The Student Room Group

I had by biology intervention…it was like prison

My sixth form decided to put me in intervention because i got a E in my recent biology exam. When arriving, the teacher wasn’t there, and the head of faculty went crazy trying to look for him. Btw she looked mentally insane. When getting there, she told all of us to put our phones in our bag and then put them right to the front! It reminded me on airport security and secondary school, surely as young adults we’re responsible to put our phone away in our bag. We then had to get revison materials from this box which was meant to “aid with our revison” when actually, there were gcse exam papers from 2008, with one cgp revison guide! It was like suvival of the fittest as we lunged to get our revison guides, I was the one with the largest portion of flashcards! In addition we had to sit one desk apart like we were taking an exam.
I didn’t learn anything, as the cgp revison guide was the simplified one with basic notes.
I was absolutely shocked at this session, I went as my teacher recommended me to go, but I felt so clastrophibic in it. It is compulsory for me to go, should i go with my own revision material or make a way out?
Original post by sameer5
My sixth form decided to put me in intervention because i got a E in my recent biology exam. When arriving, the teacher wasn’t there, and the head of faculty went crazy trying to look for him. Btw she looked mentally insane. When getting there, she told all of us to put our phones in our bag and then put them right to the front! It reminded me on airport security and secondary school, surely as young adults we’re responsible to put our phone away in our bag. We then had to get revison materials from this box which was meant to “aid with our revison” when actually, there were gcse exam papers from 2008, with one cgp revison guide! It was like suvival of the fittest as we lunged to get our revison guides, I was the one with the largest portion of flashcards! In addition we had to sit one desk apart like we were taking an exam.
I didn’t learn anything, as the cgp revison guide was the simplified one with basic notes.
I was absolutely shocked at this session, I went as my teacher recommended me to go, but I felt so clastrophibic in it. It is compulsory for me to go, should i go with my own revision material or make a way out?

This is all very small beer - I'm not sure what all the complaining is about, really.

Intervention is to help you not bomb your exams, which you're in very real danger of so doing. Use the time productively: instead of moaning and complaining that you didn't learn anything, it would be better to take some responsibility for your learning and alert the supervising teacher that what you're doing isn't helping you learn and could you do some other task, or make it clear what other stuff you need help with. You're a Yr12/13 - not a Yr9.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
This is all very small beer - I'm not sure what all the complaining is about, really.

Intervention is to help you not bomb your exams, which you're in very real danger of so doing. Use the time productively: instead of moaning and complaining that you didn't learn anything, it would be better to take some responsibility for your learning and alert the supervising teacher that what you're doing isn't helping you learn and could you do some other task, or make it clear what other stuff you need help with. You're a Yr12/13 - not a Yr9.

I thought that the teacher would have all the reasorces, since in the e-mail it said that revison materials would be provided. I asked the teacher if I could go get my oxford revison guide, which was a stern no. Okay i get it that when I wrote this thread, I was a bit emotional, but since it was the first lesson, and I didn’t know the procedure, I could have got my folder, flashcards, notes and revison guide. Why do I have to sit confined, when i could get these items to revise?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sameer5
My sixth form decided to put me in intervention because i got a E in my recent biology exam.
Yes, understandably.

When arriving, the teacher wasn’t there, and the head of faculty went crazy trying to look for him.
It's normal for a teacher to not turn up right away. They could've been held up by another class.

Btw she looked mentally insane.
How does one look mentally insane? :confused:

When getting there, she told all of us to put our phones in our bag and then put them right to the front! It reminded me on airport security and secondary school, surely as young adults we’re responsible to put our phone away in our bag.
Your teacher probably asked you to do this to eliminate the chances of you doing something you are not supposed to be doing during an intervention. E.G. Going on your phone.

We then had to get revison materials from this box which was meant to “aid with our revison” when actually, there were gcse exam papers from 2008, with one cgp revison guide!
Nothing wrong with using past papers from 2008. I even used past papers from 2002 when I was revising!

It was like suvival of the fittest as we lunged to get our revison guides, I was the one with the largest portion of flashcards!
Clearly, these flashcards aren't working. Did you use them to revise?

In addition we had to sit one desk apart like we were taking an exam.
Again, to eliminate the chances of you doing something you are not supposed to. E.G. Talking to others.

I agree that the CGP guide isn't great but in addition to using the specification and textbook, it's perfect!

Why did you feel claustrophobic? Did you revise for the exam in which you got an E. If you did, it clearly wasn't effective. You've been asked to go to intervention for a reason.

Answers + advice above. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 5hyl33n
Answers + advice above. :smile:

I think i was quite emotional writing this thread. In the next session, i’ll be prepared. Thanks for the advice tho:smile:
Original post by sameer5
I think i was quite emotional writing this thread. In the next session, i’ll be prepared. Thanks for the advice tho:smile:

No problem.

I’m sure you will be prepared for the next session now that you know what is expected of you. :smile:

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending