I thought but I know that some areas I could improve. I think I am fairly confident i did well and i tried my best so that all I could do. Hopefully, I do get a place!!!
but now I've got mocks in march 😢 (this is the main struggle) so I have to go back to grinding mode and stop binge-watching Netflix series... so yeh college is stressful right now since nearly every day I get homework (a ridiculous amount from biology and chemistry) and it piles up and i cant even get any revision done. However, I have a plan ( hope it works 🤞) I will be a lot more organised this year and keep track of everything using my diary and i really need to follow my timetable this time.
BYE!!
Again if you have any questions ask and ill try to answer!!
❤❤❤
Original post by lizziie
Where is the struggle?

fr, this aint no struggel
Original post by sabrina.san
im also a struggling year 13 and gonna apply for uni with my grades this christmas but im still unsure what to do? im thinking english, i love reading and writing and studying books and im predicted a B which im happy with. but im still unsure

I understand that I went through a similar thing, I honestly wanted to do law one month and then forensic science another. I think the main thing is to look at the outcome you want... what do you want to gain from the degree? is it a particular job or perhaps you just want to learn? it is entirely up to you and a B predicted is amazing and can get you into very good universities. I think a very important thing to do when you are a bit confused is to go to a careers counsellor they usually have one at colleges if not talk to teachers who teach that subject ask them for their experiences. I think if you really enjoy English you should do it, but make sure you are well informed so you don't miss any information that you might not like.

Hope this helps!! and good luck with your application 💖💖
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
fr, this aint no struggel

I guess everyone has their own struggles? 🤷*♀️
Do you want to share any of yours?? BTW this isn't just for me its for anyone to share their struggles, please share if you want 😊

Quick Reply

Latest