The Student Room Group

York Film and Television interview

For York at some point I will have to do an interview as part of my application to their film and television production course. As part of this I will be doing a film pitch.

Has anyone got any advice for pitching or any questions that the interviewer may ask?
Original post by JonathanPhillips
For York at some point I will have to do an interview as part of my application to their film and television production course. As part of this I will be doing a film pitch.

Has anyone got any advice for pitching or any questions that the interviewer may ask?

has it been confirmed that you will be doing the interview? because not everyone has to do one ! anyways I interviewed last year, you're faced with the interviewer and a student (usually a 2nd or 3rd year) who will answer any student life questions you may have. My interviewer honestly didn't ask many questions, just how I was doing and what films/shows I like to watch, why I chose to apply for Yok etc.

The pitch is the main part of the interview, and honestly the easiest, the interviewer more wants to see if you can follow a coherent story structure, create a compelling character, and where you stand on a creative stand point on creating a unique story. I did a fairy-tale adaptation and mentioned how I was influenced by authors who had done similar and he seemed to really like it. The interviewer will ask you follow on questions after your pitch but don't worry if you can't answer some of them, they just want to get you thinking.

hope this helps!
Original post by AveriNova
has it been confirmed that you will be doing the interview? because not everyone has to do one ! anyways I interviewed last year, you're faced with the interviewer and a student (usually a 2nd or 3rd year) who will answer any student life questions you may have. My interviewer honestly didn't ask many questions, just how I was doing and what films/shows I like to watch, why I chose to apply for Yok etc.

The pitch is the main part of the interview, and honestly the easiest, the interviewer more wants to see if you can follow a coherent story structure, create a compelling character, and where you stand on a creative stand point on creating a unique story. I did a fairy-tale adaptation and mentioned how I was influenced by authors who had done similar and he seemed to really like it. The interviewer will ask you follow on questions after your pitch but don't worry if you can't answer some of them, they just want to get you thinking.

hope this helps!

I haven’t had the interview confirmed yet, unfortunately I’m going to have to wait until the 26th of January or later to find out.

Thank you for responding. I’ll definitely make sure I have something to ask about student life, I didn’t think about that side of things.

How long does the pitch need to be, I’ve heard they’re generally quite short? Also will some of the questions after the pitch be about the film/show, getting you to expand on what your idea is, or will they move onto more general questions about what excites you about the creation process, production or the film industry? Thank you
(edited 2 years ago)
I haven’t had the interview confirmed yet, unfortunately I’m going to have to wait until the 26th of January or later to find out.

Thank you for responding. I’ll definitely make sure I have something to ask about student life, I didn’t think about that side of things.

How long does the pitch need to be, I’ve heard they’re generally quite short? Also will some of the questions after the pitch be about the film/show, getting you to expand on what your idea is, or will they move onto more general questions about what excites you about the creation process, production or the film industry? Thank you

sorry i've been quite busy and haven't had a chance to reply, i believe i said my pitch in 2/3 mins. after the pitch the questions were just about expanding your idea and then my interviewer opened the table to questions from me about the uni itself and more details about the course.
sorry i've been quite busy and haven't had a chance to reply, i believe i said my pitch in 2/3 mins. after the pitch the questions were just about expanding your idea and then my interviewer opened the table to questions from me about the uni itself and more details about the course.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you.
Reply 5

I've been looking for someone in the same position as me! I'm also waiting to hear back from them, and I'm more anxious than ever now that the UCAS deadline has passed :frown:
Original post by paula <3
I've been looking for someone in the same position as me! I'm also waiting to hear back from them, and I'm more anxious than ever now that the UCAS deadline has passed :frown:

Yeah it’s definitely a nervous wait. At this point I don’t know when to expect an email from them. Hopefully something will come through either tommorow or next week

Yeah it’s definitely a nervous wait. At this point I don’t know when to expect an email from them. Hopefully something will come through either tommorow or next week

just thought i'd let you both know I got informed about my interview on the 7th February, did it on the 16th and then got an offer on the 17th - just a timeframe to ease the worry a bit
Reply 8
just thought i'd let you both know I got informed about my interview on the 7th February, did it on the 16th and then got an offer on the 17th - just a timeframe to ease the worry a bit

ahh thank you so much! im glad to hear they're quick with their offers

hope this helps!

Hi so I've been invited to an interview soon and just trying to find some advice! What you've said is really helpful! I was just wondering about the structure of the pitch and the idea. I've not had a huge amount of experience with that and wondered whether there was a structure you used to initially plan an idea for your story/how you structured your pitch? I just don't know how to make sure I'm going to pitch an idea in the correct way that film and TV is written if that makes sense?
Original post by lucyythom
Hi so I've been invited to an interview soon and just trying to find some advice! What you've said is really helpful! I was just wondering about the structure of the pitch and the idea. I've not had a huge amount of experience with that and wondered whether there was a structure you used to initially plan an idea for your story/how you structured your pitch? I just don't know how to make sure I'm going to pitch an idea in the correct way that film and TV is written if that makes sense?

Congratulations on your interview! may I ask when they got back to you and when your interview is? I'm still waiting to hear from them
(edited 2 years ago)

Honestly when I pitched I had no experience whatsoever, I think I remember googling some websites on how to structure a pitch that helped. The basics of what I can remember I said what format my story would be in if made (short film, tv series etc.), said the character/s and a summary, and then outlined the plot. I then told him how I came up with the idea, what I was inspired by etc.
tbh I don't think the interviewer cares whether you pitch the 'correct way' as long as its an engaging original story idea that you seem passionate/ excited to tell them about - I say this because for our assessments at the end of 1st term, our story module leader emphasised over and over again how they don't care if you don't write things the 'industry standard' way at this point in time, because they haven't taught us how to yet
Congratulations on your interview! may I ask when they got back to you and when your interview is? I'm still waiting to hear from them

Thank you! I got sent an email yesterday afternoon and my interview is on the 23rd Feb so pretty soon! I'm sure they will invite you to an interview very soon I think they only started giving them out this week.
Honestly when I pitched I had no experience whatsoever, I think I remember googling some websites on how to structure a pitch that helped. The basics of what I can remember I said what format my story would be in if made (short film, tv series etc.), said the character/s and a summary, and then outlined the plot. I then told him how I came up with the idea, what I was inspired by etc.
tbh I don't think the interviewer cares whether you pitch the 'correct way' as long as its an engaging original story idea that you seem passionate/ excited to tell them about - I say this because for our assessments at the end of 1st term, our story module leader emphasised over and over again how they don't care if you don't write things the 'industry standard' way at this point in time, because they haven't taught us how to yet

Okay, thank you so much that's really helpful! :smile:
Thank you! I got sent an email yesterday afternoon and my interview is on the 23rd Feb so pretty soon! I'm sure they will invite you to an interview very soon I think they only started giving them out this week.

I heard back from them today and received a conditional offer!!
I heard back from them today and received a conditional offer!!

Congratulations! They gave me a conditional offer too.
Congratulations! They gave me a conditional offer too.

Ahh I'm so happy for you!! is this uni also your first choice?
Ahh I'm so happy for you!! is this uni also your first choice?

Yes it was. I think the uni is really nice and I like look of the course. Is it your first choice?
Yes it was. I think the uni is really nice and I like look of the course. Is it your first choice?

yh it's my first choice as well. I may see you there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending