The Student Room Group

Can bad GCSEs still have a chance to get into a good uni?

I didn't get the greatest GCSE results, but not the worst. I passed all my GCSEs but they're not high enough to get into the big universities that i want to aim for. For example, I got a 5 in maths however i want to go onto achieve a BSc in Finance which most universities need a grade 7 or above at GCSE maths. Does the GCSE criteria matter that much?
Reply 1
You could always re-sit. Make sure to smash out your A-levels and I don't see why they'd turn you down if you have outstanding A-levels but mediocre GCSEs.
Original post by JPF6
I didn't get the greatest GCSE results, but not the worst. I passed all my GCSEs but they're not high enough to get into the big universities that i want to aim for. For example, I got a 5 in maths however i want to go onto achieve a BSc in Finance which most universities need a grade 7 or above at GCSE maths. Does the GCSE criteria matter that much?

Universities firstly look at A level results then the GCSE's in Maths, English and Sciences. If your preferred course depends on a high Maths GCSE result there is no way round it, other than to resit the GCSE. If your A level is below a B grade then think seriously about whether a BSc in Finance is really for you or whether another course would be preferable. However, at this stage, I would suggest resitting the GCSE. However, some of the top universities don't accept GCSE or A level resit results. It would be wise to check the university's criteria for accepting resit results now.
Original post by user432
You could always re-sit. Make sure to smash out your A-levels and I don't see why they'd turn you down if you have outstanding A-levels but mediocre GCSEs.

Generally universities arent too fussed about GCSE results. However where they specify a grade in a set subject if you dont meet it then you are usually automatically rejected.

The course you are looking to study is mathematical based so universities will require a higher grade in GCSE Maths and this is irrespective of how good your A level results. The grade in Maths is what a university thinks you need to complete their course. Your options are to resit your Maths to achieve the grade, look for universities that dont require a higher grade or take a less Mathematocal course.
Just remember that if you struggled with basic Maths at GCSE level then a Maths heavy subject like Finance is not the best degree - or career - to aim for.
You could always resit maths privately. Just bang out maths made easy questions and DFM.
Original post by McGinger
Just remember that if you struggled with basic Maths at GCSE level then a Maths heavy subject like Finance is not the best degree - or career - to aim for.

They didn't say they necessarily struggled, it may have been circumstances etc, nothing's impossible to aim for if they're ready to work hard for it.
Reply 7
You should retake (and study hard) for GCSE maths. You don't wan't to start a finance degree and struggle. Equally you don't want to give up easily.
The advice given previously is absolutely correct. Many universities actually require grade A at A level Maths and a 5 at GCSE is not good preparation for that type of course. If someone has a 5 then clearly they have struggled and a less Maths heavy course would appear to be a more sensible option. Giving someone false hope rather than being honest wont help anyone. There is a vast difference between someone getting a 5 and a 7.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending